Thread: Date substitute in raw food

Level

Default Date substitute in raw food

Hello,

Does anyone have a good date substitute for raw food eating? I am going to go on a 70-80% raw diet starting this weekend and so many recipes call for dates, which give me 'tongue burn.' I think raisins may be too strong of a taste to substitute.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Mary Alice

Level

Have you actually tried putting the dates in the recipes and it burns your tongue, or are you avoiding them because eating them straight causes the "tongue burn"? If you haven't tried the recipes, you might try one that doesn't have many dates and see what happens. (In other words, a Lara Bar with dates as the first ingredient may not work for you, but a cookie recipe with 6 dates in it may be no problem at all.)

It depends on the recipe, whether you can substitute. If there's only a few dates, they probably won't bother you, AND it's probably easier to substitute or just leave them out entirely. I think they're often just in there for sweetness, but sometimes it might be for texture. You might just be able to add agave in some recipes. Since they are kinda sticky, if you think they're in there for binding purposes, you could add some soaked flax seeds. If the recipe is highly seasoned, like with cinnamon, I don't think it would matter if you used raisins or something more highly flavored. It really may not matter anyway. I think you'll have to experiment a little. Good luck!

-Moyne
    www.chinow.com/moyne

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

Level

Thank you, Moyne! I'll try some recipes this week using some medjool dates. We'll see if they cause issues...perhaps, like you wrote, it was just that things I have tried earlier had too high a proportion of dates for me. If I just use a few for a crust, where the nuts are higher in proportion, that may not have the same effect.

And...do you yourself have any favorite raw prep books? I have a few from when I went mostly raw a couple years ago, but they were a bit overwhelming. I felt great with mostly raw, but I don't think I planned too well. This time I am using Raw Food Made Easy by Jennifer Cornbleet. I have my list of recipes for the week ready and will be using the weekend to make some sesame milk, some pate's etc. I would appreciate any other tips you may have...

BTW...I LOVE the idea of having the people at the store open the thai coconuts!!

And...if anyone were to venture to Minneapolis, we do have a raw restaurant here called Ecopolitan. Their raw nachos and pizzas are great!

Thanks for the tip about the dates!

Best!
    Mary Alice

Level

Oooh, raw nachos and pizza?! Any ideas how they do it? Sounds really yummy to me. That's the kind of stuff I miss.

The Carol Alt books are pretty easy going. I love [u]Living Cuisine </u>by Renee Underkoffler. It's pretty extensive and is a great reference. Her recipes are more involved, but then she's a chef who converted to raw foods and has run a famous raw restaurant. She literally goes into every single fruit, veggie, grain, nut, etc., and every variety of every one and describes each in detail as far as characteristics, flavor, benefits, etc.

Seriously, though, any idea how to recreate those recipes?![]

-Moyne
    www.chinow.com/moyne

Level

Thanks, Asha! I'll let you know if the apricots/papaya work if the dates are still too strong.

Next time I go to Ecopolitan, I'll check to see if they would share some of their techniques...They have GREAT desserts, too! And they offer raw prep classes...I just missed one on raw cheeses made from fermenting seeds and nuts. Next time!

I have [u]Living Cuisine </u> by Renee Underkoffler. I did try a couple of her recipes...the 'clam chowder' using zucchini and coconut milk was EXCELLENT!!!

I think I am going to transition this time following a couple days 100% raw and then a day to eat some grains until I get some of the dehydrator recipes down. I am soooo eager to try that onion bread!

Back to the nachos...I think that pine nuts are used as a base for the nacho cheese sauce. Wish I could send you a couple pizza slices and the nachos...they are soooo good!

Best,
    MA

Level

Mary Alice, are you vegan raw? I'm using raw milk products and I use small amounts of clean (cooked) eggs and meats. I'm not completely raw.

My friend that I buy raw goat milk from (for my kefir) showed me how to make raw goat cheese last week and I made 2 different kinds -- feta and one that's sort of like a cream cheese. I'm going to make a raw ice cream using the cream cheese, along with the raw coconut juice/meat, some avocados and lime juice, plus agave and stevia to sweeten. I've made a partially raw version of this before and am so excited to make a completely raw one!

Oh, and I just ordered a Champion Juicer! I'm so excited! I was saving for a VitaMix, but decided to get the juicer first since I can make my own raw almond butter with it, as well as grind sprouts and nuts into pastes better than with my food processor or current blender. I still want a VitaMix, but I think this will get me doing more things quickly than if I wait to afford a VitaMix. And one cracker recipe I wanted to try called for the juice of one bunch of kale....how the heck would I know how much other liquid to try to substitute?! I'm really hoping to save money on the carrot juice I've been buying from the HFS, as well as the almond butter that always has shell pieces in it. I think I'm breaking my teeth! (And I'm not convinced the almonds are not pasteurized -- it's Maranatha, do you know?)

-Moyne
    www.chinow.com/moyne

Level

When I was previously raw, it was 100% vegan. I think the change was too drastic and I was too dogmatic. Because...when I 'fell off' I went crazy with my eating habits and became less and less vegan (I was a very strict vegan before going raw).

So, now I just want to gradually transition to a 70 - 80% raw diet. If I had access to raw milk, good eggs, I probably would do that as well. I'd love to try that ice cream!!! I simply want to get the benefits of eating mostly raw without giving myself a deprived feeling...so slowly but surely! I'll probably do a raw diet two - three days and eat cooked one day. Kinda like the GM/MM but raw/cooked until I gradually want to eat more raw. So, we shall see!

Have fun with the Champion!

BTW, the cracker recipe calling for kale...that sounds very interesting!

Best,
    MA

Level

Raw cheese helps me a lot. I can get a good brand at my local HFS and it's not TOO expensive. They have it in mild and sharp cheddar and monterey jack styles. The jack works as mozzarella in most things, too.

One suggestion I read was to do raw for breakfast and lunch and then have some cooked food for dinner. I think that was from Carol Alt's naturopath. Anyway, just another idea! (Which is kinda what I'm doing right now, until my juicer comes and I can stock up again at Whole Foods!)

-Moyne
    www.chinow.com/moyne

Level

I use mission figs and agave nectar...you might try those

Mona Lisa

"God created teenagers to punish us so we would know what it felt like to have someone created in our own image that denied our existance"

Level

Thanks for the tip, Mona Lisa.

Moyne, I do pretty much raw lunch all the time (and not much of a breakfast person)...great, big salad with sunflower seed dressing. I think once I get a few standards down, some decent desserts, some pates, then things will fall in place. And...I'm going to start working from home a couple weeks a month...that will soooo help!

I should try some raw cheese at some point.

Best all,
    Mary Alice