No announcement yet.

GAPS Diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanted to chime in on this thread. I do a lot of GAPS and paleo style cooking and everything I do is GFCF, although I'm not currently working on gut healing. I was wrapping up my gut healing as Dr. McBride was releasing her book. I healed all of my food allergies without having to do a GAPS or SCD protocol. You can read my whole story here- http://www.cookingtf.com/2011/06/13/kerryanns-story/ I went through celiac, severe wasting, adrenal fatigue and heavy metal poisoning. I dropped 60 pounds in ten weeks at my worst, I was so sick. I healed using massive doses of probiotics and probiotic foods, L-glutamine, digestive enzymes, pascalite clay and others. I'm currently blogging through the whole protocol that I did. I also got off of all of my food allergens, even in trace amounts. After 6 months I was back on all of them except gluten and dairy. Dairy took about 2 years and I still avoid it now. I'm off gluten permanently and will remain off of it because I carry the celiac gene and I don't feel like all of the evidence is in yet as to whether or not it is safe. And I'm perfectly OK with that.

I need to get the GAPS book to make sure I have straight what is and isn't allowed on GAPS so I can correctly label all of the recipes on my blog, Menu Mailer and website. I've got hundreds of recipes, literally, so I need to be able to classify them all once we debut the new website later in the year.

KerryAnn
    www.cookingTF.com

Tapping on and off since 2005, now back on for good!

Comment

• KerryAnn,

Thank you for sharing your story! Very interesting. I've been following your blog for a while now, but I guess I've never seen your story. I'm still in the throws of trying to become symptom free (hence me following this thread!) I'm also following your boot camp. )

Blessings,
      Wendy

Former T-Tapp Success Story...Lost over 52 inches and over 20 lbs 5 years ago.
      Fell off the bandwagon due to personal and health reasons (at least I let those become my excuses.) Medications have helped me gain weight rapidly.
      Update: As of 1/10/15 I have gained all my weight and inches back. Keeping it real. I am choosing now to regain my life back.

Comment

• Nice to meet you, Wendy! :waves:

I'm staying on my traditional foods diet as usual through bootcamp, as I'm not trying to loose weight but rather build endurance and tone. So I'm eating lots and I'm already seeing inch-loss and it's only day four.

I'm working on coming up with more GAPS-style meals and baked goods, because I don't want to take in too many carbs since I did have PCOS and insulin resistance at one time. I'm going to spend some time this weekend with my thinking cap on, in the kitchen.

KerryAnn
        www.cookingTF.com

Comment

• Wow Kerry Ann! I just read the link you posted!

Many on the YahooGroups GAPS list that have healed or are well on their way say the same thing--they don't even want to go back to gluten!

I have to say I am feeling the same! I "cheated" with the roll from Texas Roadhouse 5 weeks ago and when it hit my actual gut, it was NOT happy! And I didn't think I had that many problems in my gut. I had even gone gluten free and not noticed as much difference as I have since starting GAPS.

I'll be reading your blog to see what all you did. I did a dumb thing over the past few weeks--I was running low on my compounded thyroid, so I took it every other day, then ran out for 4 days before getting my refill. I am paying for it these past few days! I have adrenal fatigue, too, and am trying to find the best way to heal myself. Interesting about the problems with supplementing with iodine for thyroid--I didn't know about that! Here I was going to work on that as well!

Glad to have you on board, and thank you for sharing your story!

And may I give you BIG HUGS for your losses? Been there myself.

HUGS!

~ .. )) -::-
          . .))
          ((. .. Trisch -::-
          -::- ((.*

Blessed Mama of 9 (and 14 in Heaven)
          Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug
          (Thank you, Mom and Dad!)
          ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

From a 22W to a 6!
          My Testimonial Tuesday

"Don't let another priceless moment slip through your fingers because
          you are 'too busy'. While you have the time, take the time."
          ~Crystal Paine~

Comment

• My symptoms from gluten have changed drastically over time. It's pretty amazing. When I fist got sick, a trace exposure would leave me flat on my back for up to 6 weeks. Now, I know it's happened but the affects are subtle and mostly with my balance, vision and I get strong ear tones. I had a major glutening a while back and it didn't really knock me out. I can still function and stay up and going as long as I don't try to move too fast so I don't get dizzy.

