Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is alfalfa a phytoestrogen?

Level

Michelle,

But the bottle of Premium Blended Alfalfa (BBB) that I ordered from T-Tapp store has this description -"...These nutrient-rich Alfalfa leaves are dried by only the Sun and Air allowing the leaves to retain the nutritional qualities of the original alfalfa plant.".
    And further the research on Blackwell Synergy says that phytoestrogen is present in some form in all the parts of the plant - legumes,stems, leaves and flowers.

Yatri.

Level

From Teresa (topic http://forum.t-tapp.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43840)

First of all, Alfalfa is NOT a phytoestrogen. Instead it is proven to assist and support's your body's pituitary gland which regulates your body's level of estrogen. That's why Alfalfa works so well in helping our body maintain proper hormonal balance during monthly cycles (PMS control)and through menopause! If your body's level of estrogen is too high, it will lower....and if your body's level of estrogen is too low, it will raise it. Since our bodies are in a constant state of "homeostasis" (maintaining bio-chemical balance), it works in perfect synch.

As far as a substitute for Alfalfa for hormonal balance abilities, there are none. However, Alfalfa is also a proven anti-inflammatory without side effects and it alkalinizes your body (for those who tend to be over-acidic). You can substitute other dense greens like wheat grass and barley but to support your skin's ability to tighten and tone without Alfalfa be sure to also take a complete multi-vitamin and multi-mineral supplement. For extra skin support add Immune Boost (because it contains vitamin C, Zinc and grape skin extract ...all of which help the skin produce collagen). You can also support your skin's intake of minerals by taking dead sea salt soaks and using CellFood drops in your water (it contains all the trace minerals, amino acids, as well as ability for your body to oxygenate at cellular level...please note: CellFood is NOT oxygen drops!)

BUT most important is to BRUSH your body using the CRT pattern! Also try not to use lotions that contain alcohol and lower your intake of sugar which is very acidic and contributes to the breakdown of your skin's cellular structure.

Last of all, pump that lymph daily with PBS, Hoe Downs, and WALK (Step Away the Inches or walking using T-Tapp techniques) so your body can increase nutrient delivery into cellular tissue as well as increase elimination of cellular waste out of your skin!

Good luck...you'll be able to get your cellulite under control and tighten your skin without the Premium Blend Alfalfa as long as you help your body help itself.

Teresa Tapp

And from Teresa in topic http://forum.t-tapp.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9070

Yes, you're so right about Lupus concerns which is one of the reasons I was so pleased with the BBB Premium Blend of Alfalfa...there's no seeds in it. Plus I always caution people about alfalfa sprouts...mold has become such an issue with alteration of protein molecular properties and autoimmune disorders.

I've had Lupus patients referred to me for T-Tapp as a way to stimulate immune system with T-cell formation documented. Their patients did allow them to take the Premium Blend of Alfalfa to offset inflammation and none of them had any adverse reaction.

BUT I always tell people who have any concerns to please check with their primary physician. Each body is a different bio-chemical machine with many, many unique properties to each "disease" or "condition".

Wow, from RN to computers....now that's a switch! My mom was an RN ... I used to hang around the ER all the time as a little girl.

Hope to see you soon, Teresa

Michelle Barbuto - Senior T-Tapp Trainer
    Website and training schedule www.fitwithsix.com
    T-Tapp Trainer Mentor Want to be a T-Tapp Trainer?
    Email me michelle@t-tapp.com

Level

From reading John R. Lee's book "What Your Doctor Won't Tell You about Menopause". I think that's the title and it's been a long time since I've read it, but, from what I remember, he said that phytoestrogens are better for us anyway because they take up the estrogen receptors - thus preventing real "estrogen" dominance. They don't react in the body as estrogen does. Am I way off?

Becki

Level

Thanks Michelle for the info.

And I think that the point here is given that there is so much research on Alfalfa being a phytoestrogen, Teresa should clarify on this issue, as I see her old message circulating which says that Alfalfa is not a phytoestrogen.

Whether Alfalfa has beneficial effect or not is for each one of us to determine, as it might affect each one of us in different degrees or just entirely differently.

As for myself I stated taking Alfalfa about 2-3 weeks back and taking 6 tablets a day, and I see that my periods are early (5-7 days) this time.

I will keep with it for a while since I am blood O type to see if there are real benefits in tightening my skin.

And I do think since the Premium blend Alfalfa from BBB is dried Alfalfa leaves, and NOT legumes, and the fact that it is NOT a concentrate makes it a "food" and not a supplement.

No ones knowledge is perfect as there is not such thing as perfect knowledge. And we should all be humble enough to accept that all our knowledge is borrowed.

