Thread: Chia Seeds vs. Hemp Hearts

Level

Smile Chia Seeds vs. Hemp Hearts

Can someone tell me the difference between the two and which one gives you the most "bang" for your buck? LOL

Thanks!
    Debi

Level

I currently use chia and flax simply because that is what I have and have found the best prices on. I would never be without my flax and I learned about chia first so hemp is something I haven't bought yet. Here is some info about each so you can decide which you like better. I think eventually I will be using all three.

Chia Seed Profile
    Also known as

Salvia hispanica, California Chia, California Sage, Chia Pet Seed, and Chia Sage.
    Introduction

When we think of Chia seeds, invariably an image comes to mind of the Chia Pet – a clay figurine with Chia sprouts for hair. However, most of us do not realize that Chia seed is highly nutritious, medicinal, and it has been used for centuries for its beneficial properties. Chia was a staple for Incan, Mayan, and Aztec cultures. “Chia” is even the Mayan word for “strength”, and Chia seeds used to be referred to as "Indian Running Food" because they are so energizing. Apache and Aztec warriors sustained themselves by bringing the seeds along while on conquests, Aztecs used Chia as a legal tender, Indians of the southwest depended upon them during long trading expeditions, and they were also used by the Indians and missionaries as a poultice for gunshot wounds and other injuries. Today, Chia seed is being rediscovered and embraced as a “superfood”, and it is quickly becoming popular among nutritionists and herbalists alike.
    Constituents

Essential fatty acids alpha-linolenic and linoleic acid, mucin, strontium, 30% protein, Vitamins A, B, E, and D, and minerals including calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur, iron, iodine, copper, zinc, sodium, magnesium, manganese, niacin, thiamine, silicon, and anti-oxidants.
    Parts Used

The seeds raw, cooked, or sprouted.
    Typical Preparations

1-4 Tablespoons of the raw seeds may be used per day, mixing them into water, juice, or a smoothie.
    Chia seeds can be ground into a powder and added to smoothies, used in baking or cooking, or substituted for Flax seeds in recipes. They have a pleasant nutty flavor.
    The sprouted seeds can be added to salads and sandwiches.
    One of the most common ways to consume Chia seeds is to make a Chia gel. To make Chia gel, place 1/3 cup Chia seeds into a sealable container, add 2 cups of water, and whisk briskly. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes, and then whisk again before placing into the refrigerator. The mixture will turn into a gel, and will last up to 3 weeks if refrigerated. The recommended dosage is 3 Tablespoons 3 times per day, and the gel may be incorporated into jam, cereal, yogurt, smoothies, or any other foods for consumption. One pound of Chia seeds will make approximately 24 cups of gel, which will last over a month if consumed at the recommended amount of 3 tablespoons of gel 3 times per day.
    Summary

Touted as being the new 'superfood', Chia seeds are high in easily digestible protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins, soluble fiber, antioxidants, minerals, and are a digestive, disinfectant, febrifuge and ophthalmic. They are currently being used for their nutritional and medicinal properties, endurance for athletes, for suppressing the appetite, weight loss, leveling blood sugar, and for aiding intestinal regularity. Chia seeds readily dissolve into the water, creating a substance that looks like gelatin. This gel-forming action is due to the soluble fiber in the Chia seed. Researchers believe that this same gel-forming phenomenon takes place in the stomach when Chia seed is consumed, thus creating a physical barrier between carbohydrates and digestive enzymes and slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar. Slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar helps with endurance and metabolic rates, which is beneficial for athletes and others. For weight loss, Chia seeds are an appetite suppressant, and Chia gel may be used to replace food within recipes. Bulking up a meal with Chia gel helps lessen the amount of food consumed, since Chia gel is primarily made up of water. Chia gel may also be used in place of fats within recipes, even within baked goods. Chia seed has hydrophilic properties, and can absorb more than 12 times its weigh in water. Because of this, Chia seeds can prolong hydration, helping retain moisture and regulate more efficiently the body's absorption of nutrients and body fluids, including electrolyte balance.
    Precautions

There is currently no evidence of adverse effects of whole or ground Chia seeds. As with any dietary supplement consult your healthcare practitioner before using this product, especially if you are pregnant, nursing or under medical supervision.

Hemp Seed Profile
    Also known as

Cannabis sativa, Bangue, Bhang, Canamo, Canamo Indio, Cannabis, Chanvre, Ganeb, Ganja, Han Ma, Hanf, Hemp fruit, Hemp Protein, Hennep, Hint Keneviri, Hops, Huang Ma, Huo Ma, Indian Hemp, Kenevir, Kif, Ma Fen, Ma Jen Chiu, Mariguana, Marijuana, Qunnab, Ta Ma, Tchene, Tekrouri.
    Introduction

Hemp has a bad reputation as being an illegal narcotic, which deters many people from the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa. However, the plant's Latin name means "useful hemp", and the seeds are one of the most nutritious substances on earth. Hemp seed contains all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids that our bodies need, which makes it a perfect protein supplement. No other single source provides such a complete protein in a form that is so easily digested and absorbed by the body.
    Typical Constituents (Per 100 g)

