• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for Fit and Fabulous chapter 3

If you're new, here are the previous threads:

http://forum.t-tapp.com/showthread.p...307#post924307

http://forum.t-tapp.com/showthread.p...lous-chapter-2

Chapter 3 could have titled "Foundations of T-Tapp" because the information is not only what you need to get ready to -T-Tapp, it's also information you need to return to again and again.

Personally I still have some confusion about body types. There's a lot in this chapter, so let's dive in! Read chapter 3 and then post here your observations and questions.
    Kara, who is making little choices every day

"The little things you do every day matter. Even when it doesn't look like they matter. By the time you see the results, the choices are ancient history."~Charlotte Siems
    Wife to my best friend, grateful homeschooling mom to eight boys and two girls, T-Tapped through pregnancy

Hi Kara, I just finished Chapter 3. I'd forgotten how much she covered here before getting to the actual workout chapters!

I think Iím a pretty true combo, but like you, itís still a bit confusing. But when I read what she says is typical for combo body types it seems to be exactly what Iíve experienced.

My favorite take-away: ďWhatís important here is to set your sites on a goal that will put your own body into proportion rather than worrying about getting your waist size down to that of a model or a friend you might admire (okay, envy may be a better word) but whose body type may be completely different from yours.Ē This one sentence really spoke to me as a reminder to be my personal best and to not let my goals be distorted by things outside my control.

One question this chapter brought up was measuring in T-Tapp stance. Do most people do this? I guess Iíve been doing it wrong!

The other thing I liked in this chapter was the reminder about deep breathing. Iíve always felt this was an important part of T-Tapp but didnít realize it also helped the lymph system.
    Reading that made me want to take a deep breath!

Iím looking forward to getting into the moves in Chapter 4!
    Stephanie

Comment

I read testimonials and this time, I noticed how few workouts (1-2) it takes to maintain the loss for most.

3 years ago, I was thinking, yea, probably not me. 3 years later, yea, me too. In fact, I do way less than 1-2 short workout a week to maintain the loss.
      Ordered More and TWO on 7/7/2010, Started tapping on 7/30/2010.
      2011 30 Day Challenge Less to Lose Category Winner.
      2012 60 Day Challenge Trainer/TnT Category Winner.
      2014 60 Day Challenge Trainer/TnT Category Winner.
      2015 60 Day Challenge Trainer/TnT Category Winner.
      ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
      T-Tapp Trainer in Training

Comment

What a great idea Kara! I will go back and read the other two threads and catch up on my reading and will join you all. We have a 3-day weekend coming up so I should be caught by then at the very latest!
        Asha
        ďListen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery it is. In the boredom and pain of it, no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it, because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace.Ē ~ Frederich Buechner

Comment

Glad to have you, Asha!

Stephanie, I have that sentence highlighted.

Just like when we start with T-Tapp and we're excited to "get on with the moves" we cannot overestimate the foundation of this chapter. I'll give you a personal example.

I came to T-Tapp not having done any exercise for 10 years. I had had 9 babies and been on bed rest with most at the end of pregnancy (serious muscle atrophy). I had thyroid problems, was newly diagnosed with adrenal fatigue, and my hypermobile SI joints caused me a great deal of pain and severely limited my mobility, even walking. I started with MORE (after three "false starts"). I practiced my stance against the wall before each workout. I even did as many of the exercises as I could against the wall to check my form as best I could.

I got pregnant again and about halfway through the pregnancy I started having sharp pain during HDs. I e-mailed the office, and received very detailed instructions on curling my core. Come to find out, there were muscles deep in my lower abs that I hadn't even been able to feel that I wasn't activating. If I activate correctly, I don't have pain. If I do, I'm pain free. It took me a long time to get that mind-muscle connection. Now, I was losing inches the whole time, just not as quickly as I would have if I had been activating better.

We can't underestimate the foundations of T-Tapp nor assume we have them mastered!

Let's break this chapter down a bit. We read about:

The stance and the importance of form
          Body types
          Boot camps (there's a controversial one around here!)
          Breathing
          Water
          inches, not pounds (a hard concept to wrap our heads around)

Do you want to tackle in the order listed, or do you want to talk about a certain one first?
          Last edited by Gr8fulMommy; 08-05-2013, 08:44 PM.

