Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr Fuhrman or Dr Mercola?

Level

Default Dr Fuhrman or Dr Mercola?

I've been looking into each of their websites/books, and am very intrigued..DH and I both need to lose weight and have high cholesterol. He's on meds for his blood pressure too.

I'm looking for opinions from anyone who's used either one of their programs, were they easy to follow? Lots of supplements to buy? Good results? Any feedback would be great, I'm on a limited budget and can't really get both!
    Thanks
    Carrie

Level

I would suggest Dr. Young at phmiracleliving.com.

DEBBIESCH

Level

I love Mercola's newsletters. You can do a search for info on the diet on his site. I think you have to look at what you are willing to do and see which one fits you, your life style and belief system. Mercola is for the most part grain free with minimal supplements. I do take his Krill oil as it keeps me from having mood swings.

Wendy

You can learn something from everyone you meet. Just listen...

Level

Go to your local lib. and check out Dr. Fuhrman's book Eat to Live. This way you can read his work and make the decision if this is a way you can eat. I found the book full of great information. With 5 others in my family to feed I found it too difficult to follow. We eat mostly GM and for now I'm happy with this.
    Renee

Level

I've done Fuhrman's Eat to Live, but it's very hard to keep up with processing all of the veggies. I found it rather expensive and time consuming, not to mention tasteless, but I did lose weight before I lost interest. [xx(]

FYI - my cholesterol and tryglicerides dropped exceptionally low after 6 weeks of low carb, which I did find easy to follow. I also lost weight on low carb.

As for Fuhrman and Mercola, I get both of thier newsletters. Neither of them looks terribly healthy to me in thier more recent photos - but that could be a matter of personal preference. All of thier web site photo's look like they've been retouched. [B)] Dr. Young (PhMiracle) does look healthy to me, and my brother had good success with his plan.

PS - why are all of these guys going bald??? [}][}]

Level

Isn't baldness genetic? I was always told that the gene is carried by the Mother, so however your Mom's dad hair was, so will your sons?

My poor son, my Dad had receeding hair really young, never went completely bald but not far from it either.

Mary Ann

Level

Dr. Mercola has claimed that had he given up grains earlier he would still have his hair.

I like Dr. Mercola's newsletters, I find them very informative and I have his book as well. Raising a large family though, I'm not willing to give up grains. I've read Nourishing Traditions and try to make my grains as healthy as we can based on the soaking methods. I've not read the ETL info though.

For me, it comes down to practicality (is that a word?). I'm a busy mom, raising and homeschooling six kids, I run a homebased business as well. Our choices in food have to be 1)healthy, 2)affordable, 3)somewhat simple to make, and 4)something that I can get my husband and six little kids to be willing to eat. I don't have time to spend all day shopping, prepping, cooking, or coaxing my kids into eating it.

I second trying the library for the books - even if you don't have time to read them both from cover to cover, you could skim them to see if you like one over the other and get a basic idea of what each might require.

Best wishes,
    Debbi

Blessed mom of six homeschoolin' kiddos

Level

Yeah I'm not sure if I want to totally give up grains either. I get Dr Mercola's newsletter and think it's good, I'm just not sure what to do. DH and I both need to lose weight for our health, plus I graduate in May and am determined to be a lot thinner by then. We've tried low carb before and it did not work well, especially for me. I'm just having a hard time trying to find ways to eat better that actually tastes pretty good. Any good cookbooks out there??

Level

You might want to look into Jordan Ruben's book, The Maker's Diet. He's very religious, but it is a helpful book whether you are religious or not. His story is scary but inspiring towards God-made eating.

Level

I've followed ETL for over a year and I love it. It did take some getting used to at first, but there are so many recipes, salad ideas, and stuff out there. After the first few weeks I actually found it quite easy (and yummy) to follow. We found our grocery bill actually went DOWN quite a bit when we started buying more produce and less of all the other junk. You don't have to give up grains completely, just limit them. And you can make your own adjustments to the plan especially after the first 6 weeks. I never had a problem processing all the produce. In fact, I could definitely tell when I deviated from the plan too much, because everything went through so much easier when I stuck with it. I'm pregnant now so I'm just doing the best I can with it (you know those cravings!), but it has done me a world of good. Besides losing about 40 pounds, my eyesight actually improved, my food allergies disappeared within weeks, my energy level went way up, and I've just felt better. I've never had a problem with blood pressure or cholesterol anyway, but both still went down, along with a significant rise in HDL.

Meredith--Down from a 14 to a 6!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sweat may be gross, Sweat may be stinky... But I'd better keep Tappin' or I'll look like a Twinkie!!

Just tuck it, okay?