Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belly Fat

Default Belly Fat

Seems that's the buzz word in all the magazines: belly fat! Does TTapp have any SPECIFIC belly-fat-eliminator moves? I have been doing BWO+ a few times a week but am wondering... Belly is still ... here. Any suggestions?

Level

Lift ribs. Use your abs when you tuck. Lift ribs. Trims inches off the middle.

*Kim*
    Wife to my best friend
    Mom to 6 littles so far - 11, 10, 7, 4, 2, and 2mo
    Homeschooling, gardening, real food eating, scrapbooking, and now t-tapping mom

A die-hard weight lifter who due to a 20 yr old back injury rearing it's ugly head and leaving it hard to walk, started t-tapp Oct. 2010

I've got lots to lose and lots to live for.

Level

Focus on curling your core to initiate your tuck, then keep your ribs lifted high away from your hip bones (But don't hunch your shoulders up toward your ears) OIP/HF daily is good to do too and can be found on Try Before you Buy or on the DVD in the back of the book Fit and Fabulous.

Also depending on your heritdity you might eliminate dairy, carbonated beverages, processed food etc... Adding Pyruval Glycine that Teresa has helps eliminate Belly fat too. Oh, and dry skin brushing will help.

Michelle Barbuto RN - Specializing in Physical Rehab Nursing
    (`*.Master T-Tapp Trainer, Trainer Mentor,
    Mommy Fitness Trainer, Forum Moderator
    .*)

http://fitwith6.com
    EMAIL: michelle@t-tapp.com
    VIRTUAL TRAINING

My Results using T-Tapp -->> Click Here

Become a T-Tapp Trainer --> TnT Mentor

Find me on Facebook!
    Follow me on Twitter

Level

My belly fat took awhile to come off. If you've damaged your metabolism through dieting, poor eating, too many carbs or overexercising, it can take longer. You have to go through a healing time before the fat comes off. Dr. Diana Schwarzbein's motto is "You don't lose weight to get healthy, you get healthy to lose weight!"

That said, for many of us, it seems to be the last place to really come off! You've gotten great advice as to form and food considerations. You said you do BWO+ "a few times a week"? Depending what you mean by that, you may need a little more to rev up your metabolism. I personally have done mostly shorter workouts, but usually 4-6 times per week.

Focusing on curling the core, both during workouts and throughout your day (and lifting ribs!) helps tremendously!

Here are Michelle's FABULOUS tips on curling the core! I included her tips on shoulder/hip alignment, which is helpful for loss in the thighs and the tummy, too!

Teresa calls flattening the lower back "curling the core" due to the fact that many of us have a curve in that area and that’s the center or core of the body. This is a term that Teresa uses to help get Tappers to "tuck their body under" when the lower back (lower lumbar area) has a greater curve. There needs to be a "straighter line" - in other words, not a "sway back". When you tuck your butt, it is more than initiating the move from your butt or tailbone. Applying these tips can really take your workout to the next level.

Curl the Core - On the Floor
    If you are a beginner you might want to practice this first on the floor to get the feeling of it. Lie on your back on the floor with your knees to the ceiling, toes forward and heels near your butt, now press your shoulders into the ground, make donut fingers (making a "donut" with your thumb and fingers, then press the thumb into the index finger), then press hands into the floor to help activate the muscles equally. Make a "W" with your arms keeping the hands even with the shoulder, now tuck your butt so that the lower lumbar area touches the floor (with NO air space).

Curl the Core - Standing
    When you understand and "feel" this movement then get into the Plie stance and stand in front of a wall. Now press your back and shoulders against the wall. Make sure you press your lower back into the wall so there is no air space. You want to be able to do some Plies in that position, while keeping your shoulder and back (including lower back) pressed against the wall. You can also keep "donut hands" against the wall as well. This helps to engage your lats. Pull your elbows towards the side of your body and keep your hands down to shoulder level. This is the feeling you're working towards when you're tucking your butt.