-

Yatri.

Level

Yatri, alfalfa is considered both a forage legume and a food as far as I have ever read or heard....

[u]Lori</u>

Level

Lori,

Thanks for the correction about the legume being a food. I should know as I am a vegetarian .

Also I must admit that I don't really know why the Alfalfa from BBB is categorized under "food" - I am learning from other posts on this forum that each tablet has about 500mg of Alfalfa in it ...and that one would need to eat lots of alfalfa(I don't remember how much was mentioned) to nearly equal that - as if it is "concentrated" doesn't it actually make it a supplement? GM foods don't come in concentrated form...right?

Well, update on my experiment with Alfalfa:
    Before ALfalfa:
    I always have had regular periods although much lighter than what I used to have before my kids came (Am 5'1", 125 lbs, 39 years and have 3 kids 7,5,3 yrs, all normal delivery). I attributed it to the calcium(Citrcal) and cod liver oil pills I was taking, which I discovered in combination helped my BAD BAD PMS tremendously! I have sailed though my 5 days, worked out and have had great energy and mood after calcium + cod liver!

After Alfalfa for about 2 weeks or less:
    I am 2-3 lbs heavier, my periods was early this time and my tummy is really realy bloated and hurts a lot... but no cramps. I also see more small clots in the blood than before I started on alfalfa.
    I suspect that Alfalfa has increased my estrogen activity which is causing all this although one other change is I have stopped cod liver pills + calcium as I ran out of these.

I almost feel like I should give up alfalfa right now, what with all the research pointing to it having estrogenic activity, ...And then I read its many benefits...sigh!

Until next time.

"The journey is the only thing" - Dan Millman

Yatri.

Level

Yatri,

You might try calling the gals in the office and talking with them about your problem. I had similar experience with weight gain and bloat when I took alfalfa on 4 different occasions. Lauren thought the weight gain could have come from muscle built since alfalfa is a plant protein. There is also the possibility that you're allergic to it, and that would be the bloating. As I said, I tried to take it 4 different times for 30 days each over the last two years. Just the past 3 months I've finally been able to take 6-9per day and really notice the benefits! I think I was having a tough time at first digesting them and it was causing gas (bloat) but now something clicked with my body.

Kayla Howard ~T-Tapp Trainer
    Pacific Northwest
    http://trainerkayla.blogspot.com/

Level

I agree with calling the office.
    I myself had to work up to taking the full dose. I took one a day for a while and worked up from there. I am glad I did! Teresa's alfalfa is great!

Allison Sisney
    TnT Northwest Missouri

Level
    Blog Entries

Thanks Michelle for bringing this thread to my attention.

First of all, I still stand by my earlier post in stating that Alfalfa is not a phytoestrogen. Does it help your body regulate estrogen levels within your body? Yes. As I've stated before, Alfalfa supports pituitary function, of which helps regulate estrogen levels within the body (ie: increase or decrease as needed to help improve hormonal balance) This has long been documented in various studies.

Second, Premium Blend Alfalfa capsules are for supplemental purpose, but in addition to them containing high levels of mineral and vitamins, they are considered a good source of plant protein (therefore they have the ability to support cellular repair, muscle development, and reduce fluid retention) Thus my reference to Alfalfa being a "food" supplement; Alfalfa is not an herb. Furthermore, the protein content in each Premium Blend Alfalfa capsule ranges from 21 - 27% (compared to average Alfalfa supplements being in range of 11 - 19%)

Yatri, my question to you is how long have you been doing T-Tapp and which workout or workouts have you been doing? I'm guessing that you are relatively a new tapper since you have less than 10 postings. FYI, it has been documented that the T-Tapp workout alone can cause cycle variations for the first few months. I agree with you, however and have recommended Calcium supplementation for years because of its positive effect/support on female cycles and sleep patterns. (Although I prefer a higher ratio of magnesium to calcium aws formulated in CountryLife's Nerve and Osteo Support tablets.)

In reference to your comment, "No ones knowledge is perfect as there is not such thing as perfect knowledge. And we should all be humble enough to accept that all our knowledge is borrowed.", I TOTALLY AGREE. I've been a big advocate and believer in Alfalfa due to "knowledge borrowed" while working with some profound holistic researchers in Europe during the early to mid 1980's. They opened my eyes to tons of research done on Alfalfa all over the world (including America). From cellular alkalinity, edema, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer abilities, to cellular reconstruction for faster healing and/or anti-aging - Alfalfa, in my opinion, is the perfect food supplement with very little, if no side effects. Obviously there will be those who have legume allergies that may not be able to take it. As a third generation O blood type (ie: both my parents and both sets of my grandparents have O+ blood), I swear by the Premium Blend Alfalfa that I am able to get. If I don't take it, my back and finger joints hurt. It really helps those with arthritic conditions and/or those in need of pain management. And now that it is well known that all anti-inflammation drugs have have major side effects, Alfalfa has been a God send for those who suffer!

