Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GAPS Diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome)

Level

Default GAPS Diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome)

I am taking a detour from Schwarzbein (although I will still gladly pop in and share there, too!) to go through the GAPS Diet.

With two dds with gut issues, one of whom who has been gluten-free for over a year, and about a month ago this online class came to my attention--the title is what caught my eye! "Reversing Food Allergies" There was a discount if I signed up by the end of March plus I had a $20 "coupon". I was about to take them to a naturopath (not that I still wouldn't!) and figured I might as well check this out. After doing a little research and talking it over with dh, we decided to give it a go.

I could have just gotten the book and figured it out--but I am liking the way Ann Marie is breaking it down, has short video tutorials, etc. I just got the GAPS book yesterday and am already about half-way through!

My dh suggested we all go on this, and after what I'm reading, I couldn't agree more. I love Schwarzbein for healing the metabolism, but to be honest, if the gut isn't healed, we're not going to get the optimal benefit of any other food plan or supplements.

Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride is an MD who had an autistic son. She used a lot of principles from the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) and tweaked it and people started calling it the GAPS diet for short.

From what I've read elsewhere and here, 70-85% of the immune system is in the gut!

I plan to share our journey with it here, as well as some things from her book. You can check out these websites for more information:

http://www.gapsdiet.com/

Here is the class I'm taking:

http://realfoodmedia.com/foodallergies/

A few blogs I've found so far that are helpful:

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2010/...tion-diet.html

http://www.healthhomehappy.com/2011/...d-sealing.html?

And Baden Lashkov has written a book called "GAPS Guide", and here is her blog:

http://gapsguide.com/2009/03/06/scd-recipes/

I found these two videos of a little boy who had autistic tendencies, and a year later, after the GAPS Diet, you couldn't tell! I posted them on the 6 Weeks thread, on this page, if you want to go there to see them:

http://forum.t-tapp.com/showthread.p...159#post813159

Many autistic parents have found great help for their autistic dc, and I am excited to share this with my df who adopted a little girl from China who has been officially "diagnosed" with autism.

We don't have any learning disorders, but definitely gut issues and lots of teeth issues!

I confess I'm a bit overwhelmed here at first, but feeling better and better about it. And I'm very grateful to Ann Marie for doing these classes--kind of like someone taking your hand and helping you through it!

If anyone already is on this or has been on this or just wants to share, feel free to do so!

Let the adventure begin!

~ .. )) -::-
    . .))
    ((. .. Trisch -::-
    -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~

Level

Thanks for starting this thread, Trisch! I've followed a modified GAPS (interspersed with Body Ecology Diet) for a long time. Despite the other health issues I have (adrenal, thyroid), digestion does not now appear to be one of them, and I'm certain it has to do with adhering to this type of WOE. I thought eliminating dairy was going to be torture, but I found I didn't miss it and interestingly, after going through the non-dairy phase and slowly integrating dairy, I've found I can tolerate very small amounts of raw cow milk, but not more than .5 a cup, and actually, I prefer to avoid it altogether. I use copious amounts of Ghee, but otherwise, dairy is more a condiment for me now, rather than The Main Event. Eliminating grains was much easier than I thought it would be.

Oh, I just remembered a turning point in my journey toward healing my digestive health: About 18 months ago, after I had been using HCl for several months, I began to have indigestion symptoms...Couldn't figure out what it was, until I remembered that having too little stomach acid and too much stomach acid promote identical symptoms. All of the sudden, I no longer needed the HCl; my stomach was now making enough of it's own acid. It was a wonderful milestone! Also, I've grown to love all the bone broth; I drink it with a huge clump of coconut oil before every meal. It's rare that I don't have a pot of stock simmering on my back burner.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your GAPS journey, and about Anne Marie's class. I would think another benefit of taking the class is having the community of others participating. GAPS (and BED, Schwarzbein, etc.) are difficult to adhere to without others to cheer you on.

Susan
    ...Pulling up my Big Girl Panties and getting on with it...

Level

Hi Trisch,
    I'm sure you are in for a treat with Ann Marie! I've known of her for a few years through the real food site. I'm convinced our present day breads with its high yeast/high gluten is a huge health disaster and contributes to leaky gut! I can't help but wonder if Ann Marie will show how to make sourdough bread in her classes...fun stuff!

Look forward to hearing more of your journey with this type of eating! Also, praying that you get to the bottom of your daughter's health issues.

Diane

Level

Thank you for sharing that, Diane! Just from watching her videos, I get the feeling we'd get along just fine! I'm very pleased with the class so far and highly recommend it!

And I couldn't agree with you more. About a year ago my 19 yodd and I went to a gluten free "night" with our produce co-op. The lady there shared how grains have 80% more gluten than they did 50 years ago! And it's in everything!

