Thread: dim & pcos

Level

Default dim & pcos

I was wondering if anyone knows if dim helps with pcos. if so, whats the recommended dosage? what brand do you ladies like?

Level

bump bump bump

Level

DIM helps metabolize estrogen properly, so if that's an issue with PCOS, there's a good chance it will help. (Off the top of my head, I can't remember, but it sounds right.)

I like Nature's Way. I think it's called DIM Plus, or something like that. Try the regular recommended dose and see what happens. You can move up to the stronger dose if that doesn't work.

-Moyne
    Holistic Health Life Coach

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

Level

My accupuncture therapist did recommend DIM to release excess estrogen (PCOS) but I haven't tried it yet either. I'm interested in hearing other's results though!

Level

There was an old thread, some time ago, with people reporting great benefits from it, but I don't remember if any of them were for PCOS. Most of it was sore breasts, I think. Try searching, but "DIM" is probably too short a search term and I don't think it was spelled correctly when it was all spelled out. Maybe try "sore breasts" or "painful breasts".

-Moyne

Level

what is dim?

Visit me at www.rubylanewives.com

Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: now.
    Denis Waitley

Level

I had one Dr. tell me that if my breast thermogram came back abnormal, which I guess with the first baseline one quite often, that I would be put on Dim plus. In the meantime, my chiro/naturopath said no, it's not a *whole food* just eat more broccoli, LOL. Thank goodness the baseline test came back perfectly normal and i didn't have to research the contradictory advices........ Good Luck! let us know if you decide to try it.

Lori

Do not be confused, I am NOT a trainer just someone who has been around for over 12 years and talks too much!

Hopefully one of the many Certified T-Tapp Trainers will be along shortly, with the most accurate information.

My Success Story

http://sewfrench.com/

Level

I am trying it right now, I don't notice too much of a difference, again probably because I started several things all at once. so . . . i'm going to an endo in jan so the only thing i'll be getting for my pcos is a multi and special oils - like cod liver oil, I have coconut oil and black seed oil. Until then, I'll finish my bottle of dim and then thats it.

but another thing - it could be the brand too. so far, i've had some pretty good experiences with a brand of supplements, not dim, just general supplements, called "NSI" Neutraceuticals Science Institution. I really like it a lot. thats it for now.

but thanks. I was told to eat more broccoli too and I got really upset. Butter is loaded with vitamin a & D but I'm not gonna ingest 1 c of butter a day because its a "whole food".

anyways.

Level

I had a problem with sore breasts for about four months, (menopause) and realized I had stopped taking my Vitex. My naturapath had recommended it and since I felt so good I thought it wasn't doing anything. Boy, was I wrong. Within one week of starting it again, my breast were back to normal. I am sold on vitex, I take three capsules 400mg each. I know it helps to balance hormones. I have never tried dim, but if it works go for it.

Good luck.

If its\' to be...its\' up to ME!!!

Level

DIM stands for diindolmethane. Indol-3-carbinol (I3C) is the precursor to DIM and was often recommended for estrogen metabolism. However, because it is unstable, DIM has been found to be a better way to give it. It all comes from cruciferous veggies like broccoli, but you'd never be able to eat enough to yield the therapeutic amounts. DIM Plus from Nature's Way is a combination of DIM and I3C in a whole foods complex, to deliver the most of the active ingredient in the way your body can use it the best.

Vitex works for a lot of people, and not so much for others. It's probably the same for DIM. Brands matter also. If one doesn't work for you, another one might.

My friend had been taking DIM regularly and then didn't think much of it when she ran out. A week or two later, she called me frantically to check pregnancy signals because she was afraid she was pregnant, based on her symptoms. We figured out it could be the DIM and after starting back on it, the symptoms quickly disappeared. We figure she is probably an "estrogen type" and is so sensitive to estrogen and the beneficial effects of DIM that it really made that much difference.

-Moyne