Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why am I so clumsy?

Level

Default Why am I so clumsy?

I have never been called graceful, but I have gotten so clumsy lately that I am begining to worry. Not one day seems to go by without a small burn from cooking, a bruise from this or that or just plain dropping things. The worst has really hit me, though. Yesterday I was bringing garbage cans back into the house and dropped the lid, stepped on it wrong, fell into the culvert in my front yard and nearly broke my leg. I have a huge swollen bruise from my hip to my knee (swollen also) I hit BOTH my shoulders as well (can't imagine how that happened without knocking my teeth out.)and they are bruised and very sore. Now I look like I was in a fight. The kicker? This morning getting ready for work I stuck mascara in my eye and then sprayed my hair with deoderant.

Maybe I just need a vacation.

Winnie

I have lost so much weight over the years I should be hanging from a charm bracelet!...Erma Bombeck

Winnie

I have lost so much weight over the years I should be hanging from a charm bracelet!...Erma Bombeck

Level

Do you get enough sleep or are you under additional stress right now? Get some ice on that bruise!

Kirsten
    T-Tapp Trainer, Houston
    www.boxofpolkadots.com

Level

Kirsten, my husband has just bought out his partner (no stress there!) my son has dropped out of college, we had to put my Mother in a nursing home, my Father is 85 living by himself and not doing well (I live 1000 miles away from them) we are building a new house, I sleep about 2 hours at a time at night...

You may be on to something.

Winnie

Level

Winnie,
    Sounds like a checkup might be in order. From my experience with the clumsy thing, which ended up for me with a broken hand, I found my body was totally out of alignment from several falls and a mini car accident. When I went to Hippocrates Institute in W. Palm Beach, FL 2 years ago I was fortunate enough to be treated by a neuromuscular massage technician who totally turned everything around for me. I was so bound up that I was tripping a lot and the man said it was because of the traumas my body had experienced. Now I'm doing much better but am starting to feel like I need that again. It was difficult to find someone here in Kansas, but I finally did and it helps. However, everyone is different, so this may or may not be helpful to you. In any case, I shall pray for a break-through!
    Vicki

Level

Sleep Winnie, get more sleep. I get that way about once a month & know it's hormonally connected, I just feel stupid, like my brain isn't in gear w/my body...hormones...but, when I don't get enough, & that varies seasonally (less in summer, more in winter), my brain misfires...I'll hear x & repeat back y, or do a y instead of x, & know it's wrong but not snap fast enough. You're under stress, a lot of it, and you're managing it very well so it doesn't feel exceptionally difficult...but your energy body is on overdrive & it takes time to process change. Slow down, take a break when you feel a need, drink A LOT MORE WATER, as dehydration can mimic the stupids, I know bec. that's how I hurt my knee, I felt fine, had what I though was enough water, & blacked out on my bike in 88 degree weather... you may not be absorbing enough nutrients if you're hormonally off & sleep deprived. Our body heals & renews growth hormones & balances out workout changes during the early REM cycle. If you can't sleep longer, remember it is most effective to get to sleep 2 to 3 hours before midnight & wake up early, than go to bed later & wake up later.

Level

Good advice...and you may have hit it on the head about sleep. I go to bed around 10 every night and usually get up by 4:30 or 5:00. I am exhausted when I get up because I have either been up several times or have been sleepwalking. It is as if my brain cannot shut down at all. Then during the day I actually feel "off"...like my brain is a 1/2 second off from the rest of me. I guess that is why I am constantly knocking things over, misjudging and dropping stuff. Maybe I will try meditation or something like that before bed.

Winnie

Level

Try this: 5HTP, I think it comes in 30mg, whatever the Natrol or Wallyworld brand is, + 3 mg Melatonin + 50 mg Vit B-6, + 2-4 caps Alfalfa (if you're not allergic to it) + 1G evening primrose oil, & if you're hormonal, 1-2 Black Cohosh, & possibly a little progesterone cream. Herbal Sleepytime Tea, or Chamomile (don't overuse or it does the opposite). NO caffeine, coffee, green tea, black tea, decaf tea, heavy sugar after 4PM or sooner; add turkey, fish, light salads, stir-fried green vegies, lots of garlic has also a calming effect, sweet potatoes, & even if you're following Carol's GM/MM method to lose weight & she says no carbs after 2 PM, you might be one of those for whom some grainy carb type cereal or toast snack helps your brain chemistry calm down, esp. if you're running around w/kids, doing construction, something heavy. Don't workout late either bec. it revs up the metabolism for some folks. Me? I can often drink coffee late, workout late & still sleep. But not often. Also, if you're thinking too much, you might consider the EFT info, or do a bit of journal writing to get it out of your head. Lavendar pillows or sachets are calming as are ylang-ylang, cedar, neroli, rose & lemonbalm herbs & essential oils. If you have any allergies for which you're taking OTC's, some have caffeine in them to help the uptake in the body, but they're gonna keep you up also. My favorite dinner is actually breakfast, but a big meal late may keep you awake as the energy is going into digesting, though, if you eat bigger earlier in the day, rather than smaller meals throughout the day, that may make you sleepy by mid-afternoon. It can take some experimentation to get it to work for you so you might consider keeping a log of what you're doing & track some patterns over a 3-4 week period. If you are adrenally exhausted, look into the Fat Flush Plan by Anne-Louise Gittleman for spring cleaning. Or, www.sandracabot.com for an obstetrical/gynocological approach.

