Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy & long periods. Vitamin K?

Level

Default Heavy & long periods. Vitamin K?

Hi ladies,

Hope this isn't TMI. I'm on day 11 of a heavy period. For a few days is was very VERY heavy. For the past 5 or so days it's been more moderate but I'm emptying my cup probably 3x a day to check it, and I'd say it's about 1/3 full each time.

I've had this before, only last time it was just 2 weeks after my last cycle. This time it's been about 6 weeks. I'm in perimenopause. :P Last time I did call my doctor and they called in a prescription for Provera, which I decided not to pick up. The last thing I want is to have a few days of a break and then have another huge period. Mine have always been on the heavy & long side (usually a good 7 days, maybe 8) but sometimes in recent years they've gone as long as two weeks.

Is there anything else I can do? I was reading that vitamin K deficiency can cause heavy/long periods with thin, clot-free blood, which is exactly what I have. It can also cause you to bruise easily, which I do. I know vitamin K is present in leafy greens, but if I take a supplement, does anyone know how much is OK to take? Maybe a green smoothie a couple of times a week would do the trick?

I also believe I'm estrogen dominant. I remember my periods improving when I was taking a DIM supplement, but I decided I didn't want to pay for them anymore and I quit. My bad. Going back on it now.

Meredith

Level

Teresa's alfalfa also has vitamin K. I've also heard that Vitex/chasteberry works well for balancing hormones, but it takes a few months to work.

Lisa
    T-Tapping since 9/16/09
    Down 125 pounds and 117.25 inches since May 28, 2012 with hCG & T-Tapp

My Testimonial Tuesday
    My Website/weightloss blog

Level
    Blog Entries

Continue taking the DIM supplement. I had a long and heavy period too for two continuous months. I didn't take anything but iron pills. After that long period, I didn't get my period again.

You can do it!

Migdalia Cabassa Romero
    New York, NY
    Long torso/short leg

Level

I'd find a doctor who will check all your hormones and Rx bio-identical ones to bring everything into balance. Sometimes "estrogen dominance" is all/mostly a progesterone deficiency, in which case DIM will only make you effectively estrogen deficient, too. Vitex is great for overall balancing, in whatever direction your body needs. It's more adaptogenic, so I'd try that before purposefully trying to down-regulate your estrogen when you don't know that's actually what you need. But I'm betting you'll still need supplemental bio-identical progesterone, although maybe not as much.

-Moyne
    Holistic Health Life Coach

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

Level

Well, that's the odd thing. My doctor did do a blood test in February and everything came back "normal." She prescribed a natural progestin but I declined. She didn't want to do bio-identical hormones because she said she wasn't comfortable with the potential risks. I declined the progestin because she said it was meant to regulate my periods (and would also help with my sleep, which I could use), but I didn't think I communicated well that my cycle, although not regular or predictable anymore, is still generally about once a month. I think she felt I was complaining about skipping them, when that has only happened once. I still have the classic estrogen dominance symptoms. I remember the DIM helping me feel better and lighten up my periods before.

I'm confused. I don't like the idea of taking hormones at all. But would the progestin help? Maybe I should do some more research.

Meredith

Level

Quote Originally Posted by MoTappin View Post
    Hi ladies,

Hope this isn't TMI. I'm on day 11 of a heavy period. For a few days is was very VERY heavy. For the past 5 or so days it's been more moderate but I'm emptying my cup probably 3x a day to check it, and I'd say it's about 1/3 full each time.

I've had this before, only last time it was just 2 weeks after my last cycle. This time it's been about 6 weeks. I'm in perimenopause. :P Last time I did call my doctor and they called in a prescription for Provera, which I decided not to pick up. The last thing I want is to have a few days of a break and then have another huge period. Mine have always been on the heavy & long side (usually a good 7 days, maybe 8) but sometimes in recent years they've gone as long as two weeks.

Is there anything else I can do? I was reading that vitamin K deficiency can cause heavy/long periods with thin, clot-free blood, which is exactly what I have. It can also cause you to bruise easily, which I do. I know vitamin K is present in leafy greens, but if I take a supplement, does anyone know how much is OK to take? Maybe a green smoothie a couple of times a week would do the trick?

I also believe I'm estrogen dominant. I remember my periods improving when I was taking a DIM supplement, but I decided I didn't want to pay for them anymore and I quit. My bad. Going back on it now.

I don't know if you've tried Teresa Back to Balance which is blue green algae. I've taken it for over a year now combined with alfalfa and it has helped me make my own estrogen although at my age I should be thru menopause. No hot flashes it stopped my heavy every two weeks periods which was estrogen dominance. The last time they checked my hormones my levels were up and balanced to each other as they should be. My doctor thought I was taking bioidenticals but nope I was on just the Back to Balance and alfalfa. He was amazed and said too keep it up. Because the office is discontinuining it (I thnk it's a mistake) you can get it at a reduced price. I stocked up. It's a gem that no one discovered just like alfalfa. My holistic doctor said it does so many good things besides helping hormones. I have been off bioidenticals for over a year now yet I have fairly good hormonal levels. So I would encouraging you to try it

I'd take it just to level out those nasty hot flashes. Oh yea my belly fat is almost gone despite not being able to work out right now due to doctors orders. For me. Supplements work I just need to give them more time because like Teresa says in her tape on blood typing I am B blood type and we are slow to respond to supplements but once we do they work well. So much truth in gene and blood typing regarding how our bodies respond to stress and life....

Good luck I know just how hard all constant bleeding can be!

Rhonda Kontos , BS, MSW, LSW

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

Level

Thanks ladies. I remember now that the prescription was over a concern about my endometrial lining becoming too thick. But like I said, I don't think I communicated that I'm still having regular, just unpredictable periods. And with the long heavy ones I sometimes have, I don't have that concern at all. My understanding of DIM is that it helps the body metabolize excess estrogen, to improve balance. I don't think it would simply decrease it. I think at certain points in my cycle I definitely have excess because of my symptoms. I'll have to look into that other supplement. Thanks!

Meredith

Level

I'm completely baffled at why a doctor would think a synthetic progesterone, i.e. progestin, is a good thing but that a natural, bio-identical progesterone (meaning the exact thing your body should be making on its own) would be risky. Especially in light of the fact that every study showing risks from hormone supplementation has been done on synthetic hormones, NOT bio-identicals.

Progesterone is what prevents the lining from becoming too thick, as it is what regulates the estrogen, which is why heavy periods is a major red flag for progesterone deficiency, whether actual or relative. As DIM helps the body metabolize estrogen better, it can cause estrogen deficiency symptoms if your estrogen is already where it needs to be. People with estrogen "dominance", where estrogen levels are higher than optimal relative to progesterone, can have a build-up caused by your body not dealing with it properly, in which case DIM helps. But it can bring down circulating levels too low, when estrogen is not excessive, causing many women to feel worse and experience estrogen-deficiency symptoms.
    "

-Moyne
    Holistic Health Life Coach

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

Level

Shw may have said or meant progesterone. Since she made it a point to tell me it was natural. I may not be remembering everything correctly since it's been several months.

Meredith

Level

Low progesterone in relationship or ratio to estrogen production is what PMS is all about. Each hormone regulates the other, lower amounts will affect the other and often doctors tell us our labs are normal without taking in account how each level relates to the other....

You can buy a natural safe progesterone made from yams on women to women's website....it is quite safe and I used it for years effectively.

Rhonda Kontos , BS, MSW, LSW

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney