Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teens with bad posture

Level

Default Teens with bad posture

My 15 year old daughter has very rounded shoulders, which she unfortunately got from my husband. I'm sorry that I did not pay more attention to this when she was younger, it's just becoming more noticeable now that she's gotten really into clothes and make-up etc., and I'd like so much for her to improve her posture.

She has been sporadically tapping for a few months, mainly BW+, and has agreed that I may remind her to "SLT" (our secret: shoulders, lats, tuck) whenever I remember. (Very sensitive years!) She refuses, however, to do hoedowns with a pile of books on her head

I am hoping that she will workout more, with attention to form, and help from me, and that these reminders will make a difference.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had this experience and had success with improving posture, also advice on how better to achieve this.

SOnja

Level

I'm a band teacher and I have students with TERRIBLE posture. I tell them, shoulders back! Don't slump you look like a slob, we can't have that (nicely.. I promise ). I tend to praise those with excellent posture, or I'll point out someone in the band and show the bad-posture people how much better it looks (say, holding the trombone up and horizontal versus diagonal with a cramped neck.) I stress posture saying it'll help backs, necks, etc.

Might not help too much, but I'm also shocked by the poor posture of teens.

Gretchen

Tappin in MO since June 2005 (purelyoverjoyed's twin sister )

Level

I am not offering any solutions, just my own thoughts about the whole subject. I've thought a lot about bad posture in teens and I wish more stood up tall. I think there are other issues that are sometimes at play. I slouched when I was a teen because I didn't want to be too tall (5'8" isn't really tall, but most of my friends where shorter) and I had more cleavage than my girl friends (today it seems to be the "in" thing to have cleavage as a teen). So I tried to hide both, I slouched! I think some of it has to do with not wanting to stand out or draw attention to themselves (me again) or not feeling equal to their peers (me yet again). The funny thing, though, is I think standing tall helps you feel prettier and more self-confident. It sort of turns into the "which comes first" question. I think if more teen had ttapp and learned to stand tall with shoulders back, maybe some of those esteem issues would also disappear.

Kim
    TTapp Trainer-in-Training
    Bay Area, CA

I finally got a "round tuit" [8D]

Level

Kim, you are so right! I have two gorgeous teen-aged granddaughters and they both stand with rounded shoulders. I really think they are self-conscious (one of them has a shape to die for!). I guess there's some comfort in knowing they're not sticking their chests out in everyone's face []but I do wish they'd stand up straight! However, I know that a gramma nagging won't help a bit. Sigh.

Gramma K.

www.daybreaklavenderfarm.com/KathyD

Level

Kim,

I'm absolutely with you there. I know that for my daughter pushing those tata's[8)] out is not so comfortable, (she's quite shy).

There's also the genetic factor, my husband has very droopy shoulders, and isn't able to pull them back when I encourage him to. Whether T-Tapp can correct that I don't know, he's 57. He's planning to start, but has not got "round tuit" yet.[V]

I just wonder whether, when my daughter gets over the "other" reasons for teen slouching, we can correct the slouch she was born with.

Gretchen, cool that you're a band teacher. That's my daughter's favorite pastime, she plays flute, bassoon, and has just started trombone. It doesn't help that the harness she wears for the bassoon drags her shoulders forward. ANy ideas?

SOnja

Level

This is a subject that my teen daughter and I have been discussing lately, so I know where you're coming from. I'm no band teacher, but my girls both participate in chorus. One of them is in showchoir so she has to sing and dance at the same time. So I can appreciate how deep breathing and lots of lung capacity can help them. Since band is your daughter's favorite pastime, I'm sure she'd want to do whatever she could to play better . . .like suggesting how standing tall with shoulders back would give her lungs more room to expand. She'd have more air to hit those notes. Just a thought. Good luck.

Michelle

Level

This is kinda long, but it's how I developed good posture.

There's this technique in theatre called Alexander technique that does amazing things for how we use our bodies. Actually, I've been taking lessons in it for the last several months to get rid of my carpal tunnel (which is now gone, yay!) and part of the reason I actually bought Teresa's book instead of shrugging it off as just another workout was what she had to say that was similar to Alexander technique in terms of back, posture, and balance.

I'm no expert, but one of the basic ideas with it is noticing the muscles that most people keep tensed throughout the day. For example, almost everyone sucks in their stomach. What can happen (and often does to teenage girls, because of the ways their bodies are changing and rebalancing) is that people end up not only sucking in their stomachs but tensing the muscles all up and down the front of their torsos. So when they try to push their shoulders back for good posture, they have to do more work than necessary to keep that posture going. It can make your back sore, and usually means you go back to slumping without thinking about it. It also means that certain muscles are getting more of a workout than others, so those others are much weaker in comparison.

What's been really neat for me is how T-Tapp and Alexander technique have been working so perfectly together. Alexander technique got my posture into decent shape, and T-Tapp has been strengthening those muscles in my back that I need in order to maintain good posture for longer.

Anyway. Hope that wasn't too long. I know there are books out there that can explain it better than I can.

G'luck with the posture issue!

-Diana

Level

Yes, I think she will be able to correct her posture later. In fact, I am 62, and finally getting mine corrected, thanks to T-tapp, and breast reduction surgery. I always turned my shoulders in, in an attempt to have less sticking out in front....guess I thought I could hide them!!! Ya, right.
    Well, when I tried to do T-tapp in 2000/2001, though I lost some weight and some inches, I was never able to get a flat back, or engage my lats. About 4 years ago I had breast reduction, and low and behold, with the results from that and T-tapp, I now have a nice long neck, as I am no longer all scrunched over. As my form gets better, I expect to see even more results.
    Bette

Level
    Blog Entries

One of the tips I use to teach my models while I was working in the fashion industry (and yes, they were the worst at slouching since they were all taller than 5'10"!)......tell you teen to "lift their ribs" instead of just telling them to stand up tall. I used to tell my teens to lift their ribs so they could get rid or prevent their lower belly from "pooching"....that lifting their ribs was just as effective as doing sit ups.

Trust me....most prefer to lift their ribs than do sit ups!

Teresa

Level

What is meant by 'lifting the ribs?'

Thanks in advance.

Laurie