Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Knees

Level

Default Bad Knees

I was wanting advice on some t-tapp moves and bad knees. I've noticed that my knees are starting to hurt again and sometimes my lower back (small of the back to hip area to around the tail bone area) hurts also, not all the time after a t-tapp workout.

Any advice on moves like plies, lunge sequence, etc?

I would deeply appreciate the help.

Level

Hi Brenna,
    It is hard to fix without seeing your form, butt I would suspect that you are losing shoulder hip alignment and butt tuck (thus the low back pain) . If your shoulders are in front of your hips you would then be putting stress on your knees causing knee pain.

What workouts have you done this past 3 weeks?

Michelle Barbuto
    Senior T-Tapp Trainer
    www.fitwithsix.com

Level

Basic 15Plus, Total Workout, SATI, extra moves like Hoe Downs, Awesome Legs, Diva Derriere, OIP, HF, Elevators

Level

I want you to focus on form in the instructional 1 this week, if you have a mirror pay particular attention to shoulder hip alignment.

Michelle Barbuto
    Senior T-Tapp Trainer
    www.fitwithsix.com

Level

Hi Brenna,

I agree with Michelle. Shoulder to hip alignment makes a big difference in your results. If you are not maintaining it you can start to experience other problems with the workout. Remember to just do what you can. Even if you don't do all the reps or have to take an extra water break, its ok. You will make progress with the workout and eventually be able to do all the reps with excellent form.

For Plies: Instead of doing the up and down motion with the lower body on the exercise Plies you are going to be holding what we call a "Plie Squat". You should hold the Plie Squat until you think you are ready to move onto a regular Plie. You are still going to continue with the regular Plie arm movements, but you are going to concentrate on keeping the muscles around the top of your spine and shoulders tight (as if a pencil was between the shoulder blades).

So... to get into a Plie Squat you will place your heels right underneath your armpits. Your feet are at a 45-degree angle (it is not necessary to have a greater angle like a ballet dancer). Begin to get into the squat by tucking your butt. This butt tuck is a full pelvic tilt forward - you should be able to feel your hip ball attachments activate. Now, you will try to go down into a squat by twisting your knees out further and further until you reach the squatting position. Your weight should be on the outside edge of your feet. HOLD YOUR SQUAT! Now tighten the muscles in the upper back and start doing the arm movements. Maintaining the shoulder to hip alignment is extremely important on this exercise. Remember to do what you can and you will get results in your lower body by holding the Plie Squat.

For Lunges: You do not have to completely omit the lunge sequence and you can do the side lunges and front lunges. You do not have to do the drop lunges. Make sure that you are doing knee to the little toe BUT when you push your knee to the little toe try and focus to push that knee 1 inch past the little toe. You may not be there yet, but go to your personal max.

Also, do not lean towards the knee during lunges, instead lean away from the knee. Do not overextend either. Meaning make sure that when you are in your lunge your knee does not extend past the ankle. This will take the tension off of your knee, which allows you to rehabilitate it and avoid injury.

Are there any other moves that you have trouble with? Feel free to call me at the office to review this material. Hope it helps!

Casey
    T-Tapp Staff & TNT
    Tampa, Florida

Level

Casey,

What an awesome explaination of Plie Squat, I actually got up, tried it and felt it in my legs. Although I have to say I have no idea if I could hold that even for as long as the MORE DVD allows. I really felt it in my hip joints. THANK YOU!!!

Anna -UT
    'This IS good for me...This IS good for me...'

Wife to Andy
    Mother/Step-mom to Shaylee(17),Zachary(14),Joey(11), Ammon(8)and Reilly(7)

Level

Hi Anna,

I'm glad I could help! You can try to hold the squat for the first two arm sequences on Plies, (1) cross in front and pull/cross in front and up and (2) the pull/up/down/and up. Then add the Plie legs back in for the last two arm sequences, (1) in/outs and (2) up/half/in/outs. BUT make sure you are really focusing on shoulder to hip alignment, keeping the butt tucked and lower body muscles tight throughout the entire exercise.

Happy Friday!

Casey
    T-Tapp Staff & TNT
    Tampa, Florida

Level

Brenna

I don't know what most people consider bad knees, but I broke my right kneecap into three pieces five years ago. I could only stand the pins and wire (crazy eight shape over the top of my kneecap just under the skin) in my knee for 4 months before I demanded it be taken out. I was left with a very weak stiff knee and bursitis on the outer part of leg. I've always been an avid nordic tracker and walker, always had stairs to go up and down and then there was, of course, traditional physical therapy to get me back in shape. But it always hurt and my right quad has always looked smaller than my left , no matter what. After 5 months of the total workout, finally, finally, I can walk up and down stairs without wincing, jump, run, play volleyball with my 13 year old daughter and not be in pain. But...............it has taken 5 months to get here and there were times especially during that set of hoedowns right after arms, I was sure I was screwing it up worse than it was before, but no, that was just all the muscles, ligaments and tendons getting pushed, pulled and prodded back into shape. I'm usually just a reader, because you can bet I have been reading as much as I can about everything I can here. And this is the first place I got a really practical doable approach to getting my leg back into shape. I don't even dread doing lunges anymore. The advise given here by these gals is incredible. I just wanted you to know my story. One thing I really had to knock into my head was that I didn't need to do something every single day. I thought I had to do the total workout every other day after my 4 day bootcamp, plus do the basic on off days and I never really took a day off. I found out fast I couldn't do that, my body needed those days to recover and then I could go and do the total to the best of my ability and really do well. That's when I really started to enjoy the workouts because they are mentally as well as physically stimulating. I just think thread the needle is blast! Another thing I've learned to do is keep a fan blowing on me at all times. Makes it much more enjoyable when there isn't sweat running into your eyes. Sorry so long...........

Laurie

Level

Thanx Lorie. Maybe thats it, the muscles are just sore from getting it together. My right knee hasn't felt better since I tried squatting when I was 6 months pregnant with twins (Don't Ask). And now they'll be 1 1/2 in the middle of October. Maybe its just the muscles.

Thanx so much for your knee story.

Level

Should I even try the bun blaster move with my bad knees? I should also add that I hurt my knees when I was 6 months pregnant with twins.

any more advice?

I know I can't bend as far in the lunges and other moves. I feel it on the days I don't work out - my knees are in such pain.

Any advice?