PDA

View Full Version : Grapefruit vs Grapefruit seed

Kathy70
09-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Which is the one Teresa recomends you drop in your water?

Kathy Evans
http://www.supakoo.com/eli/images/monkey.jpg

myCelia
05-11-2006, 08:26 PM
I have grapefruit seed extract liquid concentrate. Will this do? I searched the archives but couldn't find information on the differences between the oil and extract or whether or not they serve the same purpose.

myCelia :)

gillmings
05-11-2006, 11:24 PM
That's a totally different thing. Grapefruit seed extract is a natural antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal agent. And would NOT taste so yummy in your water!

Grapefruit essential oil is a alkalinizing food that is very beneficial to your lymphatic system, which in turn, also helps cellulite. I believe Teresa says it's very cleansing to your Lymph. system. Tastes yummy in water!

They're each good products to have and use, but NOT interchangeable.

-Moyne

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -Louisa May Alcott

myCelia
05-12-2006, 12:03 AM
LOL! OK, thanks for clearing that up, Moyne. The directions do say to dilute the GFS extract in water but it didn't mention how it would taste. Next time I have a cold, I'll try it and see if it works.

Editing to ask if any other essential oil works as well as grapefruit oil. I'm just not the biggest grapefruit fan.

sh99x
05-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Grapefruit seed extract in water tastes terrible, I have tried it. The oil tastes good to me, but you just need the tiniest amount in a full glass of water. My husband, however, cannot stand the grapefruit oil, so everyone has their own tastes.

gillmings
05-12-2006, 10:34 AM
I just put one drop to a quart of water and you can barely taste it. In fact, I was a little disappointed with the lack of taste. Of course, I'm also doing the Water Cure, so there's Celtic Sea Salt in there, too, which may alter the taste.

The other thing Teresa recommends, which is similar, is adding lemon juice to water. I add a tablespoon to my first glass of the day, to which I also add fiber. The rest of the day, I use the oil.

-Moyne

myCelia
05-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Yay! Good to hear lemon juice works too 'cause I add to to my water all the time. Thanks, Moyne.

myCelia :D

gillmings
05-12-2006, 10:12 PM
You bet! But don't use lime or orange -- Teresa says those are acid-producing. Funny how within the same "family" they're so different in how they affect pH!

-Moyne

myCelia
05-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Hmm, I'm curious to learn the reason why lime juice can't be used. Just pulled out my pH Miracle Diet book and on p. 115 it says that lemons, limes and grapefruit are very low in sugar (3%, 3% and 5% respectively) and all have an alkalizing effect on the body.

I know there are a gazillion different alkaline/acidic food charts and none are the same but lemons and limes are always on the alkalizing side. I do understand about oranges though since they have a much higher sugar content.

gillmings
05-15-2006, 05:40 PM
I have no idea. But Teresa says grapefruit and lemons okay, limes and oranges not. I don't know if it has anything to do with sugar content. There may be something in the newsletter archives about it.

Teresa said it, so I'm following it!;)

-Moyne

myCelia
05-15-2006, 07:16 PM
OK, was just chatting in the chat room with Cher, Niecy and Kirsten. Hope I remember correctly, I think it was Cher that said limes are alkalizing (though slightly less than lemons). However, Niecy mentioned that lemons or limes should be fresh and not processed. Kirsten had an A-HA moment and brought up pasteurization which ends up having an acidic effect in the body. Now this is good to know since I've been using pasteurized lemon juice (albeit organic). Guess it's time to invest in a cheap juicer!

myCelia :D

gillmings
05-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Minute Maid has a preservative free lemon juice (I'll have to check to see if it's pasteurized, but I don't think so) but you find it in the freezer section in a box, next to the frozen juice cans. You have to kind of look for it, but once it thaws, you keep it in the freezer and it tastes totally fresh and stays that way long enough for me to get through the bottle!

-Moyne

pebs
05-19-2006, 03:35 AM
hey moyne!

thanks for the info re: the grapefruit seed extract vs. essential oil! that's good to know! yep...you're one smart cookie, allrighty!;)

pebs

QE3
05-19-2006, 11:19 PM
grapefruit seed extract gets rid of intestinal yeast but it's NASTY tasting. I had to take 15 drops twice a day for a couple weeks, and OY!! I put it in unsweetened cranberry juice to get it down. I've had some nasty tasting stuff in my life and GSE ranks up there [xx(]

Kate
T-Tapp Trainer-in-Training, Houston
-::- Queen of Everything plus 3 boys! -::-

Lori French
05-19-2006, 11:31 PM
That's what that nasty stuff was!!! I have used it in the past for yeast, but I guess I never read the label! It was take your breath away bad and I can suffer down almost anything. I can't believe grapefruit essential oil comes from the same fruit as grapefruit seed extract[:0]

[u]Lori</u>

crs7777
05-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Hi all,

I was taking grapefruit seed extract in a capsule. Do you know or suppose it would have the same effectiveness as the drops?

Also, is eating a grapefruit a day as effective as taking the grapefruit essential oil?

Thanks a bunch,

~Christine~

"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it." - Anthony Robbins.

"What would you do if you knew you could not fail?" - Robert Schuller.

I can do all things through Christ....Phil 4:13

gillmings
05-20-2006, 10:50 PM
I only know that Nutribiotic is a good brand. I think I've seen that they came out with capsules, and if so, they should be good. I have put the drops in natural spray cleaner to make it "safe" antibacterial, et al, for the kitchen. For some reason, it's easier to "take" if you put it into citrus juice -- like orange or grapefruit, and keep stirring as you drink, otherwise it settles to the bottom and that's grosser than gross!

-Moyne