You can find out what your current D3 level is and improve it! We have a special opportunity with MyMedLab -- read more at https://www.mymedlab.com/t-tapp/t-tapp-vitamin-d-experience and on our forum Home page.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with thyroid and t-tapp

Level

Default Help with thyroid and t-tapp

Hi all!

I have been t-tapping on and off for about 1 year. I am starting on a 4 day a week plan now because I already see a trainer 2 days a week and I am training for a half marathon. So what's the problem? My thyroid. I have been hypothryoid since 1996. The values of TSH were a little crazy the first year and settled down until I had my 2 full term pregnancies. I recently had a contrast dye test (I am allergic to contrast dye) and had an analphylatic shock reaction.

I saw my endo yesterday and we reviewed my TSH numbers for the past 6 years. They have been all over the place. We know where I feel best with my TSH (2.5), but right now, I am HYPERthyroid (he believes the contrast dye test, which is full of iodine, caused this). He also believes that most of my TSH is coming from the pharmacy and my thyroid has stopped producing much given my levels on different doses.

I am going to do BWO+ 4 days a week (T,W,F,Su) and hoe downs after meals if possible. I see my trainer on Mondays and Thursdays and I run Sat/sun/Fri. I am trying to not overdo things and move to a higher protein diet as well.

How will the t-tapp affect the thyroid? Is there a better time of the day to do this? Right now, I fit it in where I can (I have a job, and 2 kids). Are there exercises that are recommended from the total workout or other workouts that will help regulate the thyroid? Or am I just screwed because we're not even sure my thyroid is working.

Thanks in advance for anyhelp.

Nance
    started learning form in Aug'10
    completed 1st 1/2 marathon 2/26/12
    Started TWO bootcamp (7day 5/20) EOD 7/26
    Goal: to tone up,lose the flab and a bonus would be to fit two sizes less.

Level

Nance, is the trainer for your marathon or T-Tapp? Personally I think you are doing too much. T-Tapp is great for helping to balance things out hormonally, but it doesn't necessarily cure anything. Have you checked in Dr. Diana Schwarzbein's books/website?

http://www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com/pgs/home.html

She has a lot of good info on healing the metabolism. This page especially is informative:

http://www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com/...read_more.html

You do not have to do her testing. There are several short videos here:

http://www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com/pgs/info/faq1.html

Mary Shomon's books on the thyroid are very good, too.

http://thyroid.about.com/bio/Mary-Shomon-350.htm

The T-Tapp store sells her book as well.

Hopefully others can give their advice as well--I'm hypothyroid, but obviously you've had numbers all over the map. I think I would focus on metabolism healing, and back off the workouts. I'm not a runner, so it's hard for me to tell you how much to be doing. I know with thyroid issues the adrenals are usually also fatigued, so overdoing it can cause you to crash and burn later. Glad you are trying to get enough protein, that's important! So is getting plenty of good fats.

HUGS! It's so hard when you're putting together the puzzle pieces of health!

~ .. )) -::-
    . .))
    ((. .. Trisch -::-
    -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~

Level

Thanks!

I will take a look at those sites.

My PT is at a gym, but he is very different from any trainer I've used. We focus on core strength and intensity rather than trying to do everything under the sun. I only see him 2x 30 min a week. The running is fun and again, only 2X a week (if I can) and I am just trying to add back the T-Tapp.

It's just crazy that my body is so wacked... sigh.
    Thanks for answering.

Nance

Level

Nance,

Patience is a good thing while the body gets itself sorted out. I am hypothyroid, too (Hashimoto's, actually). Have you been changing your eating, vitamin/hormonal supplements or things of that nature? I have widely different test results when I change too many things at once in my life....

Everything I've heard about T-Tapp is that it is therapeutic, and helpful for the body in many ways. It sounds like you've got some great goals....the half-marathon, consistent exercise....

