Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thigh muscles of doom

Level

Default Thigh muscles of doom

First off, I have done countless searches on this and have yet to find a past thread that can help me answer this. If I have missed a thread that addresess my issue, please correct me and tell me about it. I hope this is not a repeat thread.

I have been doing T-Tapp for about 4 or 5 months. I am a combo and LTL so things are going slooooowly and kind of steadily. My main concern are my thighs, and more specifically my upper thigh muscles. I just don't know what I can do to thin them out. There is a pesky layer of fat over them so that could also be a contributing factor, but I really dislike how from a side view my thighs have a Y formation (if you can picture it!)

What I have been doing so far is BWO+ EOD (I was doing TWO EOD but things are getting really stressful at school so I'd rather fit in a small workout rather than no workout), AL every day and the Love Handle Challenge that's been going around. I also do slow plies and slow lunges, which seem to swell the muscle rather than shrink it. I've heard good things about Minimax, HTF and Tempo Lower Body. Will these help moreso than TWO? I just don't have time for it. Plus I'm a little discouraged because in the past month my inchloss has been nonexistant.

I know my legs have the potential to shrink the muscle as when I pull my skin taught around my leg (this sounds weird I know...) and push the muscle and fat to one side I can see a skinnier leg.

If anyone can push me in the right direction I'd be much appreciative! Or if anyone can share their own thigh success stories just to keep me motivated, that would be great too.

Level

HI J,

Well being a LTL combo only doing BWO+ EOD, things may well stall. Is it possible for you to do BWO+ daily or alternate BWO+ and SATI? The best move to thin the thighs is Extended stretching in Linear Alignment. This move is the first movement on the Lady Bug Floor Work.

How is the eating? Are you getting enough nutricious food and avoiding processed foods? Do you skin brush and get plenty of water? TWO is your best bet, try applying the BBJ tweak and lifting the big toe to help engage the thigh muscles more. Also use a mirror to watch that you keep your shuoulders back over your hips.

Michelle Barbuto - Senior T-Tapp Trainer
    Total Workout, MORE, Hit the Floor and Lady Bug certified

Updated website and training schedule www.fitwithsix.com
    Join me! November T-Tapp YOU online class

Level

hi J

just my thoughts but I'm an ltl combo too and noticed my legs getting bulkier at the thigh, I'd read all the threads yada yada yada..... thought I was doing it right then suddenly noticed one day I really wasn't holding the muscles tight in plies AT THE TOP also in Lunges... I really really concentrated on it (and believe me it was hard too as I'd been so convinced I was holding it all tight) and within 3 workouts my thighs slimmed down again and as an added bonus my calves did too!!! I think the tightness in AL works really well too but I always get cramps doing it so I don't!!

hope this helps

cords

Level

quote:I think the tightness in AL works really well too but I always get cramps doing it so I don't!!
    Cords, where do you get cramps when doing AL?

Michelle Barbuto - Senior T-Tapp Trainer
    Total Workout, MORE, Hit the Floor and Lady Bug certified

Updated website and training schedule www.fitwithsix.com
    Join me! November T-Tapp YOU online class

Level

Monica - If I actually get off my butt more I'm sure I can definitely do BWO+ everyday. Do you think this will move things along (inchwise, that is)? The LadyBug workout sounds good too - would I do it by itself or along with BWO+?

Concerning food, I try to eat as much "good" food as possible. I don't often eat processed food (eg: I eat pizza about twice a month, if that). I eat a lot of lean meats, pulses and fruit. I try to drink a lot of water but I've been really tired lately so caffeine has been dehyrdating me. I have to get back into brushing - I used to do it everyday but now it's more EOD. I'm sure I can try and find the time to get TWO in once a week. My mental state is kind of lazy right now when it comes to exercise - the work piles up and exercise is the first thing to go. What is the BBJ tweak? And will lifting the big toe aid the thigh muscles and tell them to get a clue and to thin out? :P

Cords - What workouts were you doing? TWO or BWO+ or something else/a combination? Can you also tell me how you focused on form more? I seem to be in your old boat so perhaps knowing more about your thigh journey will help me out!

Level

Big ball joint activates the inner thigh.

Kim

http://www.myspace.com/finnegansslam

Level

Yes doing BWO+ daily will progress things nicely. It is only 20 minutes, or alternate it with the SATI. Lady Bug is an awesome workout, but for now I'd rather see you get used to doing Beg/Rehab and develop the ever important NK transmissions to all of your muscles.