"The little things you do every day matter. Even when it doesn't look like they matter. By the time you see the results, the choices are ancient history."~Charlotte Siems
          Wife to my best friend, grateful homeschooling mom to eight boys and two girls, T-Tapped through pregnancy

Comment

Hi Kara - I like the idea of doing them in order and will re-read "stance and the importance of form" and be back tonight.

Thank you for sharing your experience with muscle activation. I'm doing Trisch's Core Class right now and am hoping to get in touch with those very muscles!
            Stephanie

Comment

Kara, you're such a good teacher! I love how you're leading the discussion.

The stance and the importance of form

Before T-tapp I had done a wide range of types of exercise, including some dance, yoga (the slow kind!) and pilates (floor and standing, not on a machine), so I was already primed mentally for the idea of 'form' and it's importance to progress. The thing I found tough about T-Tapp was how different it was to every other kind of 'form' I had ever done, especially the tuck and KLT. It was overwhelming to try and remember it all at once and even though I wobbled like crazy the first time I tried it, it felt comfortable and 'right' because I was undoing years of bad habits - some 'natural' (lots of people in my family have turned-out feet) and some lifestyle - (i.e. slouching due to sitting in front of computer a lot).
              Tapping since 26th June 2011
              Lost 46" & feel full of energy!

Comment

Kara, I just discovered this thread and am considering joining you all. I will see howmuch I can read tonight without cramming so I don't miss anything foundational. I'm also doing Trisch's amazing core focus class and I think reading Fit and Fabulous will be a great addition to it.

Hi, Asha.....love you and miss you......still working at "Granddad's" house and not having much time to exercise, but as someone here said "I'll exercise my mind" even if I don't get around to the body! Eventually, I HAVE to get to the body, though!

Jean

Comment

Welcome, Jean. I've been dealing with some health issues and also "back-to-school" planning and company, so we're taking our reading nice and slow. I hope you'll join us.

The best way I've found to practice the stance is against a wall. Note to self: make sure you take your ponytail out before your practice or you will be throwing your head forward!

We talk about those "curl your core" tips, but how often do we do them?

Have someone read aloud the directions on pp. 54-59 while you practice getting into the stance against a wall. (I have to put my heels a few inches away from the base trim to allow for my rounded bottom.)

How does it feel? Can you do a pliť with good form? How about a hoe down? (It felt like I was falling forward the first few times I tried it because I was leaning sooo far back!)

Did any instruction stick out to you this time?

Comment

I find it interesting that the T-Tapp stance is something that can be worked on continuously. Some days are better than others, maybe because of concentration, maybe due to physical issues. But there is always something to work on. What stood out to me in reading this again was the explanation about bending your knees. I never really questioned it but she explains that the reason we stay bent the whole time is to maintain full fiber activation in the legs and this in turn keeps you from building bulk. One thing I've noticed is that my legs have gotten very strong and muscular even though I've lost inches. Compared to when I was in high school. I was in the color guard and all that marching gave me really bulky thighs. I've been practicing on the floor this week. Next week I'm going to move to the wall. Hoe Downs on the wall? Is that really possible???
                    Stephanie

Comment

I appreciated learning about the different body types Teresa has come across. I didn't yet measure to see what type I am, but I'm thinking I'm a combination since I usually gain on my thighs, butt and stomach area. I also copied out the chart so I can keep track of my measurements as I progress through the weeks. All those testimonies have got me excitedly anticipating my own inch loss story! I'm only looking to lose one size and only 20-30 lbs. to get me back to normal or what I prefer my body to look like. If I go beyond that because the workouts are so efficient and emptying my fat cells then so be it! I'll go all the way down to a 2 and 120 lbs. happily! =)=)

I'm starting with boot camp for four days (maybe I'll do seven or ten) and will be following that with the every other day workouts. I hope to see great results!

Only thing is, I didn't measure myself while in the T-Tapp stance. I may have to go back and re-do that part or I may leave it for now, but when I measure next I'll be in the stance. This is great fun!
                      Started T-tapp in '07! Started T-Tapp consistently 8/3/13
                      Start weight: 159 Starting inches: 36
                      Wife of my best friend, work at home schooling Mom to five precious little ones and one precious memory
                      ~ I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way...I will walk in my house with a perfect heart. Ps. 101:2~
                      ~...the joy of the Lord is my strength. Neh. 8:10b~

Comment

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. It's just what I need.

