Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KCl vs NaCl

Level

Default KCl vs NaCl

Hi everyone,
    the common salt (NaCl) is supposedly not good from health point of view. but at the same time potasium chloride (KCl) which also has a salty taste is extremely healthy.

I just came to know this recently. I am wondering if anyone has an idea about this and should I replace all of my common salt intake with KCl?

Thanks
    Mansi

Level

Personally, I use either Celtic sea salt or Redmond's RealSalt, both of which are natural, unprocessed salts, with over 50 additional, naturally ocurring minerals in the RealSalt and over 80 in the Celtic. They haven't been incinerated like table salt, either.

The potassium tastes totally nasty, to me, with a yucky aftertaste. Plus, it's still just one, lone, mineral. I would highly recommend you try out one of the natural "whole" salts. They taste really good and they're good for your body.

-Moyne
    www.chinow.com/moyne

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

Level

I buy my sea salt from our local co-op and it's flecked with red because of all the crustacean residue in it. It tastes very good.

I always sing ala 101 Dalmatians "We're having a crustacean sensation...." and it makes the little one laugh.

Pamela

Level

Okay, so I was just running some errands, listening to NPR to Dr. Zorba Pastor, who does the health talk show. Someone was asking him about using potassium vs. sodium and he said that's not a good idea because your body needs lots more sodium than it does potassium and so it's easier to get hyperkalemia than hypernatremia. How funny is that?![:0]

-Moyne
    www.chinow.com/moyne

Level

Moyne, nothing in this world is a coincidence, IMO! When the student is ready, the teacher will appear

[u]Lori</u>

Level

Yes, but I wasn't exactly the student, now, was I?![)]

I guess the "messenger" was ready!

-Moyne
    www.chinow.com/moyne

Level

Mansi, the reason some say salt is unhealthy is because regular white table salt generally is! White table salt is processed to remove the trace minerals so it's pure white.

Sea salts that are grey or other colors and seem moist are actually good for us as they contain the trace minerals that are so hard to get. You see how there is whole wheat and white refined wheat flour, white sugar and raw sugar, there is also refined salt and natural sea salt. There are some salts that come from caves, like the Redmond's, which originate from ancient sea beds. The other ones come from ocean water. A good moist grey sea salt will have the KCl in it, too.

Blessings on your day!

Helena

To save $5 on your first purchase, visit www.squidoo.com/iherbdotcom
    Click here to see all my Squidoo lenses!
    www.this-is-the-life.net

Level

KCL tastes SUPER NASTY to me too! I thought I'd try some cardia salt..[xx(] I use sea salt; RealSalt and some other chunky thing I get from the Whole Foods bulk section.

Wendy

You can learn something from everyone you meet. Just listen...

Level

I use the Celtic Sea Salt and LOVE it. I find using it I don't have my cravings I get when I use regular. I have also used the Pink Himalayan Salt and like it. I buy the fine grind and have a shaker I purchased at Penzy's that has larger holes in it so it works fine. I also keep it in a crock jar on my counter by my stove and use out of it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Here I go again, this time it will be a success!!!

Level

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for the information..

I also read somewhere that the processed salt is iodized. It seems our diet lack in iodine and so common salt in iodine so that our body gets it..

It I consume raw unrefined salt, how do I ensure that I get sufficient iodine?

Mansi