BBJ = Big Ball Joint, and yes, this helps to activate the inner thigh better. Here are some more form pointers that I have:

When you see a gain in the thighs it is a result of a few things with form:

1) not keeping shoulders in alignment with hips throughout the entire workout, but especially on Plies and Lunges

2) relaxing the thigh muscles at the top and/or bottom of each Plie and Lunge

3) not tucking butt enough throughout the entire workout and/or letting the butt go out on Plies

Shoulder to Hip Alignment: This is the most important linear alignment issue for T-Tapp. You have to get this down in order to get results with the program. It's really very simple, stand up straight and roll your shoulders back. That's it! Sometimes easier said than done. You need to concentrate on doing this throughout the entire workout. For example, if you are doing the Plies and you lean slightly forward, the butt goes out, which causes you to inactivate the muscle attachments in the stomach, torso, and thighs. You start to create momentum and isotonic movement and you will create bulk. This is a big tendency for Short Torso and Combination body types, so if you're in this category you need to pay extra attention to shoulder linear alignment during the Plies (and each and every exercise) to spot check yourself. You can read more on this subject in Teresa's article Importance of Shoulder Rotation/Linear Alignment found in the Newsletter Archives (http://forum.t-tapp.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=945).

Plies: Form check to make sure you have your heels right underneath your armpits and feet are at a 45 degree angle; it is not necessary to have a greater angle like a ballet dancer. When you begin to squat you need to tuck your butt - a full pelvic tilt until you feel your hip ball attachments activate. Now, try to go down into the Plie Squat while twisting your knees out further and further until you reach the squatting position. You are still balancing on the outside edge of your foot with NO WEIGHT ON THE BIG TOES! Your goal is to get your knees 2 inches past the little toe - you may not be able to get there yet, but it's a matter of flexibility that will come with time. HOLD YOUR SQUAT! Now tighten the Latissimus dorsi muscles (the lats - sides of your body where your bra strap normally is) to keep your upper body isolated and increase overall fat burning. Once you are ready to do Plies, concentrate on going into a squat like described above and then when you are coming back up against gravity you are going to TUCK YOUR BUTT HARDER and try to TWIST, TWIST, TWIST your knees out (if it helps try to twist from the hip ball joints) as you straighten your legs (should fully straighten at the top)...KEEP THE THIGH MUSCLES TIGHT THE ENTIRE TIME AND DO NOT REST THE MUSCLES AT THE TOP OF THE PLIE and then go back into your squat. This move will completely eliminate the inner thigh, outer thigh, hip and butt. The reason why you see the gain in the thighs is because you are probably not tucking the butt enough, the shoulders aren't in alignment, and you're relaxing the muscles at the top of the Plie. You just need to make sure that your muscles stay tight the whole time and you'll be able to reverse the bulk.

Lunges - General: The same form tips on Plies apply to the Lunges. Make sure that you keep the thigh muscles tight the whole time. Common error is to release the muscles as you come all the way up on the lunge. This defeats the purpose and you can actually build bulk. In the lunges make sure you remember to push/roll out your knees and tighten butt when going down with gravity, but it is even MORE important to push/roll out knees and tuck more as you come up. The lunges are like one continuous movement; you donít want to pause at the top or the bottom. Once agai

Level

Hi Michelle.

Thanks for all the information. I have not gained on the thighs, but I get kind of confused about keeping the leg muscles tight on the top of plies and lunges. How do you keep the leg muscle tight without locking the knees? Because, it feels like my knees want to lock. Do I just keep them tight and not lock? It seems like a sublte move. Or, am I overthinking this?

Thanks,
    Dru

Level

Thank you so much for all the tips! I have a question about the lunges though - I have huge issues trying to tuck as I come up and trying to push my knee out as I go down. I always make sure to keep proper alignment in the lunges in terms of shoulders over hips and also making sure that my thigh muscle is continually tight. I think it's the problems tucking that set me back.

I guess I really need to get back in TWO. I was very good about doing it 3x a week in September, but this month has been quite bad! My motivation dips really easily and it's hard for me to get back into the habit. [xx(]

Level

Wow, Michelle! Great tips as usual! Thank you!

Just an idea, JVicious, but do you have time to do 4 reps each of the exercises in TW? Not sure if that would help in your case, but sometimes that's all I can get in in the time Teresa takes to do her 8 and I get tightening and toning still--when I pay strict attention to form and leverage isometrics (I'm like you, LTL with thigh issues).

Betsy