I no longer get any symptoms from dairy- except swelling. Not bloating, I don't feel bloated, I feel totally normal. I just blow up like a balloon. Overnight I went from a size 6 to a 12 just from a little dairy. So I avoid it now. lol! And diuretic herbs don't take it off, it comes off gradually over a period of days. It's crazy. The first time I realized it, I ate just a little sour cream at dinner on Saturday night. I thought I was in the clear since I didn't feel sick. Sunday morning, not one thing I owned fit. I stood in front of my closet and went through everything, trying so hard to find something so I could go to church. I sat down and cried, then grabbed some of my husband's clothes to wear around the house until I could fit in my own again. I tried it again two more times later and had the same thing happen, so I know it wasn't just a fluke or something else causing it.

KerryAnn
            www.cookingTF.com

Comment

• Some questions...

Okay, so I'm to the point where I usually give up! I sure could use some testimonies of specific positive results you've seen from GAPS to help me not give up! The boys are doing pretty well, but I feel awful. I woke up with vertigo and nausea. My skin is itching terribly. I think I am a bit dehydrated due to nursing and these horribly high temps. We are at 110+ with high humidity. On the positive side, my cravings have already significantly subsided. Normally I'm always hungry. We are doing full GAPS right now. I decided we'd better ease into it.

What types of ferments are okay on GAPS? I know well-cultured yogurt is and sauerkraut too. What about other cultured veggies, kefir, etc.

I have some good tomatoes and could probably do some fermented salsa. Anyone have a good recipe?

Is joint pain a sign of food allergies/wheat intolerance? I suspect I have an intolerance to wheat. I get sick to my stomach when I eat it, and I have been having terrible joint pain, especially in my hip joints. i also have a lot of muscle aches in general and brain fog as well. I also cannot eat legumes without getting very sick to my stomach, even when I soak, even when I sprout for 2 days and follow all the rules!

Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited by mamashortcake; 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• YES. Joint pain is most definitely a sign of wheat/gluten allergy/intolerance. I personally have it. Everything you're describing is symptoms I have with exposure to gluten.

If beans also cause the problems, it is possible you're allergic to lectins. It's a food chemical allergy.

KerryAnn
                www.cookingTF.com

Comment

• KerryAnn, is there a place on your blog or in the forums where you share your protocol? I tried to look around, but I may have just missed it.

I'm specifically interested in the thyroid/adrenal healing aspects. I was just about to start taking iodine to help with my thyroid but I think it was on your blog where I read that can be not always the best thing! I'm getting ready to order some herbs/supplements to help and don't want to be shooting myself in the foot while trying to help myself!

So much to figure out! My head hurts sometimes......

. .))

Master T-Tapp Trainer in Northern Indiana, certified in TWO, MORE, HTF, Senior Fit and LadyBug

From a 22W to a 6!
                  My Testimonial Tuesday

~Crystal Paine~

Comment

• Beans just cause extreme bloating and painful gas, no matter how I prepare them. Actually canned ones cause the least amount of distress, but still some nonetheless. My oldest son is allergic to peanuts (anaphylactic) and soy along with a bunch of other things, but I have wondered if there is a connection between his severe allergy to several legumes and my intolerance to them. Or maybe it's just my seriously messed up, leaky gut. I grew up eating total junk - as much sugar as we could eat. Also every time we got sick my mom gave us antibiotics (she has access to them b/c she worked for a doctor). She didn't even always make us take them for the "full course" as you are supposed to. I was also on birth control pills for about 2 years to control menstrual problems that I had. UGH...WHY DO THEY GIVE YOUNG WOMEN (or any women) THAT STUFF??? I wish I had known what that stuff does (both from a health standpoint and a moral one), but nothing to be done about it now but to heal the damage. Really it's a wonder I'm not much sicker than I am. I am just thankful that I have the knowledge and resources to try to get better and help my family.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlessedMama View Post
                      KerryAnn, is there a place on your blog or in the forums where you share your protocol? I tried to look around, but I may have just missed it.

I'm specifically interested in the thyroid/adrenal healing aspects. I was just about to start taking iodine to help with my thyroid but I think it was on your blog where I read that can be not always the best thing! I'm getting ready to order some herbs/supplements to help and don't want to be shooting myself in the foot while trying to help myself!

So much to figure out! My head hurts sometimes......
                      I'm blogging through the protocol I used. Here's all of the posts- http://www.cookingtf.com/category/series/gut-health/ Over the next month, the rest of the series will go up.

It is all a big puzzle and you have to figure it out. It can be stressful and daunting, but it feels so good once you get the right pieces to the puzzle and watch it come together. My journey began just over 5 years ago, when I became desperately ill and dropped 60 pounds in 10 weeks from the onset of celiac.

