Kefir Expiration Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kefir Expiration Question

I bought some Kefir (I thought not too long ago) and finally remembered it in my fridge. The expiration date says 10/21/06 but it's not opened. Do you think it needs to go or might it be okay since it's not opened?

Debbie

Debbie

You know, I'm embarrassed to say, I drank very out of date kefir. It didn't bother me at all. I guess I figured it was fermented and had so many good things in it, I'd give it a try. And besides I have to travel to get to the health food store and that doesn't happen as often as needed, sometimes

But that was just me[]

[u]Lori</u>

Lori

Do not be confused, I am NOT a trainer just someone who has been around for over 12 years and talks too much!

Hopefully one of the many Certified T-Tapp Trainers will be along shortly, with the most accurate information.

My Success Story

http://sewfrench.com/

Comment

Well...I just wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask. I guess if I don't feel real fine afterward I'll stop drinking it.

Thanks Lori.

Debbie

Comment

Well, if it smells funny or is super thick I wouldn't drink it.
        I notice when mine is past due, especially the plain, it gets very clumpy.

Wendy

You can learn something from everyone you meet. Just listen...

Wendy

You can learn something from everyone you meet. Just listen...

Comment

Okay...I drank a 1/2 cup this morning and it wasn't clumpy thick [xx(] and it didn't smell bad! So I'll try to drink it up within the next five days or so.

Debbie

Debbie

Comment

We do that all the time with yogurt. When it hasn't been opened, it's usually still good LONG past the date, but it's pretty easy to tell if it's been TOO long!

-Moyne

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

-Moyne
            Holistic Health Life Coach

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

Comment

I was surprised when I opened a fresh bottle, this morning, at how *thin* it was[] of course compared to what I drank last week[:0]

[u]Lori</u>

Lori

Do not be confused, I am NOT a trainer just someone who has been around for over 12 years and talks too much!

Hopefully one of the many Certified T-Tapp Trainers will be along shortly, with the most accurate information.

My Success Story

Comment

If you really, really, really need to know, you could probably contact the company by their 800 number or contact them via email.

Kim

Life is just a bowl of cherries. Don't take it serious, Life's too mysterious...

www.thechicpeach.com

Comment

my friend's husband works in the food industry, setting up equipment to manufacture packaging. He's worked with gogurts and his word is toss after two weeks past the date on gogurts because the stuff starts to break down after that. I use the two-week rule on kefir too, so personally, I'd toss it.

<h5>Kate -::- Queen of Everything plus 3 boys! -::- </h5>

Kate
                  Queen of Everything plus 3 boys
                  http://mythyroidjourney.blogspot.com/

"We are so often caught up in our DESTINATION that we forget to appreciate the JOURNEY, espeically the GOODNESS OF PEOPLE we meet on the way. Apreciation is a wonderful feeling; don\'t overlook it." (Thanks everyone~!)

Comment

I had some store bought Kefir and it was past date and tasted fine. I make my own now. From what I understand Dom has kept Kefir for a year and it was still good. It just gets stronger. The thing I'm not sure about is if the store bought has as much culture in it since it is a processed product and that might be why it could possibly go bad. If it just smells sour and not spoiled I would have no problem drinking it.

Making your own is so easy and a lot cheaper. It cost me about $4 per quart for the bottled and it costs me less than $1 per quart making my own and it tasts wonderful and is very creamy[].

((((HUGS))))
                    Eileen

((((HUGS))))
                    Eileen

Comment

I didn't think the store bought got any more sour, but definitely thicker. Would that mean it has enough culture in it to hold up longer? Or just not enough information to know?

[u]Lori</u>

Lori

My Success Story

Comment

In general, kefir doesn't "go bad" since the lactic acid acts as a preservative. However, since commercial kefir typically contains less bacteria, less lactic acid is produced. So, better to be safe than sorry - smell it first. If sour smelling, it should be OK. Any trace of offensive odor, pitch it.

In any case, there isn't much point to drinking commercial (or for that matter, homemade) kefir after about 6-7 weeks, since most of the beneficial bacteria have died off by then. There will still be a small benefit from the remaining bacterial DNA, but certainly not the power punch of fresh kefir.

And Eileen, you're right. Commercial kefir is typically produced via the inoculation method, which results in less bacteria per consumed batch than culturing batches with live grains.

Lori, because commercial kefir has less lactic acid, it doesn't get too sour, even with age. It probably gets thicker because of the added ingredient, FOS (inulin).

Derya

<i><font color=\"maroon\">And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin</font id=\"maroon\"></i>

Comment

Derya, thank you for that explanation. You are a wealth of information! One day I will take the time and energy needed to figure it all out and culture my own. Then I'll be back with questions!

[u]Lori</u>

Lori

My Success Story

Comment

Working...
                          X