Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get that Flat Stomach by REALLY Feeling Those Lower Abs!

Level

Lightbulb Get that Flat Stomach by REALLY Feeling Those Lower Abs!

Tips from the Master Class about FEELING Those Lower Abs

Since I got back from the PBS Taping and Master Clinic with Teresa, I have been integrating as many of the tips we learned in the clinic as possible and appropriate into the classes. The results have been impressive watching even my seasoned Veterans really sweat it out and feel their muscles more! From ALL those notes I have I am going to share what I think are two that have made the biggest difference for ME and hopefully will for you as well in your quest for a strong flat stomach!

The first I find actually ironic because I originally championed the entire idea. That is to keep your feet JUST hand distance apart. A couple years ago, Teresa adjusted the stance to be narrower on T-Tapp Twist, The Box and Lawn Mowers so we could REALLY feel our abs working and get maximum results. I realized that the distance of the width of a closed hand was ideal and started using it for those moves. Teresa loved the idea when I re-certified for LadyBug in 2009 and continued to work on it as she developed Senior Fit. The result is that she emphasized that closer stance for all the moves in our Master Clinic....WOW! What a difference I could feel in my lowest abs in the amount of activation I was able to accomplish and also in one of my biggest target areas, the hip and saddle bag area. I couldn't BELIEVE how many inches I lost in just 3 hours! So try it out for yourself, and see what happens!

The other big thing that she emphasized throughout the entire workout, not just on these ab targeting moves, was the Mitten Chop (Organs in Place) Series. Tilting slightly forward relaxing the abs, hunching the shoulders (I always joke that by then I feel like a huge blob in my middle) so the lower abs are as relaxed as possible standing. Use the Karate Chop outside edge of the hand along the inside of the Iliac crest and spine of the pelvic girdle, then squeeze the heels of the hands together first, then tuck the fingers under the urinary bladder and draw everything up toward your rib cage. Then pressing the belly button to the spine, pulling the shoulders back and tying them to the spine, pressing with the hands in the same iliac region to lift and set the ribs before putting thumbs back. For years I have told my personal story of doing Organs In Place every time I used the lady's room at my work to increase neuro-kinetic function to the lower abs and get faster results. Well Teresa has take it to a whole new level with Senior Fit by doing this more in depth sequence between almost every move. In my classes I will do this several times, and a variation of it each time I reset T-Tapp stance. This maximizes the use of the muscle in my torso and allows me to get more muscle activation leading to a flatter stomach. It mystifies me why all the students don't follow suit, but many just watch me each time. So my other powerful secret has been to repeat this as many times as I can sneak in during a workout, even with a DVD.

So give these a tray and watch the inches just melt off your waist AND feel the burn in the lower abs! I know i have much more connection to these very important muscles now than I did just a month ago and the residual fat shifting is PROOF it works!

Koach Kiona- Senior T-Tapp Trainer
    The Dancin' Senior T-Tapp Trainer,Certified in Everything T-Tapp - Total,Floor,More, Ladybug WOs, YYC and CRT System
    Clinics provided from Northern MD to Central VA
    www.healthybykiona.com Sign up for my newsletter here!
    Call me with questions 240-893-4388
    Follow me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/healthybykiona

Don't Deny Your Body's Age with Diet and Exercise...DEFY Your Body's Age T-Tapping the Healthy by Kiona Way!

Level

I'd sure like to see what this looks like. Spine of the pelvic girdle? Thumbs back? I guess I'm still picturing OIP on the floor...

bursante

Level

These tweaks really sound impressive, Kiona! Now when you say feet a hand's width apart, you mean as if you were to place your hand on the floor and position your feet on either side? As for the OIP tweak, I'm not quite sure I get that one, either but I'll wait anxiously to get more info on how to do it. Thanks so much for posting about these.

Melissa

Last edited by Muddy Paws; 03-15-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    ~ Melissa

Please help support English Springer Spaniel Rescue at www.springerrescue.org

My huband and I are Christian missionaries in Japan. We have been here 25 years., , .
    Level

Wow! I'll give these a try. Just wondering if, in the OIP sequence, the hand width apart means hand straight up and down with the inside of the feet touching the outside edges of the hand, or hand to the side with the fingers touching the instep of one foot and the wrist touching the instep of the other foot.

Jemi Rohrer

Level

I asked this question before...
    The hand is a mitten hand...thumb out a little. Thumb nearly touching the inside of one foot and the little finger nearly touching the inside of the other foot.

Jennifer
    Wife for 29 wonderful years
    Mom to 7 treasures--5 at home--ages 20, 18 (girls); 16 and 14 (boys); 13 (girl)
    Mamee to 3

T-Tapping since 2009

Level

I'd really like to see these too.

Level

Hand width apart for the foot position. (editing to add-- "Mitten hand" as Jennifer described!)

The mitten chop to the OIP is just fabulous--Berei credits that for helping her slim down her tummy!

I'm not sure I could explain it any better.....I do hope Teresa is able to get some downloads or the Senior Fit workout done soon! I know she's had so much on her plate and things getting pushed back due to her dad's illness and passing. And I can imagine it would be like a gourmet chef perfecting a recipe--it's so hard to say "it's done!" when you have more wonderful tweaks to make it even better!

Think of a karate chop along the pelvic bones, where you usually "dig in first" for OIP on the floor. You chop chop, then "dig in" with the heels first, pushing the fluff to center. Your thumbs are "off the body". Then dig in the fingers down under the bladder and press and lift it up. Bend deeper, curl core, lift ribs, set lats, pressing hands all the way, then thumbs touch and help "hold" and press. You will feel those abs in a whole new way!

Like I said--not sure I improved on Kiona's description at all! She always does a great job! I wish I lived closer to take a few of her classes! She does a phenomenal job of putting the notes from Retreats and Master Classes in a much more understandable form than me! I just type my notes! LOL!

HTH!

~ .. )) -::-
    . .))
    ((. .. Trisch -::-
    -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~

Level

Trisch---start a list! I want to "see" this visual when you come to visit!!!!

Has anyone watched the video of Trisch (and another GA T-Tapper) on a Good Morning show? She does that Mitten Chop to help really lift ribs. Is it like that, Trisch? Seeing that visual really helped me understand how that works...just reading it wasn't enough.

Jennifer
    Wife for 29 wonderful years
    Mom to 7 treasures--5 at home--ages 20, 18 (girls); 16 and 14 (boys); 13 (girl)
    Mamee to 3

T-Tapping since 2009

Level

Get under the bladder? I've never been able to do that!

bursante

Level

Wow!! Looking forward to incorporating these for that stubborn tummy I can't seem to get rid of.

Bev

I am 61 and stronger than I have ever been and more than ready for this next stage of life. I plan on keeping my muscle strength, bone strength and flexibility through t-tapp way into my 90's. Think of all the fun I am going to have the next 30 years!!