Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apple cider vinegar

Level

Default apple cider vinegar

Hi! I read a post some time ago about using apple cider vinegar to cure GERD. I know the person said it didn't work for everyone only if you didn't have enough acid in your stomach. I have been taking medication (Nexium right now) for GERD for about five years. I would like to get off the medication. I tried taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 1/4 tsp of baking soda before every meal (as recommended on the Brahm's site I believe). It helped a lot. I didn't have any problems at night but I had some burning in my chest area off and on during the day, especially about an hour or so after the meal. I tried for 3 days, then I returned to the Nexium because I was afraid of aggravating my condition. How long does it take before all the symptoms disappear with apple cider vinegar? Can anyone help me with this. I would like to go back to it but I am unsure. Thank you!

Jacqueline

Level

http://forum.t-tapp.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45163

http://forum.t-tapp.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45028

Denise
    T-Tapp Trainer - Illinois
    http://flowerchild.us

If you can't make time for your health, you will have to make time for illness. - Marilu Henner

Level

Hi Jacqueline,

There are so many reasons for GERD that I'm not to sure anyone can give you an answer unless they are an ND. One book called Healthy Digestion the Natural Way by D. Lindsey Berkson may be of some help. You may need some good probiotics (kefir), digestive enzymes, etc. I know for myself, avoid wheat and take magnesium.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Wendy

You can learn something from everyone you meet. Just listen...

Level

Thank you Denise and Wendy! Those sites provide a lot of information. I think I was looking for a quick fix...which there is not. I have checked out the book recommendation on amazon and I will order them and get more information before I attempt to stop my medication again.

Level

Trust that your body can heal itself through natural ways. With the body, really there is no quick fix other than masking symptoms with perscriptions and never really knowing the cause. But do talk with your doctor about getting off any perscription meds.
    Take a look at what you're eating as well. Anything that doesn't come from a plant and is processed in any way can cause all kinds of problems in the body. Also sometimes allergies to foods can cause these types of issues. Good luck on your journey!

Denise

If you can't make time for your health, you will have to make time for illness. - Marilu Henner

Level

Do NOT take baking soda with the vinegar!!! It neutralizes the vinegar and will cause more problems. I am the one that said vinegar got me off my prevacid forever!!!
    Just take a simple test...put a little vinegar in apple juice or water and try it when you feel the acid...IF it helps, keep doing it whenever you need it! I got off of prevacid cold turkey doing this. It DID take time and I DID take a lot of vinegar at first...but it does get better!

Cindy

Level

I take Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar twice a day for GERD. I was taking Prevacid and had read about the vinegar so decided to try it. I take a tsp in water and chug it down, followed by some plain water, before breakfast and dinner. It does the trick for me, hardly ever belch anymore.[:0] My main problem was waking up in the night belching. When I saw a pulmonologist and was diagnosed with asthma she told me one of the causes is GERD. It got me to thinking that I did that in the night. She put me on the prevacid but I would rather do something natural then use meds.
    Now my husband has had a duodenal ulcer and was on Nexium for a year and had had to go back on. He tried the vinegar and it made him feel worse. [xx(] So consequentally he continues on the Nexium.
    So I don't know if it is because one of us had too much acid and the other too little or what. Actually his ulcer was caused by some other meds he had taken.
    HOpe this info helps you.
    Arliss

Here I go again, this time it will be a success!!!

Level

Check out Primal Defense for the ulcer. I've found the best prices at www.iherb.com

Denise

Level

Hey There!

I had an EXTREMELY bad case of GERD which resulted in Esophagitis(sp?) I was on Nexium for a while. Basically the GERD went away but came back last year, this time REALLY BAD! I was getting ready to see the doctor for it again as Esophagitis is a precancerous condition. I started the Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar and it did help. One thing that has helped me tremendously was I decided to go meat free and ya know what? Haven't had GERD symptoms at all since then. I'm thinking meat must be very hard for me to digest. I love all the things we should avoid when we have GERD [:I]

Take care!
    Mary Ann

May your neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, the Angels protect you and Heaven accept you. (Irish proverb)

Level

I find it interesting that most people actually have LOW stomach acid...I just wish the medical community could get with the program. One complaint of acid and they've got you on terrible drugs. And antacis are terrible...just do a little search on low stomach acid, it's scary stuff!!!!

Cindy