Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder to Hip alignment

Level

Default Shoulder to Hip alignment

I've been trying to have the shoulders to hip aligned, looking at the mirror but I'm confused. On some of the tapes (I'm thinking the end of HTF I think for this instance, but it's on others), when Teresa turns to the side and says "Make sure you get that..TILT.", then with the butt tucked, the back looks like it's tilting BACK, and not aligned.

I've tried the wall thing, and I'm not sure I'm doing it right still. ?? I don't want to be going backwards, and I fear that might be what I'm doing.

Help?

Greta

Greta
    Off and on Tapper since 1999
    Consistently Tapping since June 2005

purelyoverjoyed's twin sister
    Twinsx2's daughter, and KariAna and faithlakies's niece)
    Certified IFPA Personal Trainer
    T-Tapp Trainer--Total Workout
    Southeast Missouri

gretchen@t-tapp.com
    www.ducksinarowfitness.com
    www.t-tapp.com/trainers/gretchenprobst

Level

Everything I've read here says to have shoulders aligned with hips.

My question is (and maybe I'm overthinking this): Does this mean shoulders aligned with hip bones? This makes me lean forward slightly. I've been focusing on keeping my back straight up and down, but I wonder if my idea of proper alignment is wrong. Teresa always says to lean back because short torsos tend to lean forward, but maybe I'm leaning back too much. I'm a combo body type by the way.

Any thoughts?

Level

Bump

Level

Hi Greta!

Here is a link to an article that should enlighten regarding all:

http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/healt...g2/default.htm

In particular, pay attention to the photographs. You will see that correct placement details alignment forms for the workout to have shoulders, hips, and knees aligned, which translates to a slightly diagonoal or backward-looking tilt. This is achieved through the tuck of tail and rotation of shoulders back into position, as opposed to pressing the ribcage to the front (common error).

When in class as far as Basic Stance, Plies, Balance, etc. go, I repeatedly instruct - after setting up the bend, tuck - shoulders BACK behind hips, which actually places the shoulder joint in alignment with the hip joint.

Try and see and let me know if any other questions! This placement, by the way, is a critical component to increasing your T-Tapp success! Do the best you can and work your way up.

Cheerily,
    Lani

Head T-Tapp Trainer, M.A.
    www.lanimuelrath.com
    http://p097.ezboard.com/bbodywisdombylani
    lani@t-tapp.com

Level

Gretchikin -

Can you be more specific on which move on which tape you are talking about - -your reference on HTF is not clear and doesn't ring any bells for me.

The wall thing you reference is typically on a standing move - plies to check and see if your butt is becoming untucked.

When we talk about shoulder and hip alignment - -we are talking about the shoulders in line with the hip bone. We want them sharing the same "plane of existence" if that makes sense.

Teresa speaks at great length about shoulder/hip alignment in the following newletter from the archives http://forum.t-tapp.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=945

The first few times I read this newsletter - it kind of scared me into thinking that if 3/8 of an inch was that crucial - - how would I ever get it right and be able to slim and sculpt my lower body. T didn't put that in to "scare" us into thinking it was impossible to achieve but rather to illustrate that something relatively minor and easy to focus on can MAXIMIZE our results if we pay attention!

Mindymp- It is true that certain body types are more prone to leaning forward or back but you need to really check YOUR personal body position with a mirror so that you don't over compensate and lean too far in the opposite direction.

Finding and engaging your lats (something Melynda shared on a similar thread) is crucial. If your lats are engaged than your shoulders will be in the proper position and they will work hand in hand to ensure that your shoulders are in the proper position now all we have to do is get the shoulders in line with the hips.

To help connect your shoulders and your hip - you may want to really think and incorporate the concept of lengthening your spine or lifting at the ribcage. What this means is if we just stand normal and then we stand a little taller by imagining there is a string on the top of our head and someone is pulling it straight up toward the ceiling we will stand taller with nicer posture. Same idea (stand tall) throughout the workout. There are different places throughout the workout as we get tired that we tend to collapse our ribcage.

Does that help at all?

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Ohio
    Karate Chopping Tapper
    cheryl@t-tapp.com
    http://www.t-tapp.com/trainers/cheryl/

Level

Great question, Greta! And Lani's answer, as usual, is right on the money!

Here is the link to the thread that Cheryl mentioned: http://forum.t-tapp.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44287

This is a great conversation to be having right now with all of our new T-Tapp friends!

Melynda Fitt
    TTapp Trainer, Northern VA

Be good, do good, and gosh darn it, smile once in a while!

Level

I'm glad I popped back on here - - I didn't even see Lani's awesome reply when I posted by initial comments! Great visuals in the link she provided!!

Mel - thanks for posting the link to the other thread that was similar in topic!

Cheryl Dodd
    T-Tapp Trainer, Ohio
    Karate Chopping Tapper
    cheryl@t-tapp.com
    http://www.t-tapp.com/trainers/cheryl/

Level

np Cheryl, and I have to agree with your thoughts about Lani's links and info! Good stuff, eh?

Melynda Fitt
    TTapp Trainer, Northern VA

Be good, do good, and gosh darn it, smile once in a while!

Level

Thanks, Lani! I noticed when I worked out yesterday (while I was watching myself in the mirror and checking my torso alignment) that it kinda felt like I was sitting a little. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but either way you've answered my question. Those pics help a lot.

Level

Thanks Lani, Cheryl and Melynda.

(The part I was thinking of on HTF is at the veerry end after cat stretches, you're rolling up and once you roll up she says, "Make sure you get that TILT" and you pump the arms behind you.)

I think I've been doing pretty good at it then. I knew it was important and all those links make me think... WOW, I'll be forever growing toward getting it within that 3/8" to be good, which is good cuz I'll always go toward my max and feel good doing it.

Seeing the pictures help. That's close to what I see in the mirror too. I like to workout looking in the mirror with the TV reflecting and copy Teresa's form the best I can, seeing her and me in the same plane.

Greta

Tappin in MO since June 2005 (purelyoverjoyed's twin sister )