KerryAnn
                      www.cookingTF.com

Comment

• Originally posted by mamashortcake View Post
                        Beans just cause extreme bloating and painful gas, no matter how I prepare them. Actually canned ones cause the least amount of distress, but still some nonetheless. My oldest son is allergic to peanuts (anaphylactic) and soy along with a bunch of other things, but I have wondered if there is a connection between his severe allergy to several legumes and my intolerance to them. Or maybe it's just my seriously messed up, leaky gut. I grew up eating total junk - as much sugar as we could eat. Also every time we got sick my mom gave us antibiotics (she has access to them b/c she worked for a doctor). She didn't even always make us take them for the "full course" as you are supposed to. I was also on birth control pills for about 2 years to control menstrual problems that I had. UGH...WHY DO THEY GIVE YOUNG WOMEN (or any women) THAT STUFF??? I wish I had known what that stuff does (both from a health standpoint and a moral one), but nothing to be done about it now but to heal the damage. Really it's a wonder I'm not much sicker than I am. I am just thankful that I have the knowledge and resources to try to get better and help my family.
                        Here's where you can learn more about lectins. http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

KerryAnn
                        www.cookingTF.com

Comment

• Thanks KerryAnn!

That's very interesting info. Definitely encouraging me to stay the course even though it's hard. Dh is in full support and is not a picky eater so that's good.

I will have to say I change my mind about the boys doing well. EEK - crankiness and fighting abounds. I had to break out the Scripture songs and cuddles, oh and let them desecrate (I mean play with) a pack of post its.

I think I have known for a long time that I had these issues, i just didn't want to believe it. I just kept thinking, "I'm not sick, I'm just being lazy, etc." I am excited to work through it though! I discovered I like drinking broth. The ferments are going to be though though. I hate sour or bitter things. I have a SERIOUSLY bad sweet tooth. Over the years I have tamed it some, but it has a long way to go to be subdued as it needs to be. I really feel like food is such an idol in my life, when I first started GAPS I couldn't decide if God was trying to get rid of my food idol by having me give up so much (on GAPS) or if I was just creating a new idol by doing GAPS, SIGH some days I just wish we didn't have to eat!

Comment

• mamashortcake, I can totally relate to your last statement!

It is hard to keep it in balance, but after nearly 3 months on it, I really believe it's been the best thing for our family!

And I know, just like T-Tapp, it's not a step up, plateau, step up, repeat....it's more like come up a little, back a few steps (or a lot!), up a bit more....if you have time you might want to join the GAPS list on Yahoo groups. There's a LOT of traffic but I just get the digest and respond or ask questions when I need to. I feel like I've learned so much from everyone there, and it reminds me so much of the T-Tapp forums--everyone sooo very helpful and patient! Plus you will read many stories of how others did it.

Also, if you haven't found Starlene's blog, she has podcasts where she interviews different ones--including Dr. Natasha herself (blog talk radio, in the upper right hand corner):

http://gapsdietjourney.com/

Sometimes it just helps to know others understand!

And as a nursing mama, (you are, right?) you need to be on Full GAPS anyway, so you are doing fine!

. .))

From a 22W to a 6!
                            My Testimonial Tuesday

~Crystal Paine~

Comment

• Originally posted by mamashortcake View Post
                              Thanks KerryAnn!

That's very interesting info. Definitely encouraging me to stay the course even though it's hard. Dh is in full support and is not a picky eater so that's good.

I will have to say I change my mind about the boys doing well. EEK - crankiness and fighting abounds. I had to break out the Scripture songs and cuddles, oh and let them desecrate (I mean play with) a pack of post its.

I think I have known for a long time that I had these issues, i just didn't want to believe it. I just kept thinking, "I'm not sick, I'm just being lazy, etc." I am excited to work through it though! I discovered I like drinking broth. The ferments are going to be though though. I hate sour or bitter things. I have a SERIOUSLY bad sweet tooth. Over the years I have tamed it some, but it has a long way to go to be subdued as it needs to be. I really feel like food is such an idol in my life, when I first started GAPS I couldn't decide if God was trying to get rid of my food idol by having me give up so much (on GAPS) or if I was just creating a new idol by doing GAPS, SIGH some days I just wish we didn't have to eat!
                              Hugs, honey. I've been there, done that. There were many days when I was at my worst that it was easier to just not eat.

I also had a hard time with the 'I can't be sick"s. It was one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever been through. Especially since my two were 1.5 and 3.5 when I got sick.

KerryAnn
                              www.cookingTF.com

Comment

• Which GAPS list is it? I see several at yahoo.

Comment

Working...
                                X