Maybe you could introduce your trainer to T-Tapp! T-Tapp also focuses on core strength and muscle activation (intensity?)....that way he won't assign you exercises that duplicate what you'd be doing with T-Tapp? Just a thought...

Hope things settle down with your thyroid soon!

Brooke
    "truly blessed" to be married to a wonderful man, and mother to four awesome sons!

"For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus," Philippians 1:6.

Level

Thanks Brooke,

To be honest, I've not really changed all that much in the past 6 years. The biggest thing is that I have two kids. My doc and I were just stunned at how crazy my TSH levels are. They are just all over the place. It's frustrating. I am just trying to find reasonable ways to fit T-Tapp back in. That's why I want to stick with BWO+ instead of TWO. I just don't have the time to do the other.

I try not to take supplements in general. I try to eat whole foods and natural foods when I can. I try to be healthy. But my weight and thyroid don't agree (Not that I am really overweight. I am a size 6 maybe 8 and I used to be 4. I had been 12 in the past). Sigh... Just looking for the right way to start off.

Thanks!

Nance

Level

Nance, you could split TWO into thirds--that's the only way I could get it in. And right now I think the whole TWO would be too much. Charlotte Siems suggested this to me:

Day 1: BWO+
    Day 2: PBS, Lunges through Runner's Stretch
    Day 3: PBS, Arms to end

Now with your personal trainer and also your running, I think for now I'd stick with two T-Tapp sessions a week. Do you have one day that is "light" or off?

As you see how that goes for you, you could add another T-Tapp session, whether just BWO+ or part of TWO like above. I just hate to see you burn out your adrenals along with your thyroid issues. Have you read over at the Stop the Thyroid Madness site? There's a page on adrenals that tells if you are already taking something for thyroid and the body temps don't come up, it's usually adrenal issues. Good info over there!

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...weak-adrenals/

HUGS! HTH!

~ .. )) -::-
    . .))
    ((. .. Trisch -::-
    -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~

Level

Have you had any testing for food intolerances? That is another possible reason for your TSH levels being all over the map, or at the very least a possible contributor to your endocrine issues in general. Of course, it's usually more complicated than that, but it may be one element that's missing for solving your thyoid mystery.

Regarding your question about how T-Tapp affects the thyroid, I think a trainer will be able to better answer that. However, I would assume that the hormone regulating aspects of getting good lymph flow, lowering insulin levels and improving posture are all things that should put less stress on the body, which is always a good thing. As someone with hypothroidism (due to chronically elevated cortisol levels that are impeding conversion of T4 to T3) and tuckered adrenals, I've found that I have to be careful to not overdo it, regardless of the type of exercise. The beauty of T-Tapp is that the ratio of time/effort to outcome is amazing. If I have only enough energy to exercise for 10 minutes, I feel like I get more out of 10 minutes of T-Tapp than anything else.

Like BlessedMama, I'm concerned that you're getting far more exercise than your body can handle long term. I hope you find the answers you need!

From Phx., AZ, currently live in the Tulsa, OK area
    Level

T-Tapp is wonderful for balancing hormones. I **like** the idea of showing/explaining T-Tapp to your trainer. :-)

Vanetta
    DYT type 3/4

Homeschooling Veteran of Three, (K-12 x 3)
    Certified PraiseMoves Instructor, CPI Gold, and
    MIRA!Dance Instructor (Christian alternative to
    ​yoga and Zumba(R))
    T-Tapp TnT

Level

Teresa says in one of the DVDs that the part of PBS where you scoop up and reach to the ceiling with your chin is great for the thyroid.
    Maybe work on at least getting in PBS in the mornings, then slowly adding more moves?

Level

Thanks!

I will try the temp thing. I haven't had troubles before with my temps (I've done this before during infertility treatments).

Funny, I feel I don't exercise enough! Not that I'm a gym rat or anything, just that I sit in an office all day, so that's about all the exercise I get!

I appreciate the answers!

Nance