Thread: Meet Your T.A. & Other Handy OIP tips

Level

Default Meet Your T.A. & Other Handy OIP tips

Hi TTapp Mommies! Here is a post from the general forums that I thought I would include here for you all--parts of it were in response to an email regarding diastasis rectis. Remember, don't do OIP if you are currently pregnant, you will have plenty of time to do it when you aren't!!! Give it a read through though because it has some info that will make the rest of your T-Tapp practice a little more effective.

Smooches to all of you!!!

Melynda

[u]Part One</u>
    I feel like I need to give a little anatomy lesson on what is going on inside. We all have three sets of abdominal muscles--the rectus abdominus, the obliques, and the transverse. The rectus abdominus is the outer most muscle and it runs up and down from the sternum to the pubic bones. It has two halves, known as recti, that are normally about a quarter of an inch apart and are joined together by a fibrous piece of tissue called the linegra alba. The linegra alba, or white line, is stretchy, kind of like a rubber band. The hormone that prepares a woman for labor by relaxing the joints and muscles also affects the linea alba and makes it stretch more easily. As the muscles separate, the linegra alba stretches sideways and becomes thinner, like a piece of plastic wrap covering your organs. This separation is called diastasis.

The other sets muscles, the internal and external obliques, are the middle layer of the abs. The obliques are the muscles that enable you to flex your trunk and turn from side to side. Since the obliques are attached to the recti, doing forward crossover oblique exercises will make the diastasis bigger so avoid cross-over situps while rehabbing your tummy!

Finally, the transverse muscle, (the innermost abdominal muscle) goes straight around the abdomen and back like a corset. It attaches to the bottom six ribs and the top of the muscle goes behind the recti and the bottom of the muscle goes in front of the recti. You will want to get to know your transverse muscle well--it will be come your best friend in the process of rehabbing your mummy tummy! More on that later though.

The transverse abdominus is the muscle that we use to push babies out, to get up, to lie down, and to support our backs. It is also the secret to developing a strong core and to rehabbing the tummy. The best part about working your transverse is that you are actually working at least four muscle groups at the same time!!! Talk about working smarter, not harder! Besides the transverse, you also work the recti in front, the lumbar multifidius (the deepest muscles in the back which cover the spinal column in your lower back), and the pelvic floor muscles such as the pubococcygeus.

Okay, so now we have a basic understanding of the transverse abdominus and why it is so important. Here is the really great news: every single TTapp move, whether standing or on the floor can work your transverse abs if you do it correctly!!! But first, you have to get in touch with it so you can learn how to contract it properly. Organs in Place/Half Frogs are the best exercise to help rehab the trans. abs., but before you learn that, here is something you can use effectively NOW, to help you get accustomed to recruiting it. This will help you fire it up for the entire TTapp workout, even when standing!

Meet your Transverse Abdominus:

1. Lie down on your back on a firm surface, knees bent, feet flat on floor, hips width apart.

2. Place a small folded towel under the small of your back, so that the natural curve through the lumbar region feels supported; it should feel comfortable.

3. Take in a deep breath, relaxing the belly open as you do so. Don't be shy, just let it all hang out. After all, no one is there to see you, and we are all friends, anyway! Now place your fingers just below your bellybutton and push in. Cough hard--did you feel that contraction under your fingers? That was your transverse abdominus! Do it several times if you have to too really get a feeling for it. After you have found it, don't worry about the hands anymo

Melynda Fitt
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dare to read, think, speak, and write. ~ John Adams

Level

[u]Part Two:</u>

Now that you have found your transverse abs, you can take it a step further when learning how to do OIP/HF. You are going to need a long scarf or a towel folded several times lengthwise for this.

Now, get in the same position as describe in Part 1 and perform all the steps. This time, don't place the small towel below your lower back. I want you to really learn what it feels like to press you lower back into the floor and keep it there at all times through the entire "Meet Your Trans Abs" and OIP/HF sequence.

Now take the scarf and wrap it around your hips and lower abs, crossing it over in the front, just below your belly button. You are going to use the ends to help pull the trans abs together, much like you did in Step 5 of Part 1.

Go through the Step 1-3 of the article http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/flatstomach/ , really concentrating on relaxing the belly open just prior to "moving" the organs up. On the fourth step, grab both ends of the scarf and pull the ends as you tighten the muscles underneath. The "cinching in" action of the scarf will help give you a visual on what is happening to your transverse abdominus and the place where the scarf crosses in the front just under your belly button is where you should concentrate on pulling your abs up and in towards. Release and repeat for another 8 counts. Now, do the 20 lifts, and every time you lift and tuck your butt (for the move my husband affectionately calls "Jane Fondas"), pull the scarf tight across your abs, and picture your trans abs following the same kind of movement.