Curl the Core - Sitting
    You could also do this during the day when you're sitting. Make sure to get your shoulders and hips in alignment, then I press your lower back into the chair and tuck butt at the same time. You should feel your stomach muscles engage. This can help shave off inches for your torso and abdominal area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you see a gain in the thighs it is a result of a few things with form:

1) not keeping shoulders in alignment with hips throughout the entire workout, but especially on Plies and Lunges

2) relaxing the thigh muscles at the top and/or bottom of each Plie and Lunge

3) not tucking butt enough throughout the entire workout and/or letting the butt go out on Plies

Shoulder to Hip Alignment: This is the most important linear alignment issue for T-Tapp. You have to get this down in order to get results with the program. It's really very simple, stand up straight and roll your shoulders back. That's it! Sometimes easier said than done. You need to concentrate on doing this throughout the entire workout. For example, if you are doing the Plies and you lean slightly forward, the butt goes out, which causes you to inactivate the muscle attachments in the stomach, torso, and thighs. You start to create momentum and isotonic movement and you will create bulk. This is a big tendency for Short Torso and Combination body types, so if you're in this category you need to pay extra attention to shoulder linear alignment during the Plies (and each and every exercise) to spot check yourself. You can read more on this subject in Teresa's article Importance of Shoulder Rotation/Linear Alignment found in the Newsletter Archives (
    http://forum.t-tapp.com/showthread.php?t=912).

Plies: Form check to make sure you have your heels right underneath your armpits and feet are at a 45 degree angle; it is not necessary to have a greater angle like a ballet dancer. When you begin to squat you need to tuck your butt - a full pelvic tilt until you feel your hip ball attachments activate. Now, try to go down into the Plie Squat while twisting your knees out further and further until you reach the squatting position. You are still balancing on the outside edge of your foot with NO WEIGHT ON THE BIG TOES! Your goal is to get your knees 2 inches past the little toe - you may not be able to get there yet, but it's a matter of flexibility that will come with time. HOLD YOUR SQUAT! Now tighten the Latissimus dorsi muscles (the lats - sides of your body where your bra strap normally is) to keep your upper body isolated and increase overall fat burning. Once you are ready to do Plies, concentrate on going into a squat like described above and then when you are coming back up against gravity you are going to TUCK YOUR BUTT HARDER and try to TWIST, TWIST, TWIST your knees out (if it helps try to twist from the hip ball joints) as you straighten your legs (should fully straighten at the top)...KEEP THE THIGH MUSCLES TIGHT THE ENTIRE TIME AND DO NOT REST THE MUSCLES AT THE TOP OF THE PLIE and then go back into your squat. This move will completely eliminate the inner thigh, outer thigh, hip and butt. The reason why you see the gain in the thighs is because you are probably not tucking the butt enough, the shoulders aren't in alignment, and you're relaxing the muscles at the top of the Plie. You just need to make sure that your muscles stay tight the whole time and you'll be able to reverse the bulk.

Lunges - General: The same form tips on Plies apply to the Lunges. Make sure that you keep the thigh muscles tight the whole time. Common error is to release the muscles as you come all the way up on the lunge. This defeats the purpose and you can actually build bulk. In the lunges make sure you remember to push/roll out your knees and tighten butt when going down with gravity, but it is even MORE important to push/roll out knees and tuck more as you come up. The lunges are like one continuous movement; you don’t want to pause at the top or the bottom. Once again you want to keep the shoulder to hip alignment. Don’t lean into the lunge because it will put pressure on the knees. If you have a problem with leaning into it you can actually lean slightly away from the lunge.

Front & Drop Lunges: Your back foot needs to be straight, no turnout. Your legs should be hip width apart; you’re not on a balance beam! Each time that you come up you need to lift your back heal so you are on the tippy toes. Apply the general lunge form for each of these lunges as well.

~ .. )) -::-
    . .))
    ((. .. Trisch -::-
    -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
    Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
    (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
    you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
    ~Crystal Paine~

Level

Thank you, Kim, Michelle and Trish for your support and direction.
    'Ribs Up' to you all.
    (Kinda like a toast, eh)
    Alice

Level

LOL! A "T-Tapp Toast"! Love that!

. .))

Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

~Crystal Paine~

Level

Try doing Organs in Place and Half Frogs twice a day for 5 days...and see what happens My stubborn belly area usually tightens right up if I stick wtih it

I know, i know...less is more....

Level

Thanks! I was just going to ask the same thing! There is so much to remember! I thought I was tucking but and keeping shoulders back but I'll try to focus on that more during the plies. I do think I was relaxing at the top.

Level

Belly fat be gone! I'm tired of looking preggers when I'm not. Happy to have baby belly when I am but my youngest baby is 2 years old!

Level

Oh, I SO hear you! It takes time...keep lifting ribs and curling that core all you can!

And doing OIP/HFs!

. .))

From a 22W to a 6!
    My Testimonial Tuesday

~Crystal Paine~