Quinoa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quinoa

I have heard so much about quinoa and how good it is for us. I finally made some last night and it was delicious. It was also very filling and satisfying - but I did make waaay too much! Next time I will know better. Here is what I did......

Chopped up one yellow pepper, one orange pepper, two small onions and sauteed in olive oil. Added about seven cloves of fresh minced garlic.

At the same time the veggies were cooking, brought 2 cups (way too much!) quinoa to boil in 4 cups chicken broth. Turned down and simmered for around 15 minutes.

Mixed veggies, Cavenders seasoning, and 1 can Italian diced tomatoes into quinoa - topped with feta cheese. Very good AND filling AND healthy!! Bon Appetit!!!

susanc

ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

I always make more than I need and freeze the leftovers. So convenient when I need a quick side.

Peggy
    T1/T4

Started T-Tapp in July 2010 after searching for a good strengthening/stretching/flexibility workout. I think I found it!

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."

Comment

Sounds great! Mmmmmm. . . I can almost smell it!

- Shari

Comment

Yes, freeze it. And eat with fruit and stuff on it for breakfast. It has high protein. Will hold you much longer than oatmeal which I have to add hemp to.
        Nancy

Started T-Tapp 7/07
        Size 12-14 when I started, now size 10!
        "I can do all through Christ who strengthens me." Phil. 4:13

Comment

Where do you get hemp and what is it ? I tried Quinoa the first time and did not like it , I cooked it in water and added nothing to it ( treated it just like rice ).. But I tried it again and just sprinkled land o lake powder butter on and I love it ! The first time I made it I cooked to much also but didn't think I could freeze it ( thats so great to know , since its expensive ! ).. I will try the new recipe since it sounds wonderful, I bought a quinoa pasta and then read the label (LOL ) It has corn mostly !

wanda chafin

Comment

Yep, it's great stuff.
            I also cook it similar to oatmeal. Cook in coconut milk (So Delicious is the brand I use), a pinch of salt, frozen mixed berries and simmer till milk is absorbed, Drizzle with a little maple syrup. Love it!

My son likes it as a side salad. Cook your grain measurement. Make dressing with minced red onion or shallots, minced garlic, olive oil, lime juice, fresh cilantro, chopped grape tomatoes, black beans(rinsed and drained, if canned). toss together with a little feta cheese.

Heather M. in the Pacific Northwest
            T-Tapper since May 2009

Comment

I too, love quinoa. We discovered it about 2 months ago. I love that it is gluten free. It really has no flavor of its own but picks up the flavors of whatever you cook it in - sweet or savory. All the recipes that you have shared sound delicious! Tomorrow I am making stuffed peppers with quinoa. Can't wait to try it.

Blessings,
              Wendy

Former T-Tapp Success Story...Lost over 52 inches and over 20 lbs 5 years ago.
              Fell off the bandwagon due to personal and health reasons (at least I let those become my excuses.) Medications have helped me gain weight rapidly.
              Update: As of 1/10/15 I have gained all my weight and inches back. Keeping it real. I am choosing now to regain my life back.

Comment

I love quinoa too !!
                it is great as a oatmeal substitute, with coconut butter, cinnamon and some agarve syrup
                I also have used it sucessflly to make Taboulé( chopped onions, tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and fresh mint )
                and sprouted it to put in salads
                Also nice added to vegetable stews to make them more filling !!!

You can use Millet and Amaranth in the same ways, both also delicious and with lots of nutrional value

xxxx

Tapping for and in Spain
                since 2010 , only lost inches and weight...above that GAINED sooo much more :-)
                Auntie to 2 lovely girls and a teenage boy ( oh boy) and owned by a very special Maine Coon tom cat..

Comment

Hemp is great..
                  you get hemp Oil, Protein and the seeds( shelled and un-shelled)..best to do a search on it , because there is a lot of information, and I am not sure if I can post it here ??
                  I just made a search and you can buy it in the states..www.healing-source.com has got some good info..
                  I love the oil in salad, the seeds in salads or sprinkled over my curries and soups to get some protein ( I am vegetarian)
                  I also often use the seeds to make myself a quick milk , to drink it staright or add some chia seeds, cinnamon and honey to leave overnight for a nice GM breakfast..
                  Apart from that clothes made from organic hemp fabric are a lot mor friendlier to mother earth than for example cotton...

