Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: GAPS Diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome)

Level

Trisch, when you were starting GAPS did you experience much tummy upset/gas/bloating when you started introducing different foods? Or is that a sign that you aren't ready for that particular food? I forget, are you able to do kefir on GAPS? Is GAPS intended to be life-long, or do people use it to heal the gut and are then able to go back to some grains or other foods that GAPS doesn't allow?

Peggy
    T1/T4

Started T-Tapp in July 2010 after searching for a good strengthening/stretching/flexibility workout. I think I found it!

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."

Level

Trisch,

I would love to hear your answer to Peggy's question as far as the gut healing and when/what you can add back in. I am really thinking GAPS is my next step, but I get overwhelmed when I think of life-long without grains. I talked with a lady tonight and she really got me thinking. My allergies/asthma and health issues started with my 7th pregnancy, and this is the daughter that has some learning struggles. I never put the two together, but she was talking about antibiotics, candidas etc. and it all started to come together for me. So, I am really thinking we should do this.

Also, would it be wise to start GAPS during month in between our children's weddings? I know we will be traveling for two weeks. I will be making and freezing "most" of the foods to take along, but I know we won't be able to eat perfectly. I thought maybe I should wait until the weddings are over, but I am also getting very anxious!! Thanks for the tips!

Blessings,
    Angie

Level

Angie, it can seem daunting, but really...once you jump in and get through the first few weeks, it's not as bad as you first think it will be!

You could transition into what is called Full GAPS for now and do the Intro diet later.

As to Peggy's questions:

1. I do have some gas and bloating if I have too many things made with coconut flour. Pancakes don't seem to bother me as much as muffins--not sure why as they have basically the same ingredients, unless it's just that the muffins have more flour in them.

I honestly had not much tummy upset when we started. Most of my issues were the congestion, headaches, dizziness and weakness. We were all constipated, which is also a sign of gut issues.

The idea is if you have diarrhea when you are at a certain stage, you wait for that to clear before adding more foods back in. As we added foods, we would see if we tolerated it or not. Most of my dc noticed headaches, sniffles, or a tummy not feeling well on some foods. They would wait a few days 2-4) and try again. Sometimes they were able to tolerate it then, sometimes not. So each person kind of keeps track of what might bother them.

2. Yes, kefir and yogurt both are recommended. Probiotic and fermented foods are good for the gut!

3. Yes and yes! Some people do go back to grains, in moderation. Others choose not to. Some try and still can't handle them. I think I shared about Millie, who did this for five YEARS before her son was healed. And he was their fifth child, I believe!

The idea is that the gut lining heals, so you may be able to tolerate certain foods again. Never would you want to go back to a SAD way of eating, which I know you don't, anyway!

Our goal is to go to gluten free grains, then wheat and other gluten grains. We will soak the grains or flour though, a la Nourishing Traditions. I have wanted to do that, but felt I didn't have time, etc. Well, now it's time to make the time for health!

Angie, you are already on a good road with your eating. Taking the grains out IS a huge step--especially for a big family! I was amazed at how dependent we were on the grains! I'm thrilled with the benefits I've seen in just 6 weeks. I didn't have anyone with serious learning disorders or such, but we still have experienced really good things!

Oh, and as far as doing GAPS on the road---Millie, who I mentioned, took her family to Disney World, and they ate totally GAPS foods! She brought along things to make the food in their hotel room and they took their own food into Disney! My hat's off to her!

Let me know if that helped answer your questions!

HUGS!

~ .. )) -::-
    . .))
    ((. .. Trisch -::-
    -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~

Level

Just wanted to add that sometimes bloating and gas is die-off.

AND wanted to share this variation of Chocolmole my dds came up with!

For our family, mash up 7 bananas and 7 avocadoes.

Add 1/4 tsp. celtic sea salt, 1/2 cup raw cacao powder. Melt 1/4 cup coconut oil in pan on stove, add 1/2 cup honey, take off heat and add 3 tsp. vanilla, then mix with avocado/banana/cacao mixture. (Not sure if she added the salt to the mashed mixture or the heated mixture!)

Chill (if you can wait that long!) and eat! That made eleven 3/4 cup servings! YUM!

AND--in spite of eating "all this fat" (avocadoes, bacon grease, lard, coconut cream and oil, grass fed butter, nuts) I have lost another 2 lbs. bringing me down to the lowest I can remember in 15 years!

I still don't really get as excited as most people do on the scales, but for those of you who do--well, there you go! 14 lbs. over almost 7 weeks!

More impressive to me is the 11+ inches and reshaping I'm doing!

. .))

T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

~Crystal Paine~

Level

After my cleanse I decided to stay off gluten for a while and see how I did. So far I think the results are positive, but I've also changed other things, so it will take time to figure out how much (or if) any individual thing is helping. I have started very slowly eating Bubbies sauerkraut, just two or three small bites right now. I like it and hope I'll be able to eat it without getting a stomach ache. So far so good. I'm also making sure I get probiotic foods at least once a day, preferably twice. I'm drinking tons of water and eating fruits and vegetables often. I'm also trying not to eat too much. I think my diet is good right now. We'll see how it translates to body composition/inches/pounds over the next few weeks.

Trisch, I'm not sure if I'd like Chocomole or not, but I might give it a try. I've been eating avocado on a regular basis... just wish they weren't so expensive!

Peggy
    T1/T4

Started T-Tapp in July 2010 after searching for a good strengthening/stretching/flexibility workout. I think I found it!

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Level

I just got Nourishing Traditions! Yeah!! Thanks for the tips.

Blessings,
    Angie

Level

Angie and Peggy, I expect you two are gluten intolerant. Wheat, rye, barley are the major gluten grains.

Ordered More and TWO on 7/7/2010, Started tapping on 7/30/2010.
    2011 January Jumpstart Less to Lose Category Winner.
    2012 60 Day Challenge Trainer/TnT Category Winner.

Trainer in Training

Level

Quote Originally Posted by ayj67 View Post
    Angie and Peggy, I expect you two are gluten intolerant. Wheat, rye, barley are the major gluten grains.
    I'm still not sure, but it's possible. I'm going to continue this way of eating for a while and see. My tummy seems to be staying flatter (not so bloated) most of the time.

Peggy
    T1/T4

Level

You'll love that book, Angie!

Peggy, that is something I've noticed getting off gluten, and now getting off grains. No more bloated belly!

. .))

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

~Crystal Paine~

Level

I'm catching up after not reading this forum for a while.

After years of feeling like an oddball, I'm thrilled to meet so many converts who are also following a traditional foods diet. I seldom read or contributed to the Diet/Nutrition forum, because I thought my high-fat, low grain, fermenting, raw dairy, non-SAD way of eating would be repulsive to the low-fat, high-carb, vegan/vegetarian diets that seemed to be so pervasive.

I'm so happy to find so many kindred spirits!

Susan
    ...Pulling up my Big Girl Panties and getting on with it...