Susan, you are so right! Even though I'm spoiled with the ease of these forums (Thank you Teresa, webmaster and moderators!) I'm grateful for the forums there for the class, too. It's just harder to go back and find a thread, but not impossible! I've already asked a question and feel like I have a bit better grasp of a few things.

I also joined the yahoo group, and one of the first digests I got a lady shared how mono and Epstein Barr (which many think mono is caused by Epstein Barr) have been healed using the GAPS diet! So if my 13 yodd does have mono, this will be the best thing we can do for her!

Thank you for prayers for our dd. I feel so badly for her, only being 13. I feel badly for the 19 yodd, too, but she's a bit older, has seen the benefit of cutting out certain foods, etc. The 13 yodd does really well, doesn't whine about it or anything, but just has those sad "puppy eyes" when she has to cut out yet something else!

And at 13--well, you're growing! You need food and you're hungry! She's skinny as a rail as it is!

So I am praying, too, that this will help her physically and nourish her (and us!). Not sure how my little guys will do--4 yods will do whatever 6 yods does, but the 6 yods will be prone to complain! LOL! Usually if Daddy says to do such and such, he'll do it, so we may have to call on Daddy a bit at the beginning!

. .))

T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

~Crystal Paine~

Level

I'm another Gapster here! I started the GAPS diet at the end of January. Right now it's just me doing it, but I'd like to get my 3 boys on it, too. I'm wanting to ease them into it, cutting out their grains here and there until they get no more. We have been gluten-free for over a year now, so at least they aren't used to my yummy *sniff* gluten-filled whole wheat bread anymore. That was definitely an addiction! I applaud you all who start the whole family right off the bat!

I feel strongly that gut issues are prevalent in our society, causing a whole host of health problems for people. Like with T-Tapp, I'm going to persevere in this journey!

Blessings,
    Jamie

Level

Oh, thank you for joining us, Jamie! That's great you've been on GAPS! Now we'll have a "pro" to ask questions of!

I just changed our organic produce order to lots of cabbage, beets, broccoli, carrots and cauliflower!

I'm really hopeful this will help us all with varying issues, but especially my two dds who obviously have leaky gut. My dh said if he starts feeling a lot better on this (we all understand there might be a "healing transition"), he's going to preach it to his mom and brother!

Thank you again for joining us!

. .))

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

~Crystal Paine~

Level

Hi, Trisch! I'm so glad you started this thread. As I mentioned on the Schwarzbein thread, I'm considering doing GAPS for our family. We have several issues that I suspect might be healed or improved by going through the diet. I ordered the GAPS Guide yesterday, as I don't want the science behind it right now, just a guide to get me through it. It is written by Baden Lashkov. I'm not sure when I'll start it. Probably after vacation in May. In the meantime, I'm gathering GAPS friendly recipes and I'll read the book, then go from there. I hope your daughter gets to feeling better soon!

Toni

Level

Oohhh! Let me know what you think of the GAPS Guide. I tried to get it through the library, but it wasn't available. I had already gotten the GAPS book, and am glad I did, but wonder if the GAPS Guide would also be helpful. I am taking the online class, so it may duplicate a lot of the Guide, but I'm willing to get it if it will be a good resource.

I did get the Internal Bliss cookbook through the library--that looks like a good cookbook! I'll probably get it eventually. It's more for when you're on the Full GAPS diet, I believe (still sorting all this out!)

That will be nice, to have a "community" here at T-Tapp where we can support each other!

HUGS!

. .))

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

~Crystal Paine~

Level

I'm so glad you started this thread, Trisch! I confess, my family wants no part of this plan. They still want me to make them bread, etc... So, I am interested in doing this for me, first...and then incorporating as much as possible for my family. I understand that for them it wouldn't really be GAPS, but it would be a step in the right direction. My NP suggested SCD, and I've been doing quite a bit of that, but, again I confess, not 100%. I have been consuming copious amounts of bone broths (have a HUGE pot on the stove simmering as we speak) along with many other ideas from SCD to see if it would be something that I could really do.

Last night I had a terrible night stomach wise. I was really sick! And I didn't eat any gluten. Did have some dairy, but did take 2 lactaids before. Obviously something isn't right here. I think that I am ready to do this right. While I feel so much better than I did now that I am GF, I still have much room for improvement. I will be watching this thread very carefully.

Thanks for all the links!

Blessings,
    Wendy

Wife to my best friend. Homeschool mom to DD15 and DS13
    Current inches lost = 53.25
    Total pounds lost since starting T-Tapp = 20
    http://www.t-tapp.com/success/wendyp/index.html

Level

I am also taking Ann Marie's class and planning to put my whole family on GAPS in June. (I need the time between now and then to get myself organized enough! Plus to slowly wean my kids off of bread, grains and sugars.) I look forward to following this journey with you all!

Ronda Wagner

**I've said good-bye to over 35 inches and many health problems since I started Tapping in April 2009

**Music teacher & homeschooling mom to four great kids; wife of one absent-minded but incredibly lovable professor