Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you get rid of white spots on teeth?

Level

Default Can you get rid of white spots on teeth?

Hello Ladies,

I've gotten so much wonderful advice on here I thought I would ask a question for my 8 year old son. He has large white spots on his teeth (they've been there since he's gotten his adult teeth). The dentist said they are caused by me having a fever when I was pregnant with him. I'm not so sure. Is there anything natural and non invasive that would fix this problem? I do oil pulling and brush with a bit of magnesium oil and have had incredible whitening from it but I don't know if that would help with the spots (or if I could get him to do that). Any ideas?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I am truly grateful.

Have a fabulous day!
    Satara

Have a fabulous day!
    Satara

Level

Satara,

I've got no advice to offer, but just wanted to let you and your son know he is not alone.

My son has those on his adult teeth too. He's now 13. The spots on his teeth are very bright compared to the tooth surface surrounding it. It actually seems like they're spots in his teeth---just under the surface. We're waiting for his braces to come off before we do anything.

As far as something to help blend in the white spots, before he got his braces on we've tried Teresa's White Brite. It did a great job on brightening his teeth, but did not help at all in blending the two distinct areas. We did not try any other whiteners, but have tried toothpastes with whitening benefits.

I know my son and know he won't ever try oil pulling or brushing with magnesiun oil. If you are able to get your son to try it, please share with us.

If he's anything like my DS, then he's very self-conscious about his teeth. I pray he isn't and if he is, I pray that you find something that will work for him.

Good luck to you both!
    Crystal

Level

I hope you get a good answer here. I've noticed that even Sandra Bullock has this. I've never known what causes it.

big hugs to you and yours and you are in good company.

Pamela

Level

White spots can come from drinking soft drinks - the phosphoric acid in colas eat away at teeth. (Just imagine what it's doing to your BONES![B)][}][xx(][xx(])

Helena

Save $5 on your first purchase at www.iherb.com with this code: TEX520
    www.this-is-the-life.net

Level

My middle daughter has spots on her teeth too - my dental office asked me if she was ever on antibiotics as a baby/toddler and she was, she used to have chronic ear infections until she had her adnoids and tonsils taken out. So....that's why she has the spots, the antibiotics do something to the teeth when they are forming.

Mary Ann

Level

I'm also hoping someone will answer this.....I've had a white spot on one of my front teeth since I got my permanent teeth. It's never caused any problems and I smile a lot anyway but I'm curious......BTW ~ I've never been a big Coke drinker. Living in the South, I'm a big iced tea drinker. Any input would be appreciated and thanks Satara for opening this thread.

laura

Level

Yes, Tetracycline, if taken as a child, can cause discoloration and white spots in adult teeth. As stated, colas do the same. Lastly, malabsorption of calcium can also cause this, and, of course, I'm talking about celiac disease here. If your son never took Tetracycline and doesn't drink colas, you might investigate the possibility of malabsorption.

Laura H. (RoseTapper)

Level

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but normally the white spots are caused by fluoride. The condition is called Fluorosis. I'm not sure exactly how it works, because it's supposed to be caused by to much flouride in the system, ususally from the water source the child is drinking. But i've seen kids from the same family where only one of the children has this. So maybe some children are sensitive to the fluoride where others aren't.

We learned a lot about this while I was in Dental Assisting school. I'm an RDA now, and work for a general dentist.

Level

Anne, thank you! That's so good to know.

My DH's teeth were permanently stained yellow from fluoride drops when he was a kid, but I didn't know it would cause the white spots.

Pamela

Level

Ann, is there anything that can be done to get rid of them, or is it more a matter of covering them up?

Crystal