Don't use the scarf every time, just until you regain the neurokinetic awareness of where, what, when, and how to tighten the muscles in the abs. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask! Hopefully my instructions were clear enough, but if not, I will try to clarify things.

Melynda Fitt
    TTapp Trainer, Northern VA

Be good, do good, and gosh darn it, smile once in a while!

Level

This post is fantastic Melynda. Definitely something I will be printing and saving for further use!

Have a great day!

**lauren**
    T-Tapp Staffer/ T-Tapper
    Questions? Contact me:
    1.877.TAPP.FIT
    Answering calls:
    9a - 5p Monday - Friday
    Most weekends too!
    lauren@t-tapp.com

Level

Great thread!!!!

Tamara,
    tapping in Tbilisi, Georgia

Level

bump

Michelle Barbuto - Senior T-Tapp Trainer
    Total Workout, MORE, Hit the Floor and Lady Bug certified

Updated website and training schedule www.fitwithsix.com
    Join me! November T-Tapp YOU online class
    Check out the new addition into my life!

Level

Thanks Michelle for bumping this and posting it at the top!

I have found this thread (and transverse ab work) very helpful post-partum. I printed it out and used it daily in the early weeks post-partum last time. I was so happy to discover that T-tapp workouts (all standing moves) safely strenghten this important "mommy muscle" even while pregnant. [:X] There are other people who have excellent teaching about rehabbing the "Mummy Tummy" and healing a diastasis BUT doing those exercises with T-tapp form and especially in the T-tapp stance with tucked butt makes them MUCH more effecient and effective (and it's also easier to "feel" the muscle using T-tapp form). It gets easier and easier to strengthen (and feel) your transverse abs when you do T-tapp which targets that muscle. Yay - T-tapp!

Thanks Melynda for your work on this post and for sharing your knowledge![8D]

<h4> Sara</h4><h5>Thankful for my Shepherd~Homeschooling, T-tapping Mom, Expecting our 8th Blessing in Feb 2008~
    "He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young." Isaiah 40:11</h5> T-tapp and Tappy Holidays Habits in action...See my recovery process from my seventh birth on Lani's website -Photos from 12 days post-partum to 9 months post-partum. ~ http://www.lanimuelrath.com/content/...tegory/63/133/ ~ I am really sold on T-tapp for functional, life-long fitness!

Level

Here is a related thread...
    http://forum.t-tapp.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65361

<h4> Sara</h4><h5>Thankful for my Shepherd~Homeschooling, T-tapping Mom, Expecting our 8th Blessing in Feb 2008~
    "He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young." Isaiah 40:11</h5> T-tapp and Tappy Holidays Habits in action...See my recovery process from my seventh birth on Lani's website -Photos from 12 days post-partum to 9 months post-partum. ~ http://www.lanimuelrath.com/content/...tegory/63/133/ ~ I am really sold on T-tapp for functional, life-long fitness!

Level

Sara, I just had to say that your sucess really encouraged me! I homeschool my four boys and I struggle with getting a little time to exercise... I always think that I am going to get in the big workout, but really only have time for the BWO+. I will just start with doing that everyday that I can! Thanks for the encouragement!
    Jen

Level

Hi Jen - I just found this post.

I'm glad I was able to encourage you - I know that I was inspired to be consistent with T-tapp after reading the success stories of others. BWO is such a good workout and I feel so good when I get it done. It's a great workout when pregnant.

Blessings on you and your new little one!

<h4> Sara</h4><h5>Thankful for my Shepherd~Homeschooling, T-tapping Mom of Eight Blessings~
    "He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young." Isaiah 40:11</h5>...See my recovery process from my seventh birth on Lani's website -Photos from 12 days post-partum to 9 months post-partum. ~http://www.lanimuelrath.com/content/...tegory/63/133/ ~Now post-partum with baby number Eight, working on repeating the process~ I am really sold on T-tapp for functional, life-long fitness!

Level

Ok, thanks for all the info. I have been reading and trying to find what is best for me to do. I know now I need to wait on HTF. My question is: When one has had 4 c-sections the old fashioned way-up and down, can this also be healed?

Thanks,
    Bev

A newbie looking to firm up so jello she has been carrying around too long.