Tapping for and in Spain
                  since 2010 , only lost inches and weight...above that GAINED sooo much more :-)
                  Auntie to 2 lovely girls and a teenage boy ( oh boy) and owned by a very special Maine Coon tom cat..

Comment

Really, I thought cotton was it..I love the sound of the recipes and so happy to know that I can have a whole protein for breakfast w/o adding something else. I have some inca red quinoa but so far have not tried it, you guys say its filling but when I had it I didn't find that to be true..How much of a serving size are we talking , Or do you just follow the serv size on the package ? Ingredients on elbow quinoa package : organic corn flour, organic quinoa flour >>in that order....Beens btw your are so cute , from spain . But how do you sprout to make the salads ( should I do a search on that ?)
                    Nancy, when you freeze it how do you do that, what kind of containers and do you portion it ? Thanks, just picking your guys brains ha..which is a good thing to do for sure !

Last edited by wandachafin; 03-02-2011, 01:11 PM.
                    wanda chafin

Comment

Wanda, not your qunioa pasta, it is mostly corn flour, that might be higher in GI and lack of fiber, corn flour is more than quinoa. I am not sure if they removed the fiber from the quinoa, what is the fiber per serving on the box?

Filling, we are talking about the real quinoa, that you will cook in your new rice cooker, the grain with the full fiber and protein... Chicken stock, or curry powder, assorted mixed vegetables, even frozen, add some good oil, it is a filling size dish.

Ordered More and TWO on 7/7/2010, Started tapping on 7/30/2010.
                      2011 30 Day Challenge Less to Lose Category Winner.
                      2012 60 Day Challenge Trainer/TnT Category Winner.
                      2014 60 Day Challenge Trainer/TnT Category Winner.
                      2015 60 Day Challenge Trainer/TnT Category Winner.
                      ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
                      T-Tapp Trainer in Training

Comment

Wanda, I'm only storing portions for one, so I scoop about a half cup of quinoa, or quinoa/rice mix into a snack sized sandwich bag, seal it, kind of flatten it a bit, and stack a few bags to freeze. When i want a quick side dish I take one out, put it in a pan, add from frozen mixed veggies and some liquid aminos (soy sauce replacement) and heat it all through.

Peggy
                        T1/T4

Started T-Tapp in July 2010 after searching for a good strengthening/stretching/flexibility workout. I think I found it!

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Comment

I just love quinoa! I've been getting 4 lb. bags of organic quinoa from Costco. I eat it for breakfast quite frequently, topping it with coconut milk, raspberry apple sauce and raisins. I've never served it as a side dish with a meal, though, as my family won't eat it. Maybe if I try some of your yummy recipes, they will change their minds!

Former home-schooling mom of two now adult children. Started doing T-Tapp in the Fall of 2007. Have lost 41 inches and and more than 30 lbs. My heartfelt thanks to Teresa. She's the absolute best!

Comment

Adrianne, try mixing some with brown rice... it's not as noticeably "different" that way. You could even add, say, a third or fourth as much quinoa as rice.

Peggy
                            T1/T4

Comment

Originally posted by wandachafin View Post
                              Really, I thought cotton was it..I love the sound of the recipes and so happy to know that I can have a whole protein for breakfast w/o adding something else. I have some inca red quinoa but so far have not tried it, you guys say its filling but when I had it I didn't find that to be true..How much of a serving size are we talking , Or do you just follow the serv size on the package ? Ingredients on elbow quinoa package : organic corn flour, organic quinoa flour >>in that order....Beens btw your are so cute , from spain . But how do you sprout to make the salads ( should I do a search on that ?)
                              Nancy, when you freeze it how do you do that, what kind of containers and do you portion it ? Thanks, just picking your guys brains ha..which is a good thing to do for sure !
                              Wanda, I just put it in a plastic container and break part of it off (might have to thaw a tiny bit in microwave) and put it in a bowl. Warm it up and put milk, fruit, the hemp (Bob's Red Mill has it now) nuts and whatever else I feel like. The serving size is probably about 1/2 cup.

Nancy

Started T-Tapp 7/07
                              Size 12-14 when I started, now size 10!
                              "I can do all through Christ who strengthens me." Phil. 4:13

Comment

Working...
                              X