Calories- 578-630 cal
    Protein- 31-33%
    Carbohydrates- 7-10%
    Fat- 46-50%
    Ash- 5-8%
    Moisture- 5-7%
    Cholesterol- 0%
    Beta Carotene- 11.4 IU/100g
    pH value- 6.85
    THC Content- none detected - limit of detection 4 ppm
    Free Fatty Acids- 0.5-2.0% (as Oleic acid)
    Peroxide Value- 0.4-2.0 meq/kg
    Gluten- negative (<3ppm) - limit of detection 3ppm
    Typical Fatty Acid Profile (Per 100 g)

Myristic Acid 0.06
    Palmitic Acid 3.01
    Steric Acid 1.05
    Oleic Acid (Omega 9) 5.25
    Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) 27.67
    CLA 0.41
    Arachidic Acid 0.35
    Gamma Linolenic Acid 1.92
    Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) 8.56
    Stearidonic Acid 0.41
    Behenic Acid 0.12
    Amino Acid Profile per 100g

Serine 1.54
    Glutamic 5.61
    Proline 1.13
    Glycine 1.35
    Alanine 1.10
    Cysteine 0.57
    Valine 1.47
    Methionine 0.75
    Isoleucine 1.15
    Leucine 2.04
    Tyrosine 0.94
    Phenylalanine 1.39
    Histidine 0.82
    Lysine 1.13
    Arginine 3.58
    Tryptophan 0.25

The Hemp seed offered by Mountain Rose Herbs does not contain any traceable levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive substance found in marijuana.
    Parts Used

Seed and Leaf.
    Typical Preparations

The seeds have a nutty flavor similar to sunflower seeds, and may be eaten raw or added to salads, baked goods, granola, sauces, dips, and can be processed into milk, cheese, ice cream, margarine, or ground into flour. Hemp seed is comfortably consumed by taking 1 tablespoon (15 grams) of shelled Hemp seed twice a day.
    Summary

Hemp seeds contain all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary to maintain healthy human life. No other single plant source has the essential amino acids in such an easily digestible form, nor has the essential fatty acids in as perfect a ratio to meet human nutritional needs. Medicinally, Hemp seed is anodyne, anthelmintic, demulcent, diuretic, emollient, emmenagogue, febrifuge, laxative, and tonic. It is used to treat constipation, nervous diseases, and is shown to be effective at lowering the risk of heart attack, heart disease, cholesterol, and it also has anti-inflammatory effects making it beneficial for arthritis and autoimmune disorders. Nutritionally, Hemp Seed contains by weight: 30.6% Protein, 5.8% Omega-9, 27.56% Linoleic 18:2 (Omega-6), 8.68% Linolenic 18:3 (Omega-3), 6.0% dietary fiber. In milligrams per 100g weight, Hemp Seed contains: Calcium: 139 mg, Phosphorus: 1123 mg, Iron: 13.9 mg, Vitamin A: 518 mg, Thiamine (Vitamin B1): 0.37 mg, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2): 0.2 mg, and Niacin: 2.43 mg. Plus, it also contains Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, and Sodium. Sixty-five percent of the protein content in hempseed is in the form of globulin edestin, so that it can actually be used by the body in its raw state (unlike that in soybeans, which have to be cooked or sprouted). Hemp's ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 fatty acids is about 4:1 which mirrors the primitive diet the human race evolved on for 2.5 million years.
    Precautions

May cause loosening of the stool. Should not be used if taking anticoagulant drugs as bleeding can occur due to the presence of omega oils which are a natural blood thinner.

Last edited by Jen82; 10-16-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    Wife to Jason 9 years, mommy to Larissa 4. , Gavin 2 and a half, and Neveah Ann 2 year old angel in heaven. April 24, 05 - July 13, 07

Level

WOW! Thanks for putting all that info here! I've tried the hemp hearts - they're good. Haven't tried the chia seeds. Guess I'll have to find some!

- Shari

Level

No problem at all, hope it helps.

The nice thing about chia is if you are putting them in food like a smoothie, you don't have to grind them first like you do flax.

Wife to Jason 9 years, mommy to Larissa 4. , Gavin 2 and a half, and Neveah Ann 2 year old angel in heaven. April 24, 05 - July 13, 07

Level

I've been adding hemp hearts and chia seeds both to my smoothies and salads. You hardly even know the chia seeds are there because they're so tiny. The hemp hearts in my smoothies makes the smoothie more "chewable" so it seems like I'm eating something more substantial. Nutritionally I'm not sure which one gives you more "bang for your buck", I just know they're both supposed to be very healthy.

Peggy
    T1/T4

Started T-Tapp in July 2010 after searching for a good strengthening/stretching/flexibility workout. I think I found it!

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."

I have no idea about the chia seed but I have definitely tested hemp oil for myself and it did wonders for me. Since six months I am using this product and I have started getting better sleep and my stamina is improved. I got a majority of health benefits and it is the best product I have ever used.