Thread: White spots on nails - from polish?

Level

Default White spots on nails - from polish?

For a couple of years now, I've noticed the same pattern: after keeping my toenails polished over the warm sandal-wearing months, my nails develop white splotches, particularly on the big toe. It's not fungus, and it's not the kind of white spot you get if you hit your nail. I can remove the white spots by buffing the nail, which shows that the whiteness is only in the top layers of the nail.

It's not that big a deal, really, except that it means that I'm embarrassed to go to a salon to get a pedicure when I have the spots, because they LOOK like they could be the start of a fungal infection. After a good buffing and a winter of being polish-free, my nails look just fine, but I know the spots will come back after I start to polish them again.

The simplest solution would be to give up nail polish, but I love the way my toes look all shiny and colorful in my sandals. I've heard that the spots can be caused by an allergic reaction to something in the polish, so I'm thinking about pitching all my drugstore polishes and trying a "natural" polish, maybe even a water-based one.

Does anyone else have this problem, and have you found a solution? Spring is coming soon, and my toes are itching for some air!

~summer
    http://summertime.blog-city.com/

Level

it starts w/dehydration & a sensitivity to the formaldehyde chemicals in the polish. Try the Essie brand.

then...the mineral deficiency kicks in bec. of the toxicity of the polishes.... so... cellfood, organic coconut & extra virgin olive oil, inside & out helped me... brushing the feet, soaking in warm-to-hot epsom salts & massaging in the oils. years ago a man i knew had spots on his fingernails... turned out he was severely anemic & hypothyroid. maybe related.

keep movin'..the path shows up behind you...

Level

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I needed! I think that I have some sort of allergy to one of the toxic chemicals; I have so many other allergies it makes sense. It probably is the formaldehyde, yuck! I am so ready to dump out the contents of my manicure box!

I did a bit of research about formaldehyde-free polishes, and I think I'll try using just L'Oreal polish -- they're free of formaldehyde, phthalates and tolulene, and they're easy for me to get at the drugstore. Revlon was also mentioned as a mass market brand that doesn't have those chemicals, and I saw that OPI and Sally Hansen are changing their formulas to omit them, but I'll give them a year or so before I purchase any, because you never know how long a bottle has been sitting on the shelf.

I hope this cures this issue, because I'm vain and I love having pretty polished toes!

~summer

Level

Hi Summer,

I also have this problem. In fact, it's worse on my fingers. Eventually, several nails lifted up from the bed. Quite painful and NOT pretty. So I might only wear nailpolish for one night, twice a year, at a formal event. Otherwise, I get them buffed.

It's better on the toes, I think because the nail is tougher. I could only suggest that a day or two before you get a pedicure you remove the polish yourself, and let the nails "breathe". How long do you go between pedicures? I think it's better not to keep the polish on so long, and to give the nails a "break" every once in a while, for a week or so.

BTW, non-formadehyde polish was not a solution for me, but it's been years since I tried them.

Good luck!

Laura
    AKA

Summertime

Level

Laura, have you tried any of the water-based polishes like Suncoat or Honeybee Gardens? I just ordered three bottles of Suncoat, which got pretty good reviews most places I checked. Once I've had a chance to try it, I'll post a review here, because I'm fairly certain that most of us here share both the desire to look pretty and to avoid nasty chemicals as much as possible.

~summer