Thread: toys for a 20 month old girl

Level

Default toys for a 20 month old girl

Hey you parents. Can you suggest a good gift for a 20 month old girl? I'm out of the loop parent-wise and have lost touch with what's new and improved or tried and true.

Thanks for any assistance!

Mav

People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when the sun's out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is light within.

~Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

Mav

People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when the sun's out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is light within.

~Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

Level

My daughter loved Fisher Price Little People at that age. She wore out the zoo and Noah's Ark. Duplo blocks (bigger Legos) are also great for toddlers.

Her favorite toy for the longest time was the Little Tykes Kitchen. She got that for her first birthday and played with that for years. She recently gave it to the little girl down the street (14 months) and that little girl beelined for it and loves it.

Level

My daughter loved little plastic dishes and tea sets with fake food--she could play with those for hours. She also liked a little plastic stroller for her dolls. Also, any kind of little people or pets to "play house" with are always big pleasers.

Laura H. (RoseTapper)

Level

My twins are 27 months, but they have loved Little People sets since they were one

Beth
    FABULOUS Mommy to twins Nathan and Jessica (born 04/20/2004)

Level

I would have to ditto all previous responses re: Fisher Price Little People sets- my daughter is now 4 and still likes to play with them- she loves the zoo and circus sets. There are also the Leap Frog products- pretty popular w/ my kiddos and they have some neat stuff for younger tikes. Cabbage Patch Kids are also making a comeback[:I] I'm not sure what the recommended age is on those. Have fun picking something out!

Level

All of the above, and just for a different idea, if the little one likes to draw (and of course can't be trusted to roam free with writing utensils), I highly recommend the special Color Wonder markers and paper. The markers ONLY work on the color wonder paper, thus you don't find marks around everywhere in the house.

I have three kids, and my youngest (18 months old) has been the worst about wall scribbing, floor scribbling, ANYTHING scribbling offender, so these are really great for that.

Suzi
    http://photos.yahoo.com/suzi_q_johnson
    http://pages.ivillage.com/t_tapper_suzical/

Level

Thanks for the tips. I'm off now with a list of the items you mentioned and will see what strikes my fancy (I don't think I've ever used that phrase before <G&gt.

I'll be on the road and off the boards for a week, but keep the ideas coming for kids of all ages as holiday season is approaching.

Gratefully,

Mav

~Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

Level

It's probably too late to add this, but Fischer-Price makes a really cool toy that was always the favorite at our house for that age -- with visitors, too! I can't remember what it's called, but you'd know it when you see it. It's a kind of tower with a roller-coaster looking track that spirals down the outside of it. You put balls in the top and then it lights up, plays music, the balls roll down the ramp and then you watch to see which "spout" it comes out at the bottom. My kids have outgrown it, but we've saved it to bring out for visitors and I have to hold my 6 and 9 yo's back so the little guy can play it! (And I personally don't think the music is annoying)

-Moyne

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

Level

I went to the store and ended up buying a Fisher Price tea set. When I got home I checked the reviews on Amazon and think I made a good purchase. Kids from 15 months to 4 years old play happily with it, according to the reviewers.

So Rose Tapper, your suggestion was the one I went with. But I will need to buy future gifts and will keep a list of all your recommendations. I love seeing what kids actually like to play with.

Thanks again for your help, all.

Mav