Am I telling you to take it? No. Is it necessary for those wanting to improve skin elasticity and cellulite control? No... body brushing done in CRT pattern in combination with T-Tapp exercises greatly improve both situations with most people achieving visible results within 6 weeks. Taking the supplements that come with the CRT system just make it happen quicker. After working in Europe for over 18 years in an industry that demands body perfection (fashion/print industry)I definitely learned a lot and was able to tweak my T-Tapp and CRT body program to deliver results and deliver them quickly. So there's no need for you to take Alfalfa if you don't want to.

In fact, since you're having adverse reactions, I suggest you stop taking Alfalfa and just concentrate on maximizing muscle movement with T-Tapp techniques during daily activity in addition to doing the T-Tapp Total workout. There's no need to take something your body doesn't agree with. In my opinion, movement matters the most. I'm just thankful that Afalfa works so well for me and for the majority of people (men and women) I've recommended it to....AND I'm very grateful that I am even able to purchase the Premium Blend Alfalfa.

Level

Dear Teresa,

Thank You for taking the time out to address my concerns.

Momentarily digressing from the issue here(Please bear with me):
    I am 5' 1", petite and used to be at 110 lbs before kids(my ideal weight then), and never had any issues with weight fluctuations. My cycles had always been regular, and I did not have any health concerns for 29 years of my life. In short, I *should have* felt thankful and counted my blessings. There is that saying - "You never know what you have until you lose it". SO despite all my blessings, I was also a little insecure and I considered myself "thin"(I had allowed strong cultural influences to affect me) and let the thought that I needed to put on more weight to be attractive take root. I had no idea at that time about increasing my muscle mass by working out with weights. So right after getting married( a time when my insecurities increased during the first year) I decided to experiment with Soy extracts sold at that time by a company "Estroven". The results of taking SOy from Estroven initially helped my body change to my desired "image" of having fuller curves. But after about 3-4 months of regular intake of Soy extracts, I started to feel my cysts in my breasts increase in size and get more painful, my abdomen started to feel bloated and heavier, and I felt lethargic and to the point could not "feel" my body anymore. The RN from my gynec office felt my thyroids had enlarged and my Gynec was MAD really mad at me! She explained to me the different types of hormones and the delicate balance that existed between them. She said Soy extracts had changed my estrogen levels to a point where the "balance" had been disturbed. She ordered me to discontinue my Soy supplements. Also coffee which was another culprit in increasing my cysts size in my breasts.

SO it took me a whole year for my cycle to get back to normal, and my body to balance itself out! Also during that one year it took my body to balance itself out I could not conceive despite the fact that my husband and I were trying regularly what with me monitoring my ovulation timings with a Basal thermometer and all! So I noted my fertility had decreased due to hormonal imbalance imparted by the Soy extracts!

SO that was my lesson to avoid all phytoestrogen "extracts" which I feel is very unnatural for a body which already has that perfect hormonal balance. Maybe it helps pre-menopausal or menopausal women, I don't know, but it was not for me. Now I have the word extracts in quotes because being a vegetarian and for one who eat a lot of legumes, nuts, seeds and greens I do know that there is phyoestrogenic activity in almost all of these foods.

But they are not "concentrated". Hence the body does not adversely react to the small inputs, and maybe it even adapts to it in a gradual way.

SO this was also MY lesson on understanding that my knowledge is imperfect and borrowed. The more I try to acquire knowledge about anything I realize how much there is to know and how little I do! It was a very important lesson in my life as I used to disperse unwanted advice about health and nutrition to whoever crossed my path. Okay I do admit I still do it a`wee bit especially about trying out T-Tapp .

SO Teresa if I mentioned the line about imperfect/borrowed knowledge then I was actually referring it to myself, but it came out as though I may have pointedly said that to you! I am SO SORRY! The reason for my whole Soy story is to let you know I did not intend that line for you.

I have tremendous respect for you as a teacher par excellence, and for being one who is living the Real Purpose of Life - Service to Others!
    Your humility and humanity is but an indication of the "real success" you have achieved - a balance of the material and the spiritual wings of life. My hats off to you for every thing you are and for being a role model for so many of us!

And about my workout - I have been doing the Instructional part 1 of Total workout 2 - 3 times a week sometimes 4 times, and been doing it only for the past 2 months