Level

S..L..O..W.........D...O...W....N...

I am the type of person who does everything fast...I move fast, I think fast, I get things done fast and I multi-task fast (say that three times in a row!). Usually it's not a problem. However, when I am under a huge amount of stress (and not sleeping well) there seems to be so much to do and so little time, so I hurry up even more...then everything suffers.

I suggest, along with getting more sleep, that you MAKE YOURSELF physically slow down when you start getting "clumsy." Be very deliberate...even talk yourself thru certain activities...or hum a slow song....it helps.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 48 and I've noticed that with age, I tend to be a little more clumsy in general Maybe it's just that my body isn't working as fast as my brain....

¸.•´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ...¸.•´....•´¨¨))
    ..((¸¸.•´ ..•´
    ..-:¦:- ((¸¸.•-:¦:- Aloha, Ms.O -:¦:-

Level

EFT 1-Minute News

Many Sleep Problems Respond
    To Treatment With EFT

Sleep –– how to get enough of it and how to get the right kind of it… these are universal concerns that can often be helped by the strategic use of EFT. Oddly enough though most of us never think of using EFT to help us get to sleep when we lie awake, turning and tossing in the night. Why is this?
    I have been interested in the subtleties of EFT as applied to sleep problems for quite some time, and I have came across an interesting fact. I find that on a deep fundamental level most people don't want to go to sleep when they lie awake in the middle of the night, and so, of course, they don’t want to use EFT for that purpose..

There is a conflict at work in us when this happens. Our logic tells us that we need a certain number of hours sleep tonight so that we can be at our best tomorrow when whatever we fear will happen is going to happen. But -- -- and this is important -- -- our body and emotions are saying something quite different and it is their messages that EFT must address.

This is why a direct confrontation with sleeplessness in an EFT statement often doesn't work. Suppose for example a sleepless person were to say to him/herself;:

"Even though I'm wide awake, I choose to go to sleep easily.".

On the surface this looks like a sensible EST choice, doesn't it?

But it isn't. The reason for this is that the primitive centers of our brain perceive sleep as a DANGER whenever there is a problem to be solved.

The fact is that we are hard-wired to be on the lookout for possible danger during the night or we would not have survived as a species. We are programmed to forego sleep entirely if necessary, for the sake of our survival.

The problem we face today of course is that our original Operating System, the programming that helped us survive as a species for millennia, hasn't been updated since those nightly dangers we faced were Saber Toothed tigers lurking outside our caves.

Today we have many other types of perceived DANGER, however, that ring alarm bells and tell us to "STAY AWAKE SO YOU CAN TAKE CARE OF THIS!”. Today the stimulus that sets off the orientation (alerting) response can be a financial concern, health problem, upcoming confrontation, family issues or a host of other things. Not really life and death issues, but in each one of us, such modern concerns can activate our primitive survival instincts just as strongly as if they were, and the alerting mechanism swings into action.

The fact is that when we are worried about something, or in any way excited about something that is going to happen, our body and emotions are convinced that we need to any STAY AWAKE to save our lives. It is only the more recent modern portions of our brains (not as all inclusive as we think by the way) that tell us to "sensibly” go back to sleep for this or that logical reason.

How does this affect our reactions to an EFT statement that directs us to go to sleep? Or one that tells us to "deeply and profoundly accept ourselves” and thereby by implication accept our wakefulness? Actually such a statement does sometimes work, if the EFT calms us down enough so that the inner conflict –– which is " “Stay alert to prepare for future dangers" vs. "Sleep and you will be safer in the future” is thereby resolved in the direction of relaxation and rest.

But in the majority of instances I have noticed that it is best for EFT to “sneak up on the problem”, so to speak, in order to put our vigilant primitive brain at ease. It needs to let us know somehow that we will cope better with the Saber Toothed Tiger if we are more wide awake and efficient when we confront him the next day! Gary Craig would say that here we need to cope with the "tail enders (secret objections to the statement) that are undermining our EFT statement -- I would agree.

The problem is that EFT has to address our hard-wired resistance to sleeping when there is a problem to be solved – rememb

Level

You guys are so great. Thank you for taking the time to care and offer such great advice. I am going to really try all these suggestions and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Winnie