Thread: South Beach Diet/Phase I/fatigue

Level

Default South Beach Diet/Phase I/fatigue

Has anyone else tried this diet and just simply could not finish due to fatigue? I don't know if it's the heat right now in Missouri or my blood type (A+) or what, but I just can't seem to handle a complete absence of grains in my diet. I'm not even craving junk; I just want something like old fashioned oats, or a whole grain sandwich. I feel hollow, am unable to concentrate, and generally bad. I've only done this for 6 days and am going on to Phase 2.

Has anyone else had this experience? Amy I just being a wimp? It's really not a sense of having difficulty from craving sweets, it just doesn't feel like my body is happy with this. I thought I'd feel better as the detox continued, cause I haven't eaten clean since Christmastime. Detoxing was definitely necessary. Should I keep this up and just bear with it for 8 more days, or should I move on to Phase 2? What do you think? I really only felt decently normal for about the first 2 days. By the third day I was feeling completely lethargic. I can't imagine trying to exercise like this.

angie miller

Level

Before going on this diet were you eating a lot of grains and carbs? It might just be withdrawal issues. I seem to remember reading something about that with respect to starting a low-carb diet, but I don't remember any details. Sorry about that.

Level

Yeah, I was pretty carb heavy before I began this--thus the sense of needing to do something different. But the writer of the diet acts as if this is supposed to be energizing, to eat this way, and I am so completely not feeling energized. If I didn't know better, I'd suspect I was pregnant or something. I was under the impression that A blood types did well on grains and Os did not, so I'm wondering if one blood type does better with the complete omission of grains from the diet. I don't want to feel like I failed in my mission, because I do feel that way by ending phase 1 eight days early, but I'm miserable right now and so is my family. This is also coinciding with PMS and I'm just very unhappy and tired. And exercise is not an option, feeing so lethargic. I don't have that much to lose--only about 8 pounds to be in a healthy zone, but I was shooting for more like 25. May I only really needed to begin with Phase 2. I don't know.

angie miller

Level

Mangie, you are probably right about your blood type. I am an O and I did feel energized when I did the SBDiet about 5 years ago. I am mostly gluten/grain free now and thrive on it. I get bloated when I eat grains and can really gain weight easily. My weight doesnt fluctuate like it used to.

You might want to try something like eating brown rice or a baked potato instead of going completely back on grains. Look at Phase 2 and just add a couple of things a day and see if that helps. Maybe start the day with a "big" carb, as I call them.

Nancy

Started T-Tapp 7/07
    Size 12-14 when I started, now size 10-12!
    "I can do all through Christ who strengthens me." Phil. 4:13

Level

Mangie, you are probably right about your blood type. I am an O and I did feel energized when I did the SBDiet about 5 years ago. I am mostly gluten/grain free now and thrive on it. I get bloated when I eat grains and can really gain weight easily. My weight doesnt fluctuate like it used to.
    This has been my experience too...down to the blood type! My dh and I are both o's and it was our experience with the SBD phase 1 that got us realizing and accepting our problem with grains. We are both now gluten free. When I crave wheat bread its for taste and old habits...not because my body feels like it needs it.

I think your right to end phase 1 early. Don't feel guilty for listening to your body. It doesn't sound like you feel good or are thriving on this. Go with your cravings...they sound like they are healthy ones and that you are needing it. Good luck!

~* Rose *~

Level

If you harbor any yeast (candidia) as many women do and you quit feeding it sugar and starchy carbs it will begin to die off giving you yucky flu-like symtoms. This is detox!! Do not refeed it or you will need to begin again. You may also find it helpful to take a product like Candex from a HF store. Just guts it through and winthin a few days to a week you will be over the hump. Then do your self a favor and do not reintroduce them Stick to the other fruits and vegetables for your healthy carbs. Try intoducing whole grains carefully to check for gluten intolerance.

Cheryl

Age 62, Started Nov, 2007 at size 22, currently size 12 and tapping it away
    2009 60 Day Challenge Category Winner-BWO+:

The way you spend each day adds up to the way you spend your life!