Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half Frog Question

Level

Default Half Frog Question

Yay! I graduated from doing 10 Half Frogs at a time to 20 the other day. I definitely feel it in the upper and lower abs. But I also notice really feeling it in my quads. Lots of heat going on there!

I'm definitely curling the core, and making sure I'm not using momentum to bring my legs up. Also pressing lats down and doing W arms & pressing donut hands to the floor. So I'm just checking to see -- is this quad engagement appropriate, or do I need to tweak something?

Also, if what I'm doing is Half Frogs, what's a Whole Frog?

Peace out,
    Sooz
    Carrollton, TX

Level

Do you really want to see a Whole Frog?! LOL!

Are you still feeling it in your abs as well? If you are pressing your thighs together as if there were a ThighMaster there, and pressing them apart the same, lifting using the abs vs. momentum, then you should be fine. I'll defer to a trainer to give the final word on it, but if you're being mindful of not using momentum as you said, and you're staying in the muscle as far as using the abs, pressing that lower back while executing the leg moves, I think it would be okay.

There are HFs on HTF that are more in a sitting position, then there are Full Frogs. There are also Full Frogs on Critter Crunch. It involves extending the legs but not dropping and still keeping your lower back pressed! TOUGH!

Good for the tummy, though, if you can keep it all activated!

HTH!

~ .. )) -::-
    . .))
    ((. .. Trisch -::-
    -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~

Level

Wait a minute!!!! We can do more than a round of 8 HF's?????? Why haven't I heard this before? Anything special I need to know, or can I simply add to my reps? (I use the form Teresa teaches on the DVD that comes with the book . .. )

~ Angi

Discovered I *loved* the TTapp stretching, then found I'd lost 32.73 inches after SEVEN weeks!!! (including a bootcamp). Downsized to a 10!! As of November, 2010, 44.75 inches!!!

Determined I'd go beyond my original goal of "two sizes in four weeks" . . . so I'm headed to my pre-pregnancy size, folks: a 6!!!!

Level

Well, if you're a glutton for punishment....I find 8 adequate as I start losing activation! But I'm always doing OIP, then 8 HFs then 8 Elevators. T'is 'nuff for me!

~ .. )) -::-
    . .))
    ((. .. Trisch -::-
    -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~

Level

Oh MY GOODNESS!!! more than 8? No thanks! LOL! I do not do 8 now.....I like OIP and just now thinking about starting HF regularly........What an inspiration you are.... those of you doing 8!!!! Keep up the GREAT work!

Blessings,
    Shawna
    Wife to Mr. Wonderful, HS Mom to 8 Jewels!
    T-Tapper since 8/2009

Level

The instructions on the article online say to do 10 half frogs, or go for 20 if you are more advanced.

-Dollie

Level

Sooz, I think you should be dubbed the queen of half frogs, wow, 20?!? Now those are some abs.

Howdy from your neighbor to the north in Frisco!

Level

Lightbulb Half Frogs

Here is how to increase muscle activation on HF without increasing reps. If you have just done OIP and are in the HF position - notice where your knees are...

• Are the knees drifted up toward your shoulders?
    • Are your ankles in alingment with your knees?
    • Is you lower back flat on the floor and tailbone off the floor?
    • Are your shoulders on the floor?
    Let's increase muscle activation.

1. Lower back is on the floor with the tailbone lifted (You can use a small towel folded under the tailbone to help you if you have weak abs)
    2. Press your shoulders firmly into the floor
    3. Keep your ribs lifted up and away from your hips and pull that belly button in tightly to your spine and lift it up into your rib cage
    4. Hands are on
      • On abs (for beginner)
      • Goal posts with elbow out from shoulder and wrist above elbow (for intermediate
      • "W" position with elbows pulled in tight toward your waist and donut hands pressing into the floor and below the shoulder (For adv)
    5. Lift the ankles up level with the knees and point your toes
    6. Extend your knees away from your shoulders (Path of least resistance makes you keep themin toward your shoulders) But only go as far as you can without losing the "pressing" of the lower back into the floor
    7. Everything is engaged (lats, tummy, butt, thighs, calves)
    Try this at 10 reps and let me know how it goes.

Michelle Barbuto RN - Specializing in Physical Rehab Nursing
    (`*.Master T-Tapp Trainer, Trainer Mentor,
    Mommy Fitness Trainer, Forum Moderator
    .*)

http://fitwith6.com
    EMAIL: michelle@t-tapp.com
    VIRTUAL TRAINING

My Results using T-Tapp -->> Click Here

Become a T-Tapp Trainer --> TnT Mentor

Find me on Facebook!
    Follow me on Twitter

Level

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I tried the HFs with Michelle's detailed instructions, and I can still do 20, though I stop at about 15or 16 to rest a minute before I continue. And with my tailbone lifted, bringing knees together is even more like a thigh-master because my belly gets squeezed!

However, am I ever tired! I was doing 20 in am & 20 in pm for the HF/OIP challenge on Facebook since last Friday. And now I'm feeling too tired to do MORE or Ladybugs! So I'm cutting back to 10 at a time with that full activation.

Kate, nice to meet you, neighbor!

Oh, and about Full Frogs -- never mind!!!

Sooz
    Dalas, TX

Level

Michelle, I did HF using your tips and have to say it makes a difference Actually is completely different I am able to feel that there are some muscles beneath everything else Thank you!

Gergana

If you really want to achieve something, there is always a way! Just go for it!

Certified in Total and HTF. I did it! Yes we can!