Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinoa

Level

Default Quinoa

I have heard so much about quinoa and how good it is for us. I finally made some last night and it was delicious. It was also very filling and satisfying - but I did make waaay too much! Next time I will know better. Here is what I did......

Chopped up one yellow pepper, one orange pepper, two small onions and sauteed in olive oil. Added about seven cloves of fresh minced garlic.

At the same time the veggies were cooking, brought 2 cups (way too much!) quinoa to boil in 4 cups chicken broth. Turned down and simmered for around 15 minutes.

Mixed veggies, Cavenders seasoning, and 1 can Italian diced tomatoes into quinoa - topped with feta cheese. Very good AND filling AND healthy!! Bon Appetit!!!

susanc

ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

Level

I always make more than I need and freeze the leftovers. So convenient when I need a quick side.

Peggy
    T1/T4

Started T-Tapp in July 2010 after searching for a good strengthening/stretching/flexibility workout. I think I found it!

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."

Level

Sounds great! Mmmmmm. . . I can almost smell it!

- Shari

Level

Yes, freeze it. And eat with fruit and stuff on it for breakfast. It has high protein. Will hold you much longer than oatmeal which I have to add hemp to.
    Nancy

Started T-Tapp 7/07
    Size 12-14 when I started, now size 10-12!
    "I can do all through Christ who strengthens me." Phil. 4:13

Level

Where do you get hemp and what is it ? I tried Quinoa the first time and did not like it , I cooked it in water and added nothing to it ( treated it just like rice ).. But I tried it again and just sprinkled land o lake powder butter on and I love it ! The first time I made it I cooked to much also but didn't think I could freeze it ( thats so great to know , since its expensive ! ).. I will try the new recipe since it sounds wonderful, I bought a quinoa pasta and then read the label (LOL ) It has corn mostly !

wanda chafin

Level

Yep, it's great stuff.
    I also cook it similar to oatmeal. Cook in coconut milk (So Delicious is the brand I use), a pinch of salt, frozen mixed berries and simmer till milk is absorbed, Drizzle with a little maple syrup. Love it!

My son likes it as a side salad. Cook your grain measurement. Make dressing with minced red onion or shallots, minced garlic, olive oil, lime juice, fresh cilantro, chopped grape tomatoes, black beans(rinsed and drained, if canned). toss together with a little feta cheese.

Level

I too, love quinoa. We discovered it about 2 months ago. I love that it is gluten free. It really has no flavor of its own but picks up the flavors of whatever you cook it in - sweet or savory. All the recipes that you have shared sound delicious! Tomorrow I am making stuffed peppers with quinoa. Can't wait to try it.

Blessings,
    Wendy

Wife to my best friend. Homeschool mom to DD15 and DS13
    Current inches lost = 53.25
    Total pounds lost since starting T-Tapp = 20
    http://www.t-tapp.com/success/wendyp/index.html

Level

I love quinoa too !!
    it is great as a oatmeal substitute, with coconut butter, cinnamon and some agarve syrup
    I also have used it sucessflly to make Taboulé( chopped onions, tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and fresh mint )
    and sprouted it to put in salads
    Also nice added to vegetable stews to make them more filling !!!

You can use Millet and Amaranth in the same ways, both also delicious and with lots of nutrional value

xxxx

Tapping for and in Spain
    since 2010 , only lost inches and weight...above that GAINED sooo much more :-)
    Auntie to 2 lovely girls and a teenage boy ( oh boy) and owned by a very special Maine Coon tom cat..

Level

Hemp is great..
    you get hemp Oil, Protein and the seeds( shelled and un-shelled)..best to do a search on it , because there is a lot of information, and I am not sure if I can post it here ??
    I just made a search and you can buy it in the states..www.healing-source.com has got some good info..
    I love the oil in salad, the seeds in salads or sprinkled over my curries and soups to get some protein ( I am vegetarian)
    I also often use the seeds to make myself a quick milk , to drink it staright or add some chia seeds, cinnamon and honey to leave overnight for a nice GM breakfast..
    Apart from that clothes made from organic hemp fabric are a lot mor friendlier to mother earth than for example cotton...

Tapping for and in Spain
    since 2010 , only lost inches and weight...above that GAINED sooo much more :-)
    Auntie to 2 lovely girls and a teenage boy ( oh boy) and owned by a very special Maine Coon tom cat..

Level

Really, I thought cotton was it..I love the sound of the recipes and so happy to know that I can have a whole protein for breakfast w/o adding something else. I have some inca red quinoa but so far have not tried it, you guys say its filling but when I had it I didn't find that to be true..How much of a serving size are we talking , Or do you just follow the serv size on the package ? Ingredients on elbow quinoa package : organic corn flour, organic quinoa flour >>in that order....Beens btw your are so cute , from spain . But how do you sprout to make the salads ( should I do a search on that ?)
    Nancy, when you freeze it how do you do that, what kind of containers and do you portion it ? Thanks, just picking your guys brains ha..which is a good thing to do for sure !

Last edited by wandachafin; 03-02-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    wanda chafin