Thread: kefir vs. probiotics

Level

Default kefir vs. probiotics

Does anyone have an opinion regarding kefir vs. probiotics? Or am I mixing apples with oranges? Which would be considered more beneficial? Should you take one or both? I've been reading about candida overgrowth, leaky gut syndrome, etc., and my head is spinning. Lots of questions, but haven't found the answers.

Thanks!

Kim

Life is just a bowl of cherries. Don't take it serious, Life's too mysterious...

www.thechicpeach.com

Level

i alternate...one day kefir, one day probiotics.

keep movin'..the path shows up behind you...

Level

Well, I'm definitely not an expert, but the kefir is certainly less expensive and contains some things not found in "pills", at least if you culture it yourself (not so with the store-bought). That's partly why I decided to try culturing. I've only been using it the last couple days (just got my grains last week), so I don't yet have a report on the personal benefits yet, but there were so many glowing reports on the kefir threads, I figured I should give it a try. Otherwise, I use Garden of Life Primal Defense, but it's pretty pricey and so I don't always take it. Hopefully the home-cultured kefir will do it for me by itself. (I only pay $5-7 per gallon of raw goat's milk, which will last at least 2 weeks for one person, up to a month, depending on how much you take per day.)

Hope that helps!

-Moyne

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

Level

from personal experience, the kefir was way more powerful for me than any probiotic supplemement that I have taken. I had a major detox from the kefir and and really "feel" the difference when taking kefir compared to supplements.

Level

IMHO, kefir is better.

From the Kefir'nauts thread, which I just bumped:

Will probiotic pills provide the same benefits as homemade kefir?

No, but I suppose they're better than no probiotics.

While probiotics in pill form may be convenient, there's no telling how viable they are by the time you consume them. In addition, what good are the beneficial bacteria if they're dormant? Secondly, there's the cost issue. I make my own kefir and the only thing I pay for is my wonderful raw milk. Instead of having to buy expensive pills every month or replenish non-propagable commercial starters, my kefir grains multiply and I'm able to share them with friends and family.

In addition, with the pills, a few billion dormant bacteria pales in comparison to the trillions of active bacteria AND yeasts you typically get with a cup of kefir, which also contains a myriad of other vitamins and minerals that a pill doesn't provide.

Probiotic pills and starter kits also don't have the full spectrum of microflora that kefir does since commercial products must abide by certain codes and regulations mostly having to do with excluding beneficial yeasts (which real kefir has).

Derya

Level

Thanks! Kefir it is! I'm still toying with the idea of culturing my own kefir. Must admit to being a little intimidated by the process. Wish I could stomach goat's milk. I've read wonderful things about culturing kefir with it. It's just that the thought of it makes my eyes roll to the back of my head and summons an impressive gag reflex. [xx(] Sorry guys. Can't stomach lamb or cheese made from sheep's milk either. Once tried a creme de leche ice cream topping. Thought it was spoiled and sure enough, it was made with goat's milk.

Kim

Life is just a bowl of cherries. Don't take it serious, Life's too mysterious...

Level

I'm not a milk drinker AT ALL and was really worried about the goat's milk. Maybe there's a big taste difference when it's fresh and raw but I can't tell a taste or smell difference, and I'm PICKY! (And my nose is legendary for picking up things others can't! LOL) I've never bought homogenized/pasteurized goat's milk from the store, so I can't compare it to that, but this just smells like...milk! And it doesn't really separate like cow's milk does. In fact, it kind of reminds me of breastmilk in how it looks.

You might just check around and see what's available in your location. Do a sniff and taste test before you rule it out. Otherwise, try to find raw cow's milk, if you like the idea of that better.

-Moyne

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott