Dr Fuhrman or Dr Mercola?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Fuhrman or Dr Mercola?

I've been looking into each of their websites/books, and am very intrigued..DH and I both need to lose weight and have high cholesterol. He's on meds for his blood pressure too.

I'm looking for opinions from anyone who's used either one of their programs, were they easy to follow? Lots of supplements to buy? Good results? Any feedback would be great, I'm on a limited budget and can't really get both!
    Thanks
    Carrie

I would suggest Dr. Young at phmiracleliving.com.

DEBBIESCH

DEBBIESCH

Comment

I love Mercola's newsletters. You can do a search for info on the diet on his site. I think you have to look at what you are willing to do and see which one fits you, your life style and belief system. Mercola is for the most part grain free with minimal supplements. I do take his Krill oil as it keeps me from having mood swings.

Wendy

You can learn something from everyone you meet. Just listen...

Wendy

You can learn something from everyone you meet. Just listen...

Comment

Go to your local lib. and check out Dr. Fuhrman's book Eat to Live. This way you can read his work and make the decision if this is a way you can eat. I found the book full of great information. With 5 others in my family to feed I found it too difficult to follow. We eat mostly GM and for now I'm happy with this.
        Renee

Eating real foods is not too difficult. Check this thread for lots of ideas:

http://t-tapp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7715

Comment

I've done Fuhrman's Eat to Live, but it's very hard to keep up with processing all of the veggies. I found it rather expensive and time consuming, not to mention tasteless, but I did lose weight before I lost interest. [xx(]

FYI - my cholesterol and tryglicerides dropped exceptionally low after 6 weeks of low carb, which I did find easy to follow. I also lost weight on low carb.

As for Fuhrman and Mercola, I get both of thier newsletters. Neither of them looks terribly healthy to me in thier more recent photos - but that could be a matter of personal preference. All of thier web site photo's look like they've been retouched. [B)] Dr. Young (PhMiracle) does look healthy to me, and my brother had good success with his plan.

PS - why are all of these guys going bald??? [}][}]

Comment

Isn't baldness genetic? I was always told that the gene is carried by the Mother, so however your Mom's dad hair was, so will your sons?

My poor son, my Dad had receeding hair really young, never went completely bald but not far from it either.

Mary Ann

Comment

Dr. Mercola has claimed that had he given up grains earlier he would still have his hair.

I like Dr. Mercola's newsletters, I find them very informative and I have his book as well. Raising a large family though, I'm not willing to give up grains. I've read Nourishing Traditions and try to make my grains as healthy as we can based on the soaking methods. I've not read the ETL info though.

For me, it comes down to practicality (is that a word?). I'm a busy mom, raising and homeschooling six kids, I run a homebased business as well. Our choices in food have to be 1)healthy, 2)affordable, 3)somewhat simple to make, and 4)something that I can get my husband and six little kids to be willing to eat. I don't have time to spend all day shopping, prepping, cooking, or coaxing my kids into eating it.

I second trying the library for the books - even if you don't have time to read them both from cover to cover, you could skim them to see if you like one over the other and get a basic idea of what each might require.

Best wishes,
              Debbi

Blessed mom of six homeschoolin' kiddos

Debbi
              Blessed homeschoolin' mama to seven busy, adventurous kiddos.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure if I want to totally give up grains either. I get Dr Mercola's newsletter and think it's good, I'm just not sure what to do. DH and I both need to lose weight for our health, plus I graduate in May and am determined to be a lot thinner by then. We've tried low carb before and it did not work well, especially for me. I'm just having a hard time trying to find ways to eat better that actually tastes pretty good. Any good cookbooks out there??

Comment

You might want to look into Jordan Ruben's book, The Maker's Diet. He's very religious, but it is a helpful book whether you are religious or not. His story is scary but inspiring towards God-made eating.

Comment

I've followed ETL for over a year and I love it. It did take some getting used to at first, but there are so many recipes, salad ideas, and stuff out there. After the first few weeks I actually found it quite easy (and yummy) to follow. We found our grocery bill actually went DOWN quite a bit when we started buying more produce and less of all the other junk. You don't have to give up grains completely, just limit them. And you can make your own adjustments to the plan especially after the first 6 weeks. I never had a problem processing all the produce. In fact, I could definitely tell when I deviated from the plan too much, because everything went through so much easier when I stuck with it. I'm pregnant now so I'm just doing the best I can with it (you know those cravings!), but it has done me a world of good. Besides losing about 40 pounds, my eyesight actually improved, my food allergies disappeared within weeks, my energy level went way up, and I've just felt better. I've never had a problem with blood pressure or cholesterol anyway, but both still went down, along with a significant rise in HDL.

Meredith--Down from a 14 to a 6!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Sweat may be gross, Sweat may be stinky... But I'd better keep Tappin' or I'll look like a Twinkie!!

Just tuck it, okay?

Meredith

Comment

quote:Originally posted by crazygirl

Any feedback would be great, I'm on a limited budget and can't really get both!
                      If you're on a limited budget, I would recommend not buying either book, but checking out one of the old (1973) books on the Atkins diet, which if it's not in the library, may be mouldering away in a used book store (I got mine for fifty cents). The original diet is about 90% GM foods, unlike the newer editions of his book which allow MM crap like soy flour and other processed junk to replace grains.

The original diet is extremely strict, and when I followed it I lost too much weight too fast, so beware. If you follow it and start to lose too much, start eating a lot more vegetables. I look at the original Atkins diet as basically a meat, fat and vegetable fast.

Now, I didn't go on this diet on a whim. I had a lot of friends who had been on it for years, while also following the principles of "Nourishing Traditions," a book based on the nutrition research of Weston Price. I heard/read about it for a long time, but stayed on the fence.

Last December, I was heavier than I liked, and after a visit to the doctor's office found out that my blood pressure was 170/100, when it's usually been 100/75. That really shocked me, so I decided to try Atkins, since one of the things it does well is lower blood pressure. What's interesting is that right away I lost a lot of inches from my waist, hips and bust (yes, a little), but lost only about 8 pounds from the scales! I guess 8 pounds of "water weight" (which is what critics say the low-carb weight loss is mainly) takes up a lot of room on your body.

People think you just eat a lot of meat and fat, but that's just a myth. You do in the beginning, but you are supposed to gradually start to incorporate different foods after the Induction period. You start with eating more vegetables and nuts. If you don't gain weight and/or feel healthy, you can experiment and try to add some grains back into your diet, and see how you do. I find that after a year of doing the diet, I can add about 1/2 to 1 cup of whole grains a day to every other day. Last year I was wearing almost a size 14 pants, today I'm wearing a size 10, loosely.

Oh, and my blood pressure went back to its low state right away, where it remains today.

Comment

I would just read each one and decide what would fit your lifestyle the best and your budget. The Atkins diet is one that should only be followed if your an O blood type, if your not it could do damage if your on it for a long period of time, at least that is what I have read from several docs (mercola,furhman ect.) I eat alot of live foods and very little cooked food and I seem to be my healthiest doing that. But, everyone is different so do some research Good Luck

Mona Lisa

"God created teenagers to punish us so we would know what it felt like to have someone created in our own image that denied our existance"

Mona Lisa

\"God created teenagers to punish us so we would know what it felt like to have someone created in our own image that denied our existance\"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by csigirl69

I would just read each one and decide what would fit your lifestyle the best and your budget. The Atkins diet is one that should only be followed if your an O blood type, if your not it could do damage if your on it for a long period of time.
                          Hmm. Well, that's strange, I'm a type A, and was on a nearly-vegetarian, heavy soy diet for almost 10 years (which is what I'm supposed to do according to the Blood Type Diet), and I was never sicker. I had the worst PMS, cramps, endometriosis, etc., etc. Once I started eating more meat and eliminated almost all soy from my diet, my hormonal issues pretty much completely resolved (I can't tell when my period is coming due to how few symptoms I have), AND I lost weight (I gained all my weight, going from a size 8 to a size 14 on that wonderful low-fat, no-dairy diet). So I take that theory with a huge grain of salt, at least in my case.

Comment

I'm a type O and just cannot eat lots of meat like you're supposed to if you're an O. I like chicken best, and for several years didn't eat red meat at all, still don't eat it a lot. But I have come to appreciate a good steak []. We went on South Beach for a while and I hated it. I've been looking into eating raw foods too, there's just so many different things out there and I'm just not sure which way to go![:I]

Comment

Well I guess it just depends on who you are?? My mom and neice are o's and gain weight and cannot lose it when they eat chicken and I am an A and I do fine on chicken and fish but, cannot lose weight on beef and the atkins diet made me deathly ill[xx(] So I guess it just depends on who you are as to how something effects you? That is why I said research, research, research and try out a few to see what works best for you Also Teresa's GM/MM is a really awesome plan as well that alot of people have benefited from and it works

Mona Lisa

"God created teenagers to punish us so we would know what it felt like to have someone created in our own image that denied our existance"

Mona Lisa

\"God created teenagers to punish us so we would know what it felt like to have someone created in our own image that denied our existance\"

Comment

Working...
                              X