You can find out what your current D3 level is and improve it! We have a special opportunity with MyMedLab -- read more at https://www.mymedlab.com/t-tapp/t-tapp-vitamin-d-experience and on our forum Home page.

Thread: turmeric and headaches?

Level

Default turmeric and headaches?

I was wondering if anyone has tried taking turmeric for headache relief? From what I've read, it's supposed to help with migraines and tension headaches. I've been taking it for a few days but haven't noticed any relief. Of course, my sleep has been greatly disturbed the past few days so that might be why. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had success with turmeric for headaches and also how long before they had relief?

Thanks

Melanie

Started 7/15/10: more to lose combo, slow to lose
    Embracing my truth as a BP/EP Type 4
    Follow me: http://msnyder0315.blogspot.com/

Level

Melanie, I had a doozy of a headache on our way home from Cleveland Saturday night (compounded by a drenching downpour while my dd was driving--making it hard to relax!). I had taken some turmeric earlier before leaving, and took it on the way home. It seemed to take longer to help, and I still had this nagging ache in the base of my skull. I took some more when we got home (5 hour drive), and I was concerned I was going to have it all night and not sleep well.

I remembered some peppermint oil roll-on stick we had for headaches, and thought I'd combine it with some lavender oil and see if that helped. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the lavender oil and everyone that might know was asleep! I just put the peppermint oil on my forehead, temples and at the base of my skull.

I did get some relief, fell asleep, and woke up without the headache! So I'm not sure if I just needed more turmeric closer together or the combination of the turmeric and the peppermint oil helped. I'm sure the lavender would have been great, too!

This is the first time I didn't get relief within half an hour from the turmeric (whether muscle aches or headaches), but this was also the first whopper of a headache--similar to a migraine--that I've had since starting to use turmeric.

Not sure how helpful that was!

~ .. )) -::-
    . .))
    ((. .. Trisch -::-
    -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~

Level

That does help, thanks Trisch. I've been wondering about trying some other herbs but maybe I should be considering trying a combination of herbs? I was just reading earlier that ginger is also supposed to be really good for headaches, so maybe I can add that to the list of things to try. It's that dull ache at the base of the neck which has eased up a little bit since I've been taking the turmeric. I'm still in enough pain that I'm reaching for Tylenol every few hours, though. Not good. Hope I can find something safer.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you didn't have a headache from the pollution in Cleveland. I don't know how often you get out to the big cities, but there's just so much pollution up there. When my boyfriend moved to WI, he was coughing for 2 weeks straight while his body detoxed. We still live in a city now but it's really that much cleaner. Just a thought

Melanie

Level

That is interesting, Melanie! I figured it was a combination of working out/teaching 2 classes, time in the heat (we went to an art fair during the break in between), driving, etc. But that is a point--I don't go to big cities very often!

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try the ginger in combination with the turmeric. I'm not an herbalist by any means, but I don't remember reading any contraindications there, because I was going to add a bit more ginger into my daily protocol because it helps with the gut.

HUGS to you as you figure it out! And be sure to share what works--I'm sure there are many others who could benefit!

. .))

T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

~Crystal Paine~

Level

Also, isn't black pepper mixed with the turmeric supposed to make it more effective? I've mixed up some capsules with the combo but haven't used any yet . . .

- Shari

Level

Yes, Shari, it is! It's a 1 to 4 ratio (1 part black pepper to 4 parts turmeric). I didn't have any black pepper that was organic so I haven't mixed mine yet. I am about to order some, though! Can't wait to see how that might increase turmeric's effectiveness!

. .))

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

~Crystal Paine~

Level

That's very interesting. I'm not filling the capsules myself, so not sure how I would go about that one.

Melanie