My favorite take-away: “What’s important here is to set your sites on a goal that will put your own body into proportion rather than worrying about getting your waist size down to that of a model or a friend you might admire (okay, envy may be a better word) but whose body type may be completely different from yours.” This one sentence really spoke to me as a reminder to be my personal best and to not let my goals be distorted by things outside my control.
                        Thank you for that, Stephanie! I struggle a LOT with wanting a model's body, which is ridiculous since I'm fifty years old and really never exercised before I was forty. Doesn't stop me from wanting it, though! I have lots of regrets over not getting in shape sooner and it's hard for me to accept that my stomach may never be flat again. When it WAS flat, I was soft and flabby everywhere else. Not fat, just out of shape--I so wish I had found T-Tapp sooner! BUT the point is that I am doing a lot of damage by trying to hide the bulgy belly--pulling my arms forward, which pronates my shoulders and consequently messes up my back. I must learn to accept the tummy so that I can get rid of the shoulder/back pain. And deep down I know that it's the only way to help those tummy muscles, too.

And this, Kara, is another inspiration.
                        Come to find out, there were muscles deep in my lower abs that I hadn't even been able to feel that I wasn't activating. If I activate correctly, I don't have pain. If I do, I'm pain free. It took me a long time to get that mind-muscle connection. Now, I was losing inches the whole time, just not as quickly as I would have if I had been activating better.

I have recently found some ab muscles that I haven't felt in many years, which was really pretty disconcerting, since I've been T-Tapping for 5-6 years. Somehow when I "tucked," I was only managing to pull in the lower ab muscles. The ones around the belly button just didn't do much. So I had gotten to a point where I looked good everywhere except above the bikini line (not that I wear one, LOL!) where there was a huge pregnant-looking bulge. I hadn't actually had a waistline in the front since my second pregnancy 22 years ago, but now it was just getting...Big!
                        It was really stressing me out. My daughter found, on another site, instructions for getting in touch with your transverse abs that said to get on your hands and knees, let your belly sink toward the floor, and THEN tighten tummy muscles. It was incredible to me. I could feel that area tighten up like it had not done in Forever! So I am really relating to your story of finding new muscles, though my blind spot was in a different spot than yours. I'm gradually learning to feel those muscles, though it's still very hard, and I have to occasionally drop down on all fours in order to 'find' them again!

I should pull my F&F book off the shelf and read again--y'all are giving me good food for thought! Thanks~
                        ~Ronda~

Married 31 years to my best friend, who can fix anything :)
                        Homeschool mom with 4 children, one super son-in-law and three beautiful granddaughters!!!
                        T-Tapper for 8 years, lost 30 inches and ended chronic headaches!.

Comment

Rhonda - I've been thinking about what you wrote. Over the years I’ve also obsessed a bit over wanting a flat stomach again. In college, my roommate and I joked that when we turned 21 our lower tummies pooched out seemingly overnight. We claimed that it was our arrival at “womanhood” but from that day forward I wanted to get a flat stomach again. Actually, today I’d just like to get back to what I thought was a pooched out tummy when I was 21!!!

T-Tapp and Senior Fit in particular have really helped to trim inches for me. In fact I’ve lost 6” in my waist and abs since I started T-Tapp in April 2012 (those mitten chops in SF are more powerful than you would think!). As happy as this makes me, I was still looking for that elusive flat stomach. What I’ve come to realize, though, is that I AM happy with how my body has changed over the last year and if I keep working on strengthening my posture and my core and in time that flatter stomach will develop. Getting in touch with those muscles takes practice and strengthening them takes even more practice.

Reading F&F is giving me so much new information that I can begin to apply now that I have a basic understanding of T-Tapp. The first time I read the book it was purely inspirational and motivational. Now I’m reading it in more detail and slowly so I can digest bits and pieces and apply it to my workouts.

I’m really glad Kara started this thread, I’m not sure I would have taken the time to do this!
                          Stephanie

Comment

Hey!

I'm a newbie. I've done the BWO+ for about 6 weeks plus a bootcamp. I just got the book on Thursday and I finished it today. Chapter 3 was my favorite. I do not drink enough water and I never realized this might be holding me back. Also, my feet are generally too far apart in my stance and when I was doing flat back exercises, I did not arch my back but kept it tucked. The book really helped open my eyes to that. I did PBS with feet a little closer and my back actually arched or more flattened while straightening each knee and I could tell a huge difference in the stretch of my hamstrings.

